95 Cobra Turn signal blowing fuses

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
So I have been battling this issue since I bought the car 2 years ago. The turn signals will blow occasionally while driving, but the most recent thing I found puzzled me now with a new fuse the passenger front doesn't flash but will turn on when headlights come on. I have swapped one relay in the truck the front bulbs and connectors as well. Hazards used to work but now don't even turn on and the car as stated only pops fuses when driving. I will say the car has been highly modified built rear end, trans, turbo kit, Holley terminator x, and pro dash. I am looking for key areas that people have experienced for shorts and what I am up against anything helps, TY.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the turn signal up front coming on and staying on is normally a sign the rear is burned out but it could also be a short that is causing the fuse to blow possibly. It could also be the multifunction switch which is known to go bad. Start by checking the connections at the lights.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
the turn signal up front coming on and staying on is normally a sign the rear is burned out but it could also be a short that is causing the fuse to blow possibly. It could also be the multifunction switch which is known to go bad. Start by checking the connections at the lights.
I do know that both rear lights flash and function normally as well as the driver side front turn signal. I have tried shaking and tugging the front passenger light harness and have not caused any shorts as of right now. Also another thing I did not notate in here the interior makes the clicking sound as if it works wouldn't that mean its not a switch failure or is that incorrect?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the flasher uses the resistance of the bulb to determine how long if flashes. When the bulb is burned out, or there is a bad connection it will stop working. They are simple enough to swap out if you want to try it.

Another thing I forgot to mention was the hazard. with it being on top of the steering wheel dust can build up between the switch and the cover and then when you push the switch you push the dust down into the switch and it can interfere with the connection. That switch is the last thing that the turn signals and everything goes through so when it gets dirty it can cause strange problems. The time it happened to me I just pushed the switch 8-10 times and was able to work the dirt through it I guess because it has worked ever since.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Where can I buy a replacement to test that? I also did buy a short tester that comes in today that I am going to use around the car to try and find where my issue is. On the note of the hazards I will mess with that and see if that may be the problem at this point I find it likely this wiring was removed during the eco and dash swap.

NEURON

Reaction score
Do you remember what you had done on the car before this started happening, hoping you didn't do everything at once.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Everything kind of got done at the same time Trans turbo kit engine swap Holley term x and dash all at once, but the turn signals never worked before always blew a fuse the hazards would work when it had a good fuse in it now they don't work at all and the passenger turn signal not flashing at all is a new issue it used to work when a good fuse was in it.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Another update I bought a short tester a power probe ect3000 and it was useless. I plugged it into the circuit in place of the blown fuse it was signaling for a open circuit I believe this is because the short is happening under only certain conditions. After messing with the tester for an hour or so I then started shaking and tugging wires while have a new fuse in place trying to get it to blow. I was able to get the hazards to work again by pressing it a handful of times which is nice, but I still have not found the reason I am having a short the front passenger bulb still does not flash at all but is getting power still. I went to my parts store and replaced both relays one by me pedals and the fuse box, and I found another in the trunk after I gutted and the carpet and trim out its a little odd looking and looked like someone has tampered with it both flashers we LED flashers and the only ones carried at auto zone they told me this will not affect and LED flash going to halogen only if roles were reversed. At this point I am looking for any advice at all or any common areas where this is known to short. I have already checked the clutch quadrant and brake padal wiring and although there is some electrical tape that was put there before I see not possible open for short. I also believe it is not shorting to ground I think it is shorting to an active wire as it seems it'll short even when the brake lights turn signals nor hazards are active. The yellow wire shown in photo seems to possibly be a ground but doesn't seem to cause any issues this relay is in the trunk but doesn't click when turn signals nor hazard being on and I still replaced it and same issue no noise. I also did check for a relay behind the glove box for hazards that I have seen before but didn't see any on mine. Once again anything helps I am currently wanting to find the short then I will figure out why front passenger turn signal doesn't blink at all.IMG_7511.JPG

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
"I am having a short the front passenger bulb still does not flash at all but is getting power still" - How have you confirmed that it is getting power and that there is a short?

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well I am assuming a short because I am blowing fuses on that circuit I have confirmed power to the bulb not only with a multimeter but also when the headlight is on it comes on but on the other hand it isn't flashing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well yes there is a short somewhere but it sounded like you had it narrowed down to the pass front is why I was asking how you knew it was there. Is the bulb that is not flashing LED? If so take the bulb out and flip it and see if it comes on as they are polarized unlike the halogen bulbs and need to have the + and - aligned correctly.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
It’s a halogen with a brand new bulb and socket I have even tried flipping driver and passenger and it still didn’t work.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so you have 12 v on the parking light(brown wire) as well as on the turn signal/flasher wire(I don't have that memorized) when flashing?

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well I have power at the socket when headlights are on with a good fuse. I have not taken a reading at the relay so I will have to try that, but I do know I don’t have any sort of pulsing signal to make the light flash at this point I can only assume it was removed during the swap.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just want to make sure you are not testing the brown wire for the flashing/turn signal. Again the hazard switch is the last portion of the hazard/turn signal circuit that splits the lines out to each corner. If pushing it helped a little, try a little more as its possible that the only dirty contact left is the one for that corner.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
I will double check today, and also try the hazard switch some more as well maybe even removing the cap on it and cleaning it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could try a light spray of some wd40 around the switch to see if it will loosen up any crud that is in there. Not sure they come apart though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online