95 Cobra Coolant Leak

1Fine99

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone could help pinpoint where this leak (well, it's more of a seep) is coming from. I think it is coming from the water passage in the timing chain cover but I'm not 100% sure. It only appears if the car hasn't been driven in 3 or 4 days.

Also, if anyone has replaced the timing cover on their 94/95 and has advice/tips that would be great!

1328fac2-da42-4d5f-b363-47fd21619b78_zps9spxtult.jpg

ster302

Reaction score
it looks like a timing cover to me but make very sure the the thermostat housing or intake isn't dripping down. My gt sprung a very slow thermostat gasket leak that looked like a timing cover for the longest time til I caught the drip from thermo by accident. As far as tearing it apart, I haven't done one in a while but I do know some of the longer pump bolts like to freeze up in the cover and break but other than that pretty straight forward from what I remember.

G_94_T

Reaction score
To puddle in that spot,i would say the leak is coming from above....thermostat housing or lower intake

OP
OP
1Fine99

1Fine99

Reaction score
it looks like a timing cover to me but make very sure the the thermostat housing or intake isn't dripping down. My gt sprung a very slow thermostat gasket leak that looked like a timing cover for the longest time til I caught the drip from thermo by accident. As far as tearing it apart, I haven't done one in a while but I do know some of the longer pump bolts like to freeze up in the cover and break but other than that pretty straight forward from what I remember.

To puddle in that spot,i would say the leak is coming from above....thermostat housing or lower intake

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it isn't coming from the t-stat housing or bypass hose. I don't see any moisture above the area where it is damp. It seems to be concentrated around the water passage in the timing cover. Either way, I've ordered a radiator pressure tester so when that arrives hopefully I can pinpoint the leak. Hopefully for my sake it's just the timing cover!

WHTEVNM

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it isn't coming from the t-stat housing or bypass hose. I don't see any moisture above the area where it is damp. It seems to be concentrated around the water passage in the timing cover. Either way, I've ordered a radiator pressure tester so when that arrives hopefully I can pinpoint the leak. Hopefully for my sake it's just the timing cover!

Did you figure out the leak? I am having the exact same issue.

87hurricane

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time telling the exact location from the picture, but that's above your water pump/timing cover right? If so, I'd lean towards t-stat or upper rad hose leaking at the t-stat. I've never seen a timing cover leak upwards, they always run off the side and drip around the crank.

OP
OP
1Fine99

1Fine99

Reaction score
Did you figure out the leak? I am having the exact same issue.

I'm having a hard time telling the exact location from the picture, but that's above your water pump/timing cover right? If so, I'd lean towards t-stat or upper rad hose leaking at the t-stat. I've never seen a timing cover leak upwards, they always run off the side and drip around the crank.

Yes I got the leak figured out. I pressure tested the system and it was the water passage in timing cover. Here is a picture of the water passage on the old timing cover. You can see the only area where any of the old gasket stuck was around the water passage. Coolant was also leaking downwards. If you look closely in the first picture you can see discoloration on the block and oil pressure sender where coolant was leaking.

I've put about 500 miles on the car since the repair and so far there are no coolant or oil leaks. If you have any more questions let me know.
leak_zpsafyiobpc.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.