95 cobra convertible spring choice

Duff

Reaction score
I bought the car lowered, and am thinking about going back to stock height springs, but can't seem to find any new ones for a 95 cobra convertible. I'd like to get close to the original spring rate that it came with, maybe something else would work? Any ideas?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried:
1. MotorCraft parts online
2. Maximum Motorsports
3. Late Model Restoration (LMR)
4. Moog

I’ve had a good deal of success getting stock or same as stock (like you mentioned) at my local NAPA auto parts store.
Just start digging!

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Yesterday, I contacted Eaton Detroit Springs, they didn't build the exact spring for my car, but recommended using the 95 cobra COUPE springs, they said coupe and convertible interchange. I'll also check out your leads, thanks for posting.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer MotorCraft because it’s original, but if the suspension components you’re looking for aren’t available, I would shoot for Moog next. It’s always been my default and the quality and fitment always bang on.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe car parts.com (?) but call and confirm for a convertible, or, and I hate to throw it out there because I had a horrific buying experience with them but you maybe fare better, AmericanMuscle.com. Earp!

TrickVert

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but why do you want to go back to the stock "4x4" stance? There are a number of choices that allow you to maintain some drop and not affect the ride quality or handling negatively.

P. S. I'm nearly certain coupe and convertible rear springs are different.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Have you tried:
1. MotorCraft parts online
2. Maximum Motorsports
3. Late Model Restoration (LMR)
4. Moog

I’ve had a good deal of success getting stock or same as stock (like you mentioned) at my local NAPA auto parts store.
Just start digging!
Jim at www.performancepartsinc.com is the largest nos Mustang parts dealer in US. Give him a try. Tell him Wayne sent you.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but why do you want to go back to the stock "4x4" stance? There are a number of choices that allow you to maintain some drop and not affect the ride quality or handling negatively.

P. S. I'm nearly certain coupe and convertible rear springs are different.
Man wants stock springs. Man should get them for his car! Perhaps he wants to go full stock. I can respect that(thumbs up)

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So Duff,
Did you ever source your parts? Hope you were successful and got the car set up how you want it. Cheers!

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
I'm changing back to stock springs, for a better ride, no more scraping on everything and I'm old, and it's tougher to climb in and out of a lowered car, (young guys, just wait and see) I do like the way the car looks lowered, but too many trade offs for me. I haven't got my springs yet, still looking at all options, I did find a set of used 04 Cobra vert springs, but not sure if I want to go the used route. I've been battling a leaking radiator and a belt squeal, it's been tough! I'm definitely doing the springs before good weather.

delling3

Reaction score
Wish I would have known that someone wanted stock springs - I just trashed the stock springs from my '96 Vrt after I swapped em out for a set from BBK. FWIW, the convertible springs have a slightly increased spring rate, due the the added weight of the convertible. If you swap in coupe springs, the car will sit slightly lower than with convertible springs, but no as low as lowering springs.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I did some research, and you're right, the convertible weighs about 200 lb. more than the coupe. If using coupe springs sits it a half in lower, that'd be OK, at this point, I'm all about the ride quality.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Hopefully, it'll set more or less level, I don't want the front end to be higher than the back. I'm going to look at spring rates for mustangs and will post the results of what I buy.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Yes, do your homework. You might want to give Eibach a call and ask if they still recommend different rear springs 'vert vs. coupe. A dealer should still have OEM part numbers available to check as well.

EDIT: By the way, I'll never get rid of my 1.5" drop on the Stang, but the "getting older" thing did give me pause when considering lowering springs for my TLX. Dammit, it would look good, but I don't think I'd want to deal with it daily.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
My research shows a 1995 GT convertible is only 72 lbs lighter than a Cobra convertible, so I'm going to go with those in MOOG. There really isn't much available in stock height springs, since everybody is going the lowered route, my target spring rate is 400 front and 160 rear. I've bought several sets of springs from Eaton Detroit, and always had great service, but for some reason they can't tell me the spring rates for the springs they show online. (weird)

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Well, I installed the new springs, shocks and struts and just had the car aligned this morning, rides and handles the way an old guy wants, no more scraping on everything and I can get a floor jack under it if needed. While I was there, I went ahead and removed the factory oil cooler and lines, I could see the potential for leaks and I don't think the hoses are available? Had it been the type with the cooler type in the grill and not circulating hot water, I would've left it on, anyways, now I can run an FL 1A filter!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online