94 gt not running right

Aaronh007

Reaction score
My 94 gt started jerking and hesitating bad under 4k rpm. After I parked it and went to start it, it idled super low up to a little over 1k up and down then back fired. I tried to start it 3 times to get home, after the 3rd time doing the same thing it wouldn’t start. I’ve been scrambling for days for possibilities for the cause to make the dream cruise.

OP
OP
A

Aaronh007

Reaction score
what has all been done to it?
I bought it with a bbk cold air intake, screaming demon coil pack, msd cap and rotor, Ford performance plug wires, Ford performance short headers, catless h pipe, basanni axle back. Guy “claimed” he thought there’s an aftermarket cam in it. Everything else seems to be stock besides what I named.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did he mention ever having it tuned for that cam? The 94/95s computers didn't like many aftermarket cams and often require a tune do be done on them to get things right. I am not saying I would try that first, just curious if he ever mentioned it or maybe said it was a bama tune done on it?

OP
OP
A

Aaronh007

Reaction score
did he mention ever having it tuned for that cam? The 94/95s computers didn't like many aftermarket cams and often require a tune do be done on them to get things right. I am not saying I would try that first, just curious if he ever mentioned it or maybe said it was a bama tune done on it?
He never mentioned anything about a tune. It ran pretty smooth and nice for awhile until suddenly that happened. What exactly is a bama tune? Heard of it a few times

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
He never mentioned anything about a tune. It ran pretty smooth and nice for awhile until suddenly that happened. What exactly is a bama tune? Heard of it a few times
Bama is a company that will put a tune on a chip for you and send it to you. Am muscle and some other companies use them so they have a big name but are not known for really being all that great. I tried them and had issues with them.

If it was running ok and just started up then its probably not the tune. It could be as somple as a vac leak that a smoke check would show or it could be a loose harness from a broken clip that once its running and having issues that just jiggling the wires could show

Rod

Reaction score
I would start with the seaching idle, 3 areas are prone to cause 'seaching idle', 1 is the IAC- it can get dirty with soot and get sticky and freeze up, 2nd is the MAF the sensor wires get dirty and this insulates them from temp changes needed to control mixture thus idle issues. 3rd is generaly less of an issue but the purge valve can go bad, and if it does in the open position it will cause a vacuum signal issue. As for a general vacuum leak you can do a search with a unlit propane source, it will cause the idle to rise when if finds an open leak.

OP
OP
A

Aaronh007

Reaction score
I’ve changed the maf sensor not too long ago due to rough idling when it failed then it idled and ran smooth until my current issue. I was told to first check the tps, is there ways to check the iac or tps by a multi meter or anything?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can test the TPS with a meter. Check youtube to see how but IIRC you stab the 2 outer wires of the 3 in the harness with the key on and then move the throttle body butteryfly and you should see a steady increase in voltage. If at any point is shows an open circuit/no connection then it is bad.

For the IAC you can take it off of the motor and when you turn the key on you should hear/see it move. Doesn't hurt to clean it out while your in there.

Rod

Reaction score
Something to remember with replacing parts is NEW stands for Never-Ever-Worked. Test all parts, if there is a way, whether old or new before replacing/installing. Something else to concider is the age of our cars and the amount of wiring that is near 30yrs old. Wires and connections wear out too and may need refurbing.

Monday

Reaction score
Is there an old chip still in your computer? You should go over your MAF, but I'd check the computer as well. Capacitors in particular. I can't say enough on those capacitors. When I replaced my capacitors, it simply fixed most of my issues with most EVERYTHING ON MY LIST!!!

So many people say their 'MAF is fine'; 'the computer's fine'... this or that is new so doesn't need to be examined. That's where the bullshit lays. That is just laziness. If you're already there, do it right or don't don't even start.

When you're done with that, check the cam and crank sensors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online