94 gt cranks, wont atart

jwhisl

Reaction score
My 94 is pretty much done but it won't start. It has sat for the 2 years I've had it plus how ever long the previous owner had it. I have put in a fresh 5.0 and wiring nose to tail. I thought it might be the stuck pump so i put in another one I had laying around. Still wont start. I'm getting 11.89 volts to the pump when it cranks. I'm also getting fuel to the rails. I checked the filter too. I could start it with the original pump if I sprayed ether past the maf and it would run but no power to speak of. I'm trying to get it running so I can get it tuned. Any ideas?

toyman

Reaction score
You will need to test all the possible causes. You need air, fuel and spark. For air check air filter and MAF sensor. For fuel, filter, pump, FPR and injectors. For spark, the coil, distributor (PIP), ICM, cap and rotor.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure at the rail? You need bout 40psi with the vacuum off the regulator.
Put a NOID tester on the injectors to make sure they are getting the pulse from the computer to fire.
Did you test the coil? you might be getting enough jiuce to fire the eather but not enough to fire the fuel. Procedure is in your haynes/chilton manual.

RichV

Reaction score
Depending on how long it sat, the fuel may have varnished and the injectors are all stuck. A friend bought a Mustang many years ago with this issue, he replaced the tank, lines, and all injectors. Then it started. You can typically smell varnished fuel, it just don't smell right.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I finally got a gauge on it today and I'm only getting 15 psi at the rail. Any ideas?

RichV

Reaction score
Pump? Filter? FPR? all 3 can cause it. I'd start with the filter.

Can you hear the pump prime? Does it sound healthy? Nice buz/hum for a few seconds?

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
The pump does sound weak. I can barely hear it when it primes. The filter is new. I planned on replacing the fpr just because its old.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm on my 3rd pump now. It's a walbro 190lph. I found out that the pump is only getting 9v and that is why it wont build pressure. When I ran it straight from a battery i got a solid 40psi at the rails. Anyone know what can cause the low voltage at the pump? CCRM maybe?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Corrosion on the wiring? Loose connections? Another load connected to the circuit?

toyman

Reaction score
Remove and clean all the power/ground connections, particularly the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds. Peel back a bit of the sheathing to ensure there is no hidden corrosion.

kb1982

Reaction score
You need to check the voltage going into the ccrm. If that checks out, then probe voltage leaving the ccrm. No problem found still? Check the same before and after the inertia switch, then finally from the inertia switch to the pump.
2010-08-20_104005_94_mustang7_zpsd542c5f8.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

GTfiveoh

Reaction score
try pressing the pedal to the floor and crank it, if its starts let off the gas ASAP, you might have an injector stuck open

nolan62

Reaction score
I just put a new 5.0 on my 95 and had the same problem, no start. Turned out to be the distributor. I had it off about 2-3 teeth. Don't know how I missed it that much. But it kept it from starting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online