95 GT been parked for about 3 years – What to do first?

glockriver

Reaction score
I’ve got a bone stock 1995 GT that’s been parked outside (in west central Georgia) for about 3 years. It has not been started or even had a battery for the entire time. It had about half a tank of gas in it the last time it was driven. That gas is still in the tank.
This was our daily driver until shortly after our little girl came along. I had not intended to leave the stang unattended for so long, but things happen. Now I’d like to once again use it as a daily driver.

Obviously, I need a new battery, but what else do I need to do to get it drivable again?
Has it been sitting too long to expect it to fire right up?

At this point, I mainly just want it running and drivable in stock form.

Thanks
Mike

ryclef331

Reaction score
change ALL fluids first and foremost. Throw a battery in it. DRAIN THE TANK, change fuel filter, fresh gas. Prime the oil system with a oil pump priming shaft and a drill if you can. If not, disconnect the coil and crank the car over a for a few seconds...its not the most prefered method but it will circulate the oil. After that, fire it up. Take it easy for a lil while as a few problems might pop up.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes what ryclef are great suggestions. I have heard of people taking out the spark plugs and putting a drop of oil down each one???

The thing is a car that sits the seals all start to dry up and the valve seals might go down the road (not a major or expencive job), plus basically all the oil drais off the internals.

Thats why its best to fire up a car that you have storing at least once a month till its warm.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
change ALL fluids first and foremost. Throw a battery in it. DRAIN THE TANK, change fuel filter, fresh gas. Prime the oil system with a oil pump priming shaft and a drill if you can. If not, disconnect the coil and crank the car over a for a few seconds...its not the most prefered method but it will circulate the oil. After that, fire it up. Take it easy for a lil while as a few problems might pop up.

great advice

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
+1

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
old startup trick is to use a eyedropper to get some oil onto the piston/bore via the sparkplug hole for startup, doesn't take much, especially if you warm it up in the sun first.

dnkapcorydnk

Reaction score
Also, just give it a good tune up, new air filter,cap,rotor,plugs, what not... just makes everything alot easier.... and then u have a tune up! lol

1 more thing i forgot.... throw in a new O2 sensor, they are only 40$ and after sitting they can go bad... or so the ford tech told me... plus more gas mileage!

:banana:

high_racer

Reaction score
Well my car was parked for more than 1 year (In the sun)
I changed engine oil, pulleys,belt, front and rear brake pads ,Battery ,Transmission oil.
I had problem in the radiator,differential,sensors.
I flushed the radiator, I cleaned the MAF sensor.
My car is running like a V4 engine I should call it a Turtle not a Mustang
I have to change the o2 sensors.
Well you should know that the sealings,sensors,oil,battery,spark plugs , brake pads are fucked up. :hammer:
Drive your car for more than 500 miles ,That's healthy for your car.

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Throw some seafoam in it and some NOS octane booster and it should be good to go! :dancing6:

G

GREG@SN95

seafoam is a bad idea...

did you drain the gas tank and put fresh gas in?

if not have fun rebuilding the engine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online