95 Cobra Turn signal blowing fuses

07GtS197

Reaction score
Here’s a diagram of the 94-95 turn signal wiring.C7150B0E-95C1-42DB-B249-75207990D03E.gif

The diagram is a little misleading because it shows two bulbs for the front turn signal. I think whoever made it did it for clarity. I don’t have my Haynes manual near me at the moment either so I can’t check it against that. I believe there are two circuits for the turn signals, one for parking lamps and the other for the turn signal. I can see how the parking lamp will still work even after the turn signal fuse blows. Since they both share a ground it’s not the ground side. It’s on the flasher circuit somewhere. My guess is it splits off from the multifunction switch, Scott would probably know. That being the case, pull the shroud and check for continuity from the switch to the appropriate pin on the turn signal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes that is what I have been telling you, there are 3 wires going to the bulb. One is common, one is for the parking lights(brown) and one is for the turn signal. Yes they show two bulbs in the schematic even though there is only one because there really isn't a schematic symbol for a bulb with two filiments in it. If you have 12v on the brown wire, that does not mean that it will flash for 12v on the signal. I am still trying to figure out what wire you have tested.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
The brown wire does give off voltage the I believe blue/ white one does not brown only shows power when a new fuse is in and the headlights are on.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is the way it is supposed to work, but now you have no power on the blue/white when the turn signal is on? It should flash 0/12v/0/12v

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Correct so for some reason I have 12v on brown but nothing on blue white even with new fuse in and signal active.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Looking at that schematic above, if the bulb is good and the fuse is good (granted there is actually power at the fuse), then you either have a bad flasher relay, multifunction switch, or hazard switch.

Check power to the flasher relay, if it’s there, then you should be able to check for power coming out of the flasher. You should be able to do that by pulling the column apart and testing at the multifunction switch.

I’m not trying to be rude, just helpful, but you know how to read a wiring schematic right? If not, we can coach you through that.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought a new multifunction switch as they aren't expensive and it needs replaced anyways I have already replaced both relays and didn't see a difference there so it can't be that I would love to know what the relay in my trunk was if anyone knows.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if I am reading it right and the other 3 lights are flashing, its not your flasher. If none of the lights are flashing then yea, it might be.

If you look at the schematic above it takes the signal and then breaks it out to the different bulbs at the hazard switch. Get under the dash and find the white/blue wire there and see if it has power. If it does then there is a bad connection between the hazard and the light, if there is no power there then its your hazard switch and I would again recommend pushing it in/out 3-4 dozen times to try to clean it out. A squirt of wd40 around it probably would not hurt.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
if I am reading it right and the other 3 lights are flashing, its not your flasher. If none of the lights are flashing then yea, it might be.

If you look at the schematic above it takes the signal and then breaks it out to the different bulbs at the hazard switch. Get under the dash and find the white/blue wire there and see if it has power. If it does then there is a bad connection between the hazard and the light, if there is no power there then its your hazard switch and I would again recommend pushing it in/out 3-4 dozen times to try to clean it out. A squirt of wd40 around it probably would not hurt.
Yes that is correct every other bulb is functioning fine. I ordered the multifunction switch and will replace it Sunday when it gets in and that will eliminate it as a possibility. I did try pressing the hazard switch a handful of times and it still seems there is some resistance I will try some wd40 today and see if that makes a difference. At this point I believe my problem may be the wire was removed when everything was swapped over and I still have a short somewhere.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
At this point I have spent a lot of time looking into re wiring the car as so many different people have messed with the wires the car is a complete mess.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am betting its the switch. There is a lot going on in there, constantly used and known to go bad

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Well I will update this Sunday when I swap it out I also have to find a bad ground somewhere in my Holley setup causing my sensors to go haywire.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Alright a big discovery has now been made I know why I don’t have front passenger turn signals my suspicion was correct the cable was disconnected in the swap. I checked for continuity it is the correct wire the bad part is the second half is gone.

Attachments

• A2B3835B-9955-492B-8D8A-32103E81E1E2.jpeg
    A2B3835B-9955-492B-8D8A-32103E81E1E2.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • 888E3043-6572-4B1B-9549-9319A8171866.jpeg
    888E3043-6572-4B1B-9549-9319A8171866.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 7
  • B35EEA71-1B38-4E56-BE07-FFABD853D836.jpeg
    B35EEA71-1B38-4E56-BE07-FFABD853D836.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
well you know where the wires are now you just need to connect them.
Well that is where the problem lies I am having a hard time finding the other side of it on the interior it must be on the passenger side but I don’t see any blue/white.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just to be sure, it is a white with light blue, not blue with white. I thought I could see the wire in both of the harnesses you took pics of.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
Yes correct white with blue not vice versa and it gave continuity when tracing it back to the turn signal after some research I believe it would originally be connected to an engine harness which is obviously gone due to Holley swap on another note when it gets inside of the car I believe it is light blue after the connector if that is true then I just have to hook them up, but I still have a short somewhere.

OP
OP
C

Carl The Cobra

Reaction score
If anyone can verify it traces back into a light blue wire on the passenger footwell behind where your eco is typically at I would appreciate it so I know I am right and can wire it up.

07GtS197

Reaction score
It wouldn’t blow the fuse if the wiring harness is missing. Maybe it’s cut somewhere grounding out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online