95 GT issues

svfetter

Reaction score
original owner of 95 GT with 55K Miles. Rattle in passenger hub / Brake area. Always stops when brakes are applied. Hub replaced. New brakepads. Pads are not making noise. Has any one had a problem with caliper causing a rattle?? All other parts pieces ruled out.

How do you stop pinging in a 95. Have been trying for years. Run Prem fuel. Timing 2 -3 deg below spec. Colder Plugs, Oil Cooler. 3.73 rear gear. (Oh !! I forgot - Automatic Trans) These cars seem t be geared all wrong. Too Low RPM. Sometimes get a check engine light when run on express over 2000 K for 15 minutes or more. But goes out. Just went on trip. When drive by foot - pings real bad going up hill. turn on speed control - climb same type hill no pinging. Open to suggestion.
Thanks.

houston5.0jay

Reaction score
Mine has the ping issues as well..
I havent been able to figure it out either..
same car as yours 95 GT AOD.. freaking hate this tranny =-/

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
You are absolutely right about the tranny. Completely kills the performance of this car. Manual drives circles around it. I believe engine and management tech was in transition when this car was produced. Old technology mixed with the new. Would really like to get a new one but the one I have is in too good of shape and I don't want a 5 or 6 hundred dollar a month payment.

Would like to order a GT and have the dealer install the shelby supercharger for around 400 HP. It might be getting too late to own a car like that any more with gas prices. Are we very far from 5 dollors a gallon???????????????/

ryclef331

Reaction score
you need to pull your codes. I'm willing to bet your check engine light is coming on b/c of an EGR issue which is causing your part throttle detonation/pinging. Let me guess....when you floor it, the pinging goes away?

As for the front brake issue, look at your dust sheild on the back. They're flimsy pieces of shit...just bend it back.

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
Thank you mr moderator,

EGR was checked by dealer and said to be working properly. Noise on fron sus is not dust shield. Shield is tight and not touching anything. Thanks for your ideas. I am open to additional ones.

ryclef331

Reaction score
If your car threw a CEL....even if went on and them back out, you can still pull the codes and find out what it is. You need to do this. Again, the part throttle detonation leads me to believe its the EGR. You didn't say whether or not it goes away when you put it to the boards.

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
Yes, ping does go away when you mash it. I pulled codes some time back and it did give an EGR Code. Took it to the dealer and asked them to check EGR Operation. They advised that EGR was working properly. Also have made sure MAF is clean. Have read where dirty one can cause this. Not a huge problem but very annoying and frustrating. I can't just afford to take to dealer and give them a blank check to trouble shoot. Have seen too many cases where they can't pin point actual problem so they come back and say that all sensors need to be replaced to the tune of about $1000.00. Happened to my father on his Lincoln.

Recently developed rattle mentioned seems to be brake caliper. Hub replaced, New strut, Pads secure in caliper. Portion of caliper which has piston does have some available movement from the rest of the assembly. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had trouble with noisey front calipers. Thanks

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
Another name for ping is spark knock. Fuel burning at wrong time during combustion. Not a good thing. Made worse by the terrible quality of our gas these days. Newer cars eliminate spark knock with electronics.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
your brakes are most likely missing the anti rattle spring or clip that installs at the top of the caliper between the 2 pads. When i got my car all four wheels were rattling like crazy. I ruled out everything and when I went to do my brakes all of those clisp were gone. Take your wheel off and then push the pad through the caliper with your finger. It shouldn't move easily. If it does than your missing that spring

91paxmustang

My 94 gt has a pinging but only at wot or close to wot. I tried almost everything, the only way i could stop it is if i would run it at about 6 deg. btdc. But then it lacked power. Mine would also only do it once the temperature gauge went up halfway or more towards hot. So i got the fan to run at high speed to keep it cooler. now im running it about at 10 deg. with premium gas and only now and then i will get some pinging. I think my pinging is from to lean of a fuel mixture though because my plugs get pretty white, not the brownish they should be.

jbeez

Reaction score
I had horrible pining, my fuel pressure was like 36psi and I turned it down about 2psi and the pinging almost completly cleared up. I run an anderson PMS now and I pull timing under certain temperature conditions and I don't remember the last time I had a ping, also I push the timing up in certain rpm ranges that usually don't give me a problem pinging, def helped out.

-J

Downshift

Reaction score
jbeez said:
I had horrible pining, my fuel pressure was like 36psi and I turned it down about 2psi and the pinging almost completly cleared up. I run an anderson PMS now and I pull timing under certain temperature conditions and I don't remember the last time I had a ping, also I push the timing up in certain rpm ranges that usually don't give me a problem pinging, def helped out.

-J

You turned it down, as in from 36 to 34? Or did you mean turn it up?

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya thats really weird. I have never heard of that one. I might have to give that one a try though I get worse gas mileage then I should but still ping. Gonna have to see what Im running fp wise.

ryclef331

Reaction score
PINGING IS NOT SOMETHING YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE JUST "LIVING WITH." IT IS THE NUMBER ONE KILLER OF ENGINES!!!!

Stock 5.0 pistons are hyperuetectic....i.e. Brittle. You guys need to figure out why your car pings and eliminate that, retard timing, run better gas, etc. Whatever it is before you blow your shit sky high....

91paxmustang

haha i felt that way at times when its not running for shit.

jbeez

Reaction score
I'm at about the 99% point for buying parts right now, I just have the smallest bit of stupid little stuff to get, like a set of head gaskets and some bolts,

I'm putting a dss 331 XR shortblock in my 95gt w/ foxlake stage II ported twisted wedge heads, portmatched lower intake(holley systemax), afm b31 cam, 85# injectors from precision turbo(a little overkill atm), pmas 95mm velocity MAF, PP 75mm TB, custom fuel system w/ twin walbro pumps, tko 600, bbk long tube headers, bassani X pipe cut up to fit a MM heavy duty torque arm, dynomax cat back, full maximum motorsports suspension w/ bilstein coilovers, tubular k-member, tubular a-arms, full length subframes, LCAs, panhard bar, HD TA, CC plates, solid steering shaft, steeda aluminum radiator, PMS engine management, full range of autometer phantom gauges, vortech v2-sqtrim w/ 2.95 pulley, AFM power pipe, I'm sure I forgot something, but I'm so frustrated with spending so much money I'm ready to drive this car off a cliff LOL

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Pinging issue you might want to check your harmonic balancer i chased the problem for 3 months from replacing everything i could possibly think of on our cars. I would suggest looking at the rubber in your harmonic balancer. I would not be suprised if your problem lies there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online