94 gt exhaust pop

darinmasse

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal car was popping at when cold and quick rev just one pop.and it stop it would pop at heavy acceleration a few time and popped.hard under load at wot. Did a tune up wires and plugs and cap and rotor were shot got rid of wot popping and heavy acceleration pop but still when I first start it if I give it a quick rev and it's every time even if the engine is still.warm from a previous cruise

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

darinmasse

Reaction score
Haven't checked but car was bone stock when I got it so assuming timings stock do know the distributor was replaced tho. Run mid grade usually and cai. And exhaust magnaflo off road x and Mac cat back dumps

OP
OP
D

darinmasse

Reaction score
Like I said only.pop last is when I first start it and give it a quick rev and its just a single pop.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Hmm.. Any 5.0 I've ever owned was cold-natured and temperamental under cold start conditions. Until they warmed up, they'd pop and snort like you've described. My 410w never does that, it just asks for more money and bigger parts lol

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Timing. Mine does this only when its cold. It got worst when i lowered the timing back to stock. When its advanced it runs better when cold.

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
If you don't feel like it, you could always try higher octane few and see if it goes away, but it sounds like timing.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Timing is perfect just checked

Up the timing a bit then get some higher octane gas and see what it does. Just to test it out.

How's the air filter and o2 sensors? Is it running rich on start up
* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

heavyfoot

Reaction score
I don't know if this is your problem, but I've heard that the smog tube going back into the mid pipe will cause popping of the exhaust.
Did you still have the smog pump connected and the smog tube connected to the mid pipe? If so, this could be your problem.

heavyfoot

Reaction score
I'm not saying that's the problem but I've read that it's been some peoples issue in the past. When I did my off-road mid pipe I went ahead and took all that out and I have no popping.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
O2s look original even say Ford lol and air filters brand new.

Get rid of them.. Mine were original too, car ran like garbage, smelled really bad too. New O2s in, car runs a million times better and doesn't smell!

Mikestang95

Reaction score
Check your coil plug pigtail as well. I know you said you replaced the cap and rotor, and I had similar issues on my 95 and I did replace both as well. Come to find out it was a bad wire on the pigtail that was causing it to arch out and not give a good connection.

It may not be the same for you but that part is only $10 and it saved me from buying a whole new distributor.

Aside from that it would have to be timing/electrical related somehow.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online