94 GT No crank - Trying to fix for relative's funeral

GS_Geoff

Reaction score
Hey all,

I mostly have GMs (boo, hiss) but my vintage pride and joy is a 1963 Falcon. Currently, I am trying to diagnose and repair a 1994 Mustang GT 5 speed. It belonged to my son-in-law, who passed away suddenly at only 25. We're hoping to drive the car in his funeral procession in 3 days. That said, it has a very frustrating no-crank issue. Not all the diagnostic/work has been done by me, but I am stepping in to help. I have a ton of experience working on GM 3800's and some on old Ford I-6's, but not the Ford small block V8.

Ignition cylinder is a little wonky, but turning key makes lights come on and hear clicks. Being a manual, it will push start.

Done so far:
Tested with 2 different known good batteries from daily drivers
Battery wires/connectors look good, no visible corrosion
Tested starter at O'Reilly's - OK
Used test light and found power getting to starter
Bypassed clutch safety switch - no change
Replaced starter relay - no change
Bypassed ignition switch - no change
Cleaned connections with starter - no change

What else do we need to try? My thought process is just replace the starter next, as it is 27 years old at this point. Anything we missed that would cause no crank?

Thanks,

Geoff

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you pulled the starter and it tested as good then I would not replace it. There is a fusable link that is on the power wire for the starter that comes down off of the fuse box under the hood. The link might have popped and need to be replaced. If you have a volt meter or test light check for voltage at the starter power wire, as well as with the key in the crank position on the trigger wire for the starter.

tinnocker

Reaction score
He must have got it running. Wish he would have told us what the problem was and the solution.

OP
OP
G

GS_Geoff

Reaction score
Never got it running right. Starter was replaced, clutch safety switch was replaced, battery is known good, ignition was replaced and the starter is getting power. Still no idea what's wrong. It can be started with a rolling start or by some Jerry rigged method his friend came up with, not even sure what he did, but now he wants to install a wire directly from the battery to the starter and just have a push button start.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The starter is getting power - I will assume you mean the thinner trigger wire going to it has 12v. With that being said does the power wire to the starter wire(The thick sob) also have 12 v on it? There is a fusable link on that wire next to the battery that can pop and be replaced.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
"...now he wants to install a wire directly from the battery to the starter and just have a push button start."
DUDE!!
Don't go knocking it yet.
I know it sounds all Fred Sanford and unprofessional, BUUUT...

Not only did I do this to my '64 Ford Fairlane (Not as cool as a falcon, but ran like a raped ape) because I was desperate at the time, but I ended up being thankful. I didn't even have a 'push-button' switch on hand, so I wired it to a household light switch, first just to test it but when it worked, I just left it!
It was ghetto as heck, but one day I was stunned to find someone had tried to STEAL MY RIDE!!
They got my Pioneer sound system, but my Fairlane was saved by the switch!!

Don't be too harsh on yourself if you go with the concept of "If it works, don't fix it!
Sometimes that can bring blessings in disguise.
Jus sayin!
Grego~

Gregomatic

Reaction score
There is a fusable link on that wire next to the battery that can pop and be replaced.
Scott, good call on the fusible link. It can be a nightmare tracking down a problem if one of those suckers blow and you don't know they exist, or what they look like. I never understood why they couldn't just put a little fuse relay inline instead.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Scott, good call on the fusible link. It can be a nightmare tracking down a problem if one of those suckers blow and you don't know they exist, or what they look like. I never understood why they couldn't just put a little fuse relay inline instead.
They pop too fast/easy in cases like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99