94 Mustang v6 auto needs help, have 99 mustang 5speed v6 to use as parts.

caldeio

Reaction score
Quick backstory:
Crashed the 99 at 20mph in the front. Something shorted when the headlight was broke but it was running after until the battery started to die and I turned it off. Everything looks fine..well at least the parts I'll use.
I have 1 key and 1 keyfob (keep in mind for PATS)

Just got a 94 that has a good enough body but the owner lost keys and doesn't know what what wrong. Had locksmith come out and make keys, so I have keys. Turns over but has been sitting for who knows how long so I only tried the one time before I called for a tow.
Trans is locked up? I put key in and I can use the drive selector but its super stiff. Put in neutral and towed it but it was still locked up and acted like it was in park. The car rolls slightly, like 1 inch either way, so I don't think the rear is locked up.
Also putting the drive selector in any lower gear (1,2) then pushing up on it towards Park, it stops in drive and not neutral. Normal?!? tow driver tested this and Ill test tomorrow.

Question:
What can i swap over from the 99 to the 94? I have two almost complete cars so keep that in mind, I don't need many new parts I'd assume (good time to replace clutch, bearings etc etc...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to swap as many parts from the 99 as I can since it's newer and is cleaner and way less miles. Anything I can test or mess with to help you guys please let me know! I'm poor and need this to be a runner. :tongue3::grin:

Reaction score
Quick backstory:
Crashed the 99 at 20mph in the front. Something shorted when the headlight was broke but it was running after until the battery started to die and I turned it off. Everything looks fine..well at least the parts I'll use.
I have 1 key and 1 keyfob (keep in mind for PATS)

Just got a 94 that has a good enough body but the owner lost keys and doesn't know what what wrong. Had locksmith come out and make keys, so I have keys. Turns over but has been sitting for who knows how long so I only tried the one time before I called for a tow.
Trans is locked up? I put key in and I can use the drive selector but its super stiff. Put in neutral and towed it but it was still locked up and acted like it was in park. The car rolls slightly, like 1 inch either way, so I don't think the rear is locked up.
Also putting the drive selector in any lower gear (1,2) then pushing up on it towards Park, it stops in drive and not neutral. Normal?!? tow driver tested this and Ill test tomorrow.

Question:
What can i swap over from the 99 to the 94? I have two almost complete cars so keep that in mind, I don't need many new parts I'd assume (good time to replace clutch, bearings etc etc...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to swap as many parts from the 99 as I can since it's newer and is cleaner and way less miles. Anything I can test or mess with to help you guys please let me know! I'm poor and need this to be a runner. :tongue3::grin:

nearly everything

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Ok let me run down a quick list then to be sure
ALL interior
Rearend bolt up, but is 1.5" wider on each side
5spd bolts up but need to use driveshaft, joints, pedals, master, slave, which computer? which bellhousing?
topend for splitport swap I know but I'm confused on the fuel can I swap my gastank over to elimate the fuel rail mod?
shocks, controls arms etc all match right

So could I swap the guage cluster in if I swap the rearend, trans and 5spd computer. Will the odometer get it's signal and what not? Or does this need PATS stuff too?
The steering wheel in the 94 is pretty shody so I'm wondering about that too.

Reaction score
Steering wheel is interior so yes that'll work. You're probably going to need to use the wiring from the new edge though in order to put in the 99+ style gauge cluster. The 5 speed and rear end have no effect to the gauge being able to work or not. But I'm sure people like [MENTION=13494]alex302[/MENTION], [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION], and [MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] will be able to give you a good insight

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well, short answer.....everything accept body panels. You can use the engine, trans, and rear end from the 99. That being said, If you want to use the 99 computer you will need the pats module, column, and gauge cluster to be swapped over. To do that you will have to putll the dash (not as hard as it sounds). What is the end goal with the car? You can do the trans swap, the split port swap, and the rear end and keep you stock fuel system and computer. Youll need a custom tune to utilize the split port engine though. Itll run without the tune, but a tune is ideal.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
FYI the trans being locked up like that is not normal. I would pull the pan and see whats inside. Unless you want the 5speed then I would just swap it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would swap everything over. Make it like a 99 inside the car. Meaning, computer, gauge cluster, engine, trans, rear end.

You will need to do some fiddling with the rear end brake lines, you will also need to fiddle with the wiring, but it really won't be that bad.

Plus, if you do it that way, then you don't need to get a tune or anything. It's already tuned to be a 99.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
That's prolly what I'll do make my 94 a 99.

Ok how about this.. can I use the 94's radiator core, and inner aprons (frontend core support stuff) and put it on my 99? I've heard of the body panels bolting up but body lines not matching. That wouldn't be a problem here if the core support stuff works I'll use the 99 panels/lights/hood

-----------------------------
hit a snag today, the trunk is super rusty! Car had tons of junk in it when I got it and I didn't even notice it was this bad. finished cleaning everything out today.
I do not have a welder but I'd get one to get this working.
Gonna look tomorrow to see how bad it is and if it'll work for now.

oldfox

Reaction score
I think I would unhook the linkage from the transmission and see if it will shift.
your problem might be somewhere between the shifter and the transmission.
Just a thought

oldfox

Reaction score
Bump I was just wondering what happened did you get everything working?

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the shift cable has frayed and the cable is not sliding through to shift its likely in park..rust from sitting can do that, get your can of spray oil and get all the linkage and as much of the cable as you can. If the cable has frayed it needs replaced,disconnect and shift cable from underneath and you will know if its locked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online