95 cobra r

mike stevens

Reaction score
I've been reading up on the cobra r. It seems the suspension package is using a different thought process. Very heavy on the spring rates and softer front swaybar and bigger for the rear bar. Did I get my info correct?

Anybody know what the actual sizes are?

Mike

beyondEOD

Reaction score
If that is the case it sounds like they were removing some of the understeer to get the car more neutral.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
If that is the case it sounds like they were removing some of the understeer to get the car more neutral.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Exactly. Plus the heavier 351W will make the car more nose heavy, making understeer worse Also remember the cobra R required a competition license to buy, so Ford expected a better league of driver behind the wheel. They were intended as track cars for the most part.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ralph Baumhardt

Reaction score
Having had access and driven a 95 cobra R the handling is much improved over the gt. The car had most creature comforts removed, such as the ac, Radio, no power windows, 6 cylinder seats which are much lighter than the gt power seats. Also the rear seat was removed. Ford used Koni shocks and struts and installed a fuel cell. Also Ford had trouble selling the cars, the one my friend bought sat on a dealers lot for over a year.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I've been reading up on the cobra r. It seems the suspension package is using a different thought process. Very heavy on the spring rates and softer front swaybar and bigger for the rear bar. Did I get my info correct?

Anybody know what the actual sizes are?

Mike

I contacted a friend with a 1995 Cobra R and he sent me these specs:

1995 Cobra:

Sway Bars: 25mm F, 27mm R
Springs: 400 lb./in. linear F, 160 lb./in. linear rate R

1995 Cobra R:

Sway Bars: 30mm F, 27mm R
Springs: 700/850 lb./in. progressive F, 200/260 lb./in. progressive R

The big difference comes in the Adjustable Shocks and Struts used on the Cobra R. They allow you to dial in understeer and oversteer and compensate for larger sway bars and poor weight distribution (among other things).

The Cobra's smaller front sway bar was likely an attempt to limit understeer. Most Mustangs from that era came with "factory installed" understeer.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I contacted a friend with a 1995 Cobra R and he sent me these specs:

1995 Cobra:

Sway Bars: 25mm F, 27mm R
Springs: 400 lb./in. linear F, 160 lb./in. linear rate R

1995 Cobra R:

Sway Bars: 30mm F, 27mm R
Springs: 700/850 lb./in. progressive F, 200/260 lb./in. progressive R

The big difference comes in the Adjustable Shocks and Struts used on the Cobra R. They allow you to dial in understeer and oversteer and compensate for larger sway bars and poor weight distribution (among other things).

The Cobra's smaller front sway bar was likely an attempt to limit understeer. Most Mustangs from that era came with "factory installed" understeer.

That's likely because factory oversteering + inclement weather = poor drivers suing Ford for "unsafe" handling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mike stevens

Reaction score
I'm starting to set up my GT to go racing. I would like to start my chassis setup with this package. Nowhere can I find the suspension parts for the R car.

Warhorse thanks for the info. Does your friend know the wire diameter for the springs? It's another way to research this out.

Mike

waynenorcross

Reaction score
I'm starting to set up my GT to go racing. I would like to start my chassis setup with this package. Nowhere can I find the suspension parts for the R car.

Warhorse thanks for the info. Does your friend know the wire diameter for the springs? It's another way to research this out.

Mike
Try Jim at Performanepartsinc.com. tell him Wayne sent you.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score

Mike

Are you specifically looking to build a 1995 R clone, or are you just using the 1995 R as a guide for racing mods?

I only ask because there are lots of factors that go into making these cars handle, and it is possible to get an SN95 to handle better than a 1995 R. Are you planning on road racing, or autocross? If you plan on autocrossing, I'm happy to help with setup advice. I have a lot of experience autocrossing these cars.

OP
OP
M

mike stevens

Reaction score
I'm planning to go roadracing. Class rules are that springs must be in stock location. In the CMC NASA class, swaybars are limited to stock mounting type with size limits. The cobra R swaybars fit those rules.

Mike

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I'm planning to go roadracing. Class rules are that springs must be in stock location. In the CMC NASA class, swaybars are limited to stock mounting type with size limits. The cobra R swaybars fit those rules.

Mike

You should be able to find a 30mm OEM front sway bar pretty easily. MPS Auto Salvage in GA should have them for less than $50. I did some checking and it looks like the 27mm OEM Cobra rear sway bars had a tendency to break, so they might be hard to find. Eibach makes a 24mm and Steeda makes a 1" (25.4mm).

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
You should be able to find a 30mm OEM front sway bar pretty easily. MPS Auto Salvage in GA should have them for less than $50. I did some checking and it looks like the 27mm OEM Cobra rear sway bars had a tendency to break, so they might be hard to find. Eibach makes a 24mm and Steeda makes a 1" (25.4mm).

Good medicine from Warhorse. My rear sway bar broke around 2002 going up & over an incline into the back lot of the Ford dealer. I went with an '01 Bullitt rear sway bar and, iirc, it was the same specs as the Cobra.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I'll be replacing the original front sway bar from my '95 R and replacing it with a Griggs piece.
Thes specs you got for the '95 R look correct. The original springs are variable rate. I have the original front Koni struts from my car. The Griggs Wold Challenge front control arms require a shorter Fox front strut. Griggs does not like using variable rate springs, but they're likely better than the stock Cobra springs.
If you're interested in the Koni fronts or the sway bar let me know.
What you're looking to do sounds like a lot of fun. My car is way too modified to race in anything other than SCCA Super Production or possibly NASA AIX.
I'm not really interested in doing that to this car, besides, I'd have to make a bunch more changes like full cage, window net, master on-off switch, etc.
Seriously, you may want to consider calling Griggs and just picking their brains about what they think you can and should do given the rules you'll be running under. They are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to road racing Mustangs.
Perry

waynenorcross

Reaction score
If I remember correctly they broke because they were hollow but there was a replacement available.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
If I remember correctly they broke because they were hollow but there was a replacement available.

I've never used an OEM 27mm rear sway bar, but I have used other OEM solid and hollow rear sway bars. After years of autocrossing, I've never broken an OEM rear sway bar, but it's possible the 27mm bars have an issue.

I'd like to know what sway bars the OP is allowed to use within the rules. Choosing the right sway bars depends on a lot of other factors and mods.

JoeAsheville

Reaction score
The rear bar on the SN95 was not hollow. However, it was a poorly designed band aid on a poorly designed rear suspension, carried over from an economy car designed as a replacement for a Pinto derivative designed during the oil embargo during the early seventies.

The rear sway bar breaks at the rear mounting hole on the passenger side from repeated work hardening during intended operation. It can be re-welded, but it will simply break again. It's a weak spot.

The R's handling was a tested package. I find it interesting that people are discussing spring rates, sway bars, and shocks/struts but neglecting to mention the cross section of the tires. The original tuning of the R was done with 255s. Most (if not all) have been replaced with 275s. With the 255s, the car is a very neutral handler and drifts easily, in spite of the diabolical design of the rear suspension.

The best advice in the thread is to simply have a discussion with Griggs. A key part of the conversion will be class rules. They will be able to put together a competitive package for you within those rules.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell