94 mustang gt head swap ?

sluggish94

Reaction score
And the goofiest statement of the year award goes to...............
emoji38.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy with six E7TE heads.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I have GT40P heads on my '95, as well. MAC made (makes?) a set of shorty headers that are P-specific, but you still need to run 90° boots. After burning two wires (twice), I also now also run heat-protective socks.

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Going to the junk yard tommrow my car is egr/smog deleted .. I need a non egr intake . Correct ?

TrickVert

Reaction score
If the intake/elbow has accommodations for EGR, you can install a block-off plate. I made one from the flange off my EGR valve by filling the holes with JB-Weld, smoothing it down, and painting it. It's not perfect, but was basically free.

IMG_20141216_173012 (Medium).jpg

sluggish94

Reaction score
If the intake/elbow has accommodations for EGR, you can install a block-off plate. I made one from the flange off my EGR valve by filling the holes with JB-Weld, smoothing it down, and painting it. It's not perfect, but was basically free.

View attachment 5930

Nice. Always feels good repurposing something that would have otherwise been trash.

What did you do about the connector at the harness?

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Okay last question before I start ordering parts!! Hopefully! Lol I’m gonna go with gt40 heads and a 93 cobra upper and lower intake... while The car is apart I’m thinking a e303? Will I have to modify anything with the setup I just listed above ? And also planning to use my same injectors

thanks for all the previous info it’s been very helpful!

Werecow

Reaction score
The "E" cam will be pushing it on the valve springs for either head as that cam has .498 lift and those springs max out or go into bind at around .500 lift so not much room for any play there. If at all possible you would be $$ ahead to change out the springs while you had the heads off and maybe toss a new set of seals on em when you do that for good measure, cheap insurance... That being said.. the '94 I had did have a set of the GTP40 heads with stock springs and an "E" cam on it. That's the way it was when I got it. There also was a lot of clatter in the valve train, I think whoever put it together left it with a lot of slack in it because it still had the stock valve springs in it as well. It did have a lopey idle to it and only 12-14 inches of vacuum. You never mentioned if you had a stick or an automatic, if you have a stick that's ok, if you have an automatic, it'll probably need a looser converter. And also it'll like a lil deeper rear gear as well, 3.73's work really well with it keeping the engine closer to the power band for that cam.. You can chance it with the stock springs if you wanna but as close as that tolerance is you do risk bending a pushrod..

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
I have a
The "E" cam will be pushing it on the valve springs for either head as that cam has .498 lift and those springs max out or go into bind at around .500 lift so not much room for any play there. If at all possible you would be $$ ahead to change out the springs while you had the heads off and maybe toss a new set of seals on em when you do that for good measure, cheap insurance... That being said.. the '94 I had did have a set of the GTP40 heads with stock springs and an "E" cam on it. That's the way it was when I got it. There also was a lot of clatter in the valve train, I think whoever put it together left it with a lot of slack in it because it still had the stock valve springs in it as well. It did have a lopey idle to it and only 12-14 inches of vacuum. You never mentioned if you had a stick or an automatic, if you have a stick that's ok, if you have an automatic, it'll probably need a looser converter. And also it'll like a lil deeper rear gear as well, 3.73's work really well with it keeping the engine closer to the power band for that cam.. You can chance it with the stock springs if you wanna but as close as that tolerance is you do risk bending a pushrod..

it’s a stick! Sorry forgot to mention and I’m gonna go ahead and have the valve springs put in !

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but can I run a cobra upper on a explorer lower ?

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Okay because I have this idea that if I can get the explorer lower for the JY for 50$ why pay 120$+ for the cobra lower. But I have a cobra upper off of a 93 available to buy ... so I can bolt this on any year explorer upper correct ? Sorry for a million questions I greatly appreciate every answer!!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cobra and explorer are the same thing. The only difference is the plate on the top saying cobra or what ever.

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score

okay so I picked up some gt40 heads today! I’m going to run a e303 but will probably be a year or so before I go for it .. am I able to go ahead and have the needed valve springs installed now and run my stock cam? Just so I don’t have to have the heads worked on again when install the cam??

thanks I hope that makes sense lol!

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh yeh, be time and money ahead to go on and have the heads worked up before you put em on, that way you've got em right when you install em. And they'll already have everything needed when you put the cam in instead of having to tear it all down again when you install the cam...

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Oh yeh, be time and money ahead to go on and have the heads worked up before you put em on, that way you've got em right when you install em. And they'll already have everything needed when you put the cam in instead of having to tear it all down again when you install the cam...

Ok sweet ! So just checking I can run diffrent valve springs with my stock cam ? And what valve springs would you recommend?

sluggish94

Reaction score
Ok sweet ! So just checking I can run diffrent valve springs with my stock cam ? And what valve springs would you recommend?

Yes, you can run different valve springs with your stock cam.

I'd recommend something like the TFS 2500100 Kit. It comes with everything you need: springs, intake and exhaust specific retainers, keepers, and shims if you need to shim the springs to achieve installed height. They include an installed height tool so you get them installed correctly.

I have the TFS 2500100 Kit on my iron heads with the stock cam and 1.7 rockers. It is a drop in kit, no cylinder head machining required for the springs.

If you want to support a smaller business I'd recommend Alex's Parts valve springs. They offer an array of complete drop in kits too, from valve springs meant to be stock replacement to valve springs that can handle over .600 lift.

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Yes, you can run different valve springs with your stock cam.

I'd recommend something like the TFS 2500100 Kit. It comes with everything you need: springs, intake and exhaust specific retainers, keepers, and shims if you need to shim the springs to achieve installed height. They include an installed height tool so you get them installed correctly.

I have the TFS 2500100 Kit on my iron heads with the stock cam and 1.7 rockers. It is a drop in kit, no cylinder head machining required for the springs.

If you want to support a smaller business I'd recommend Alex's Parts valve springs. They offer an array of complete drop in kits too, from valve springs meant to be stock replacement to valve springs that can handle over .600 lift.

I’m kind of a noob with valves and what not ‍♂️ But I was planning on putting my stock rockers and pushrods back in the gt40 heads.. is this stupid ? I’m just swapping heads and intakes because I have a bad exhaust valve in my e7s not looking for a drag car by any means lol just some cheap power !
Thanks again guys

Werecow

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with using your stock rockers and pushrods, that's just fine for what you're doing. The spring update is just in preparation for the cam that you're gnna do later. Both of the above mentioned spring setup's will work just fine as well. Look around, check what you can afford vs what you need and if you need to save up for a while that's fine. You're better off in the long run spending a couple of extra $$ than trying to go with the cheapest things you can find. It usually doesn't work out... Trust me... This doesn't mean that you have to get the most expensive stuff you first see either.. shop wisely and your will be $$ ahead instead of having to redo stuff over again cause you tried to take the cheap way out..

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Also! I ended up going with a 2000 explorer intake ! Anyone know where I can get an elbow? The explorer intake has a 90 on it now.. I don’t think it will work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online