94 mustang gt head swap ?

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
New to the forum so sorry if this is the wrong thread! I have a 94 gt 5.0 all stock other then exhaust. I was told today I have a bent exhaust valve soo while I’m pulling the heads I’ve been told to run gt40p heads. I’m Mechanically inclined enough to pull the heads etc. but not too sure on modding ! So would I need a new intake aswell ? There is a gt40 intake upper and lower for sale near me Is this needed ? Any help is much appreciated thank you !

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its a fairly simple swap if all goes well. IF there is an intake close I would pick it up as well. You will need an upper intake elbow to allow the gt40 to fit on our sn's but its not a big deal or hard to find.

Werecow

Reaction score
The 94 that I had came with the GTP40 heads on it. Only thing I can tell you is you will have to watch your header clearances with those heads. The sparkplugs are rotated a bit from other regular Windsor heads. The no 6 plug if I remember right you will need to put in before you put the headers on the driver's side as you can't get to it with the exaust bolted up unless you have headers for those heads. Also make sure you do have the correct sparkplugs as they don't use the same plugs as a regular Windsor either, AWFS 32-C if I remember right are the right ones for them as they have a longer thread. Also regular 135 deg Ford sparkplug wires don't work on them either. They will shove the boots right against the headers melting them or burning holes in em in no time.. I used 90 deg Chev plug wires and they cleared just fine. You will pick up about 1 point in compression due to the smaller combustion chamber, and if you plan on running a cam with a lift over .500 you will need to change out the valve springs because at about .490 or so the stock springs will start to bottom out. Im not trying to deter you from running these heads as they are a great bolt-ons and you can pick up good power just by putting em on, just letting you know ahead of time what I've found out from my experience with em and maybe this will make it easier for you to be prepared for em when you get ready for em. Cheers!!

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
its a fairly simple swap if all goes well. IF there is an intake close I would pick it up as well. You will need an upper intake elbow to allow the gt40 to fit on our sn's but its not a big deal or hard to find.

Thanks for the reply! There is a upper and lower gt40 intake I believe off of a explorer? But I watched a video about the swap and heard somthing about having to drill a hole in the intake for a air fuel ratio sensor ? Just wondering how much modding is required and how much is just plug and play/ bolt on ?

Werecow

Reaction score
Junkyard Dogg has a pretty good YouTube channel and in one of his videos he shows how to do exactly what you're talking about. And if I remember right it's for an air temp sensor.. the way he explained and shows how to do it, it doesn't look too hard to do. Just a matter of having the right bit and tap to do it with.

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
The part that puzzles me is Where he’s talking about drilling the whole my car currently has nothing there ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the fox body cars used the AIT sensor on the lower intake but ours uses the maf. No need to drill anything to put it on.

Werecow

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't for sure wether or not it was a necessary mod for a MAF system... My bad, sorry..

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! So my next question is gt40p heads will bolt right on and the gt40 intake aswell I’m assuming.. will my bbk shorty headers bolt back up like they do now?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! So my next question is gt40p heads will bolt right on and the gt40 intake aswell I’m assuming.. will my bbk shorty headers bolt back up like they do now?

Yes the heads and intake will bolt right on.

Yes your headers will bolt on but you will have issues with the angle of the plugs and plug wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
What are the issues and how do you solve them ?

Check my first reply on the angle of the plug thing, it makes em hard to change plugs out, so you're better off putting fresh plugs in before bolting up the headers...

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
So let me ask this . If I’m at a junkyard pulling the intake off of an explorer will that explorer have gt40/gt40p heads ? Or the same as the ones I have now ?
Thanks again for the help!

Werecow

Reaction score
Look on the corner of the heads, most of the time it will have it cast in the heads right below the valve cover either GT40 or GTP40, also on the end of the heads the will either 3 bars (GT40) it 4 bars (GTP40) cast into the blocks. Watch Junkyard Dogg's YouTube on this one for other things to watch out for. He's got a couple of videos just in hunting up exactly what you're looking for.. Cheers and happy hunting!!

KC GRIM

Reaction score
I have the gt40p with trickflow intake manifold upper and lower. Love how it sounds so far. Still in middle of getting it all buttoned up. I’m boosted by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Sweet ! I plan on going to my local junkyard this weekend from what I hear I think I wanna go with the gt40 heads and intake .. also I have deleted my egr any specific years I need to look for ?

Werecow

Reaction score
Same ones will work.. you can use the ones you have or the ones in the explorer intake either one...

sluggish94

Reaction score
I like stock E7 heads.
I have E7s on all three of my Windsors.
By choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online