94 GT Convertible top misaligned

Lawman86

Reaction score
I can’t find anywhere online where someone has the info on how to align these darn things. The PO had a new top put on but in the center where the drivers door is it’s bowed in like it’s misaligned. Anyone have a convertible alignment schematic for a 94? I just got the car and this was the only issue it has. Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• 9EBDF006-FC8A-454E-84C1-F867DE23390F.jpeg
    9EBDF006-FC8A-454E-84C1-F867DE23390F.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score

Attachments

• 43B75279-676A-414B-98E6-2DC76A2705BE.jpeg
    43B75279-676A-414B-98E6-2DC76A2705BE.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 9

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I've never had to adjust mine. Maybe someone else will chime in. I know there was someone not too long ago having the same issue. Might be worth a quick google if you haven't done that yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I've never had to adjust mine. Maybe someone else will chime in. I know there was someone not too long ago having the same issue. Might be worth a quick google if you haven't done that yet

I have looked, I just can’t find anything. Let alone anyone saying where exactly it is. I wish it was a fairly easy process but it’s not, and convertible wise this is the only issue I have out of the whole top

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
Yeah I have that book, it only shows you how to adjust top, and not how to adjust frame. If someone with a 1994-95 is having these problems it would be nice to share the help. I’m disabled and can work on some stuff as long as I don’t mess my back up. The balance link adjuster has to be adjusted by an Allen wrench but cannot find where it is. I don’t know if it’s behind the kick panel, or above the door. The door panels where the main two pieces are sagging is what needs to be adjusted and it’s driving me nuts cause I can’t figure out where that adjuster is or the procedure. I’m not even sure 94-04 frames are even the same. From what I’ve been told they’re different.

delling3

Reaction score
I tried using the link provided, and had no luck finding the adustement screw either. I took my car to a shop that specializes in automotive trim, and he tried to adjust it. Turns out the top frame was bent, and there was not enough adjustment to make it right. Ended up finding a donor top frame. Not happy with what it cost me, but the results were excellent. Hopefully your's works out better.

Orl1mjf

Reaction score
Did you see this?
The second adjustment, the balance, is hidden behind the plastic quarter panel covers, which means removing the seat first. It's 10 mm and a 13 mm bolt heads, and not a lot of adjustment. This one is super-sensitive; about 1/16" up or down moves the header bow nearly 1" in the opposite direction. You can correct for out-of-plumb on the header bow with this one by moving one side more than the other to get the header bow parallel to the windshield. This one is easiest with the top folded down.

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
Did you see this?
The second adjustment, the balance, is hidden behind the plastic quarter panel covers, which means removing the seat first. It's 10 mm and a 13 mm bolt heads, and not a lot of adjustment. This one is super-sensitive; about 1/16" up or down moves the header bow nearly 1" in the opposite direction. You can correct for out-of-plumb on the header bow with this one by moving one side more than the other to get the header bow parallel to the windshield. This one is easiest with the top folded down.

Do you have photos or a link for me to see what it is I’m working on? I tried looking at it today and found a adjusting nut near the middle by the door but that wasn’t the issue. I don’t normally give up and take anything in to get worked on, but this ones about to break me. Let me know if you can find pics of what to adjust and where mine is, is the one right above the door window that’s sagging. It’s saying the balance link adjuster needs adjusted and I believe it cause this one definitely needs it. So If you or anyone can show me where the part is located you’ll get this medically retired law enforcement officer who’s got a broken back and replaced knee in that car and working on it instead of giving in to the shop

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
Alright. I pulled the seat out went through the steps of how to do it as best as I could find, mainly just guessing and seeing what moved. I’ve came to the conclusion that it’s either the seals are old and shrunken or someone’s about to get a 94 mustang GT with 130k pretty cheap.

Orl1mjf

Reaction score
The weather stripping is easily replaced, 3 strips on each side. Just watch the direction and order you remove the originals, I would label them if removing them.

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
I ordered new weatherstripping so we’ll see if that helps. They did look pretty old and torn

Orl1mjf

Reaction score
I’ve replaced the tops on 2 Mustangs now however I haven’t had to adjust the frame on either. Hopefully the weather stripping helps.

OP
OP
Lawman86

Lawman86

Reaction score
I’ve replaced the tops on 2 Mustangs now however I haven’t had to adjust the frame on either. Hopefully the weather stripping helps.
I just got the car and they have had it replaced at one time apparently but didn’t take all that good care of the top nor the liner. They took the liner completely off, and it’s an empty convertible with no headliner. It’s in the back and the screws are there. I may put it on there if this weather stripping fixes it. On the weatherstripping would you leave the top latched or unlatch it and replace that way. I saw one video of it on an old fox body but wanted to see someone who actually has done it

Monday

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online