94 GT Vert, need advice on budget HP increase

SN94

Reaction score
I have a 94 GT convertible (summer driver) stock block with 85k that I've owned for 14 years. I have a cold air intake, Bassani long tube headers, Bassani X pipe, deleted cats, Dynomax side exhaust, Performance Automatic Transmission, 3.73 gears, stall converter (don't remember to much on it), car was also tuned, but I also don't know too much about it, it was all done 10 years ago.

The car was bogging out with no power recently so yesterday I changed the distributor to MSD Pro Billet, MSD Ignition Coil, Ford Racing wires, Ford stock copper plugs, changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure (ok), changed my 2 O2 sensors, swapped back and forth MAF sensors with a new one (mine is fine), changed the oil 10w 30 Mobil 1 synthetic, ran some Seafoam threw gas tank & brake booster, cleaned the throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks (Can't find one)

After doing all this I thought I marked the timing well with the distributor but I guess it was off because I had little power and a burning smell after taking it for a ride. After I twisted the distributor a little and got better timing my car woke up but I'm going to use a timing gun today. The engine and car still shake at idle (sounds also like I have a aftermarket cam, which I don't) even though I did all the other stuff, I've read it's more then likely the Harmonic Balancer so I'm going with the Powerbond PB1084-SS to hopefully fix that issue.

After doing all this stuff I want to give the car some more power but I'm on a tight budge now and my car is pretty quick off the line but that's about it, no high end HP.

I'm looking for a upper & lower intake manifold off a 94-95 Cobra (Best Looking IMO) and I've been reading threads to have Tmoss port the lower. How much should I pay for the manifolds, and where is a good place to locate them, because I'm not finding very many on eBay or Car-Parts and I'm thinking $250-$300 for the set?

I'm also looking at a 70mm BBK throttle body and have been reading about GT40 heads.

I know the GT40P heads won't fit with my headers but if I get the 8-302 (5.0L), ID F67E-BA off a 97 Explorer listed on Car-Parts which I believe is a regular GT40, will they bolt right on and do they have the rear ports for the air pump if that's needed (or is that pre 94 only)? What needs to be done to them, port & polish, new valves, springs, do I need 1.7 roller rockers? If there is a better alternative for heads if to much stuff needs to be done to the GT40 what is it?

Would it be the right choice to get a cam also, I've read getting a Steeda #18 or #19 if that's correct is the best choice for 94-95 Mustang GT.

What's the most economical way to wake up my heavy Stang?

Vettn71

Reaction score
If you want the best bang for the buck, you might consider gears. Will make it seem like a totally different car. Most run 3.73 for autos, 4.10 with manuals, I use 3.55 with a 4R70W trans

jim

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
He already has gears... Im on the same boat as you. I have around the same mods as you and am looking for more power. The Cobra GT40 intakes are underestimated and are great intakes. Paired with a 70mm throttle body you should be good. The only thing is, if you are going to be changing the Intake Manifold, you might as well change the heads too. GT40 ones are good, but not really worth it. Even if u buy used, you need to upgrade springs, clean, port/polish, etc... and its gonna end up being 5-600. Might as well spend extra 2-300 for some trickflow heads. But the intake and 70mm throttle body should approx net you around 15-20HP if you gotta cai and a healthy setup.

OP
OP
S

SN94

Reaction score
If you want the best bang for the buck, you might consider gears. Will make it seem like a totally different car. Most run 3.73 for autos, 4.10 with manuals, I use 3.55 with a 4R70W trans

jim

I have 3.73 gears.

OP
OP
S

SN94

Reaction score
Might as well spend extra 2-300 for some trickflow heads.
5-oh which Trickflow heads do you suggest and should I also get a Cam?

TanTop94

Reaction score
Ha I said all you could do is HCI more like just put some boost in there you'll be fine!!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
More info like, what is your budget? What is your HP goal? and does your car get emission ck'd?
If you don't get e-ck'd then you can get more aggressive with the cam choice. You'll also need another tune to get the most out of the HCI swap.
Welcome to the madness. Look around some, Most all of your questions have been answered before.

RichV

Reaction score
If you want cheap and proven, nothing beats a GT40/p intake, heads, and if you can find a cam.

Used, you can do everything for $700 ish including gaskets. Here's deals I got local/net:

$125 GT40p heads with Trick Flow springs, 4 bent valves (add $50 for new valves)
$240 SN GT40 Motorsport intake (just like 94/95 Cobra)
$130 E303 cam

$100 for head gaskets, misc fluids, and other gaskets

I think I got some great deals on the parts, but you can find them. Just remember if you get Explorer heads (GT40 or GT40P) you will need to do valve springs, even with a stock cam.

410sn95

Reaction score
N2O or boost are best bang for buck, hands down.

kb1982

Reaction score
If you want do do as much as possible with as little cash, I would agree with going to a gt40 H/C/I. If you scour forums and craigslist, some great deals can be had also on aftermarket parts. Nothing wrong with doing it one piece at a time, all it will cost you additionally is a little more work and a couple extra gaskets amd fluids. Seems that the used market is getting pretty saturated with 5.0 parts, as more people are jumping ship and moving to 9.5 deck blocks (good for intake manifolds because the lower 302 manifold wont swap over to the 351), or to the coyote and mod motors.

Racsirx

Reaction score
N2O or boost are best bang for buck, hands down.

I agree and you don't even have to upgrade the HCI, but even if you upgraded to a cheap gt40 heads and cobra combo you would be perfect so you won't pass the hp limit of your stock block.

Mac65

Reaction score
I just did the GT40 kit in my 94, ported the the heads myself , valve job, upgraded springs and loving it... Plus it was a good learning experience porting the heads.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10001315_758553514163980_546559997_n.jpg
1901277_758553364163995_955371310_n.jpg

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Used Vortech kit for $1500, will put out 400rwhp on a stock motor or therabouts. You will not be able to replicate anywhere close to that power for that cheap in any other way except nitrous and that is only when you hit the button. You will need to upgrade the fuel system for a good HCI as well and a tune is mandatory with either so that is a wash. Especially seeing as your motor has 85k on it, that is just getting broken in I would for sure supercharge.

Racsirx

Reaction score
Used Vortech kit for $1500, will put out 400rwhp on a stock motor or therabouts. You will not be able to replicate anywhere close to that power for that cheap in any other way except nitrous and that is only when you hit the button. You will need to upgrade the fuel system for a good HCI as well and a tune is mandatory with either so that is a wash. Especially seeing as your motor has 85k on it, that is just getting broken in I would for sure supercharge.

If you can get a used vortech kit that's a S-trim or better for $1500 I would jump on that if it comes with everything, I sell used blower kits all the time and I get $2000 to $2500 for S-trims depending on what I give with them, also a S-trim won't get you 400rwhp on a completely stock motor unless you seriously pulley up the boost and run straight race gas, a S-trim is only going to give you 150-200hp extra depending on how you set it up and what octane fuel you use.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
With all the "bolt ons" 400whp is possible. I would assume one would be doing bolt ons and some suspension work before putting bigger power to the car from anything. I recently saw a few S trims go for $1500 on the Corral for 94/95 cars. Dunno. Even at $2k its still the best bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online