94GT AC Condenser upgrade to 97 Cobra

GearGambler

Reaction score
I have the original condenser in my 94GT with 248,000 miles on it. Needless to say, it is BEAT UP. I can't imagine it flows very well.

I was reading that in 1996, the cobra had some cooling issues. In 1997 Ford released an updated design to the condenser. The 1997 condenser should fit with very minor modifications to the hose connections (need to be slightly bent to align).

I'm having a REALLY tough time finding the part number for this upgraded design. I'm on my 3rd condenser ordered and returned because it's still the old fin design. Can someone help me with the correct part number for the new design?

Example of the stock condenser:
Stock94Condenser_zpsyrxjsmbb.jpg

Here is the upgraded design:
SpectraCondensor97Cobra_zpstreyb42w.jpg

As you can see, the fins on the new design are much like a radiator. They are supposed to allow much more airflow compared to the densely packed fins on the stock condenser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
No love for the condenser upgrade. I've only been trying to do this since coming back from Mustang Week!

I found the right part number, and the condenser is on the way. Its significantly more expensive than the stock replacements because it is a Motorcraft unit. Part number is YJ-396 YJ396 F7ZZ-19712-BA. I'll put up some pictures once it arrives here, along with the installation!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
let me know how this works out for you!

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
The condenser should be here tomorrow. I already have the R134a gauges. I went by Autozone today and rented a vac pump. They dinged my CC for 155$, but I have 90 days to bring it back before the 'sale' is final. I also picked up 3 12oz cans of R134a from Walmart for less than 5$ a piece. How do they get the prices so low?? The install may be going on tomorrow night / Friday night. I am removing the stock condenser, Radiator, and suction / discharge lines. The Condenser is covered, the Radiator is a CC1488 polished unit from Champion, and the suction / discharge line is UAC HA 111321C A/C Manifold Hose Assembly.

Anyone have any input on adding PAG oil? I'm sure there's a bunch in there already. Do I need to add more if I'm replacing the condenser and one of the lines? Please let me know!

07GtS197

Reaction score
I would add pag oil just in case. There will be some oil in the refrigerant but its better to be safe than sorry.

ponyboy88

Reaction score
Have you come across any changes or upgrades to the air pump for the a/c? Mine was starting to rattle so I have gone to a shorter belt and windows open approach for now.

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
I would add pag oil just in case. There will be some oil in the refrigerant but its better to be safe than sorry.
Good point, but from what I understand, the PAG oil is only necessary when replacing the compressor and the majority of the oil accumulates in the accumulator. The two AC pros I talked to said it wasn't necessary when replacing only the line and the condenser.

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
Blog is updated (in sig). I got stuck in some NASTY traffic today. Kept the top up and the AC on BLAST the whole time while logging with the Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. Check out the numbers!

Magic

Reaction score
Nice write up on the blog.
Glad to see you can change the AC line adapter fittings on the condenser to make it work on the 94-95 cars.

MecGen

Reaction score
So just to confirm, you bought everything at the dealer? Did it come with the line adapters as pictured?

Cool blog

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
So just to confirm, you bought everything at the dealer? Did it come with the line adapters as pictured?

Cool blog

(one month later... cough cough... ) Thanks for the compliment! much appreciated. to answer you question - no. I bought the condenser used, but the part numbers and links in my blog are for the same on amazon.com. The condenser comes with the line adapters as pictured. The only 'modification' I needed to do was for the air 'flaps' that are on mounted to the sides of the stock condenser. I removed those and attached them with zip ties to the upgraded condenser. I had to cut some material so it fit flush but that was it.

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
Nice write up on the blog.
Glad to see you can change the AC line adapter fittings on the condenser to make it work on the 94-95 cars.

Thank you! I guess those line adapter fittings can be changed. I bought the condenser used, so I didn't change anything. From what I understand, the part number listed in my blog does not need anything changed. It should be a direct replacement.

FWIW - the line adapter fittings are different for the 03 cobra, but everything else looks the same. I'm pretty sure ford kept this design with only the need to change the line fittings...

OP
OP
G

GearGambler

Reaction score
Some part number's here, rather than referencing a blog, would be spectacular :) . But for the record, this is correct? And the lines will work 94/95?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-1...&qid=1476810761&sr=8-1&keywords=F7ZZ-19712-BA

That should be it. For the record - The blog is there so I don't have to post the same thing on multiple forums. And if a forum goes down for some reason (it's happened to me in the past) my blog will still be there. Its way easier to do my own write up and link to it, or copy paste, than type it out every time someone asks or I need to reply to a post. I hope it's helpful! FWIW, there's WAY more info on there than just a condenser upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online