95 gt starting-electrical problem HELP!!!

ryclef331

Reaction score
if the relay is good then the last thing is the switch in the column itself... Ever consider a push button start? :rollinglaugh:

S

scarface

ryclef331 said:
if the relay is good then the last thing is the switch in the column itself... Ever consider a push button start? :rollinglaugh:
thats what I was going to suggest.... Autozone push button start! HE could get stealth and put it in the cig lighter spot in the console.

d_punch

Reaction score
bare with me since this is the first time reading your thread

so the car cranks but doesn't trun over? and it does this cause you had to bypass a wire correct? i'm alittle unclear on what you bypassed.

OP
OP
M

Mach5Racing4

Reaction score
i'd rather no push button start but putting it in the cig. lighter would be slick. to bypass the ignition switch i ran a wire from the cars battery to the spade connector on the starter solenoid attached to the starter its self. it will only crank over if i do the bypass. but even with the key forward and the clutch in it wont start up when bypassed. thanks guys

ryclef331

Reaction score
Ok...When you just turn the key to ON, can you hear the fuel pump kick over and prime? If not, I'd then have to say that the switch in the colum is royally fucked.

OP
OP
M

Mach5Racing4

Reaction score
when the key goes forward the fuel pump turns on and primes fine. i hate to do it but i think i am going to bring it to my buddy's shop

d_punch

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
d_punch said:
do you have an alarm in it?

my next guess. its going to be something stupid. watch, i'd bet on it.

they always are

since i won't be back on the site till monday or so i'll give my reason why i ask if you have an alarm.

one day i went to leave work and the car wouldn't start, no cranking , not even a click, but it had power with the key in the on position. took the battery to get tested and it passed with flying colors. so i thought to myself it had to be the starter, it has power but it doesn't crank. after spending the entire next day changing the starter with my father with just the jack that was in the trunk and a socket set, in the dead of winter the motherfucker still wouldn't crank.
next thing that poped in my head was the alarm it does kill the ignition. i was lucky enough to have went to a local school that teaches how to instal auto alarms and audio systems in cars, when i was just 17. so i under stood how it worked and was wired.
i come to find out, since i bought my cobra used, that it still had a dealer installed alarm. the second thing i found out was that a complete fucking ass hat installed it. i was digging all up into the dash to try and find the brains of the alarm, since most tell you on the back which color wire goes where. and for the life of me i couldn't find. well this asshat mounted the brain right behind the clutch pedal on the firewall. and what happen was when you would push the clutch pedal down it would hit the alarm brains right where the wire harness would connect to it. so after 5 years of that it recked the internal connection of the harness.

went to a local ford dealer they want $250 for an alarm brain. they got a NJ one finger salute.

so i just went under the dash and bypassed the ignition kill switch and tossed the brain out.

the sob started right up.

so check your alarm, the ignition kill is a simple relay. they cut your ignition wire and hook each end to different termials on a relay. when the alarm is tripped the relay switch moves and the ignition wire loses it's contact ( no juice) until the alarm is disarmed and the switch goes back.
so you can just pull your ignition wire off of that relay and reconnect them and see if it starts. if it does either that relay is bad, or something is wrong the the alarm else where.

hope this helps

Joe

OP
OP
M

Mach5Racing4

Reaction score
ok thanks i'm not sure if it has a alarm but i will check, dumb question, do you know where the alarm relay would be? thanks

d_punch

Reaction score
that would vary from installer to installer. it all depends on were they found the ignition wire. sometimes you get under the dash and it's right in your face other times it's wired tied to the column if there is room. sometimes it can be cramed into the depts of the dash.

look for this (see pic) remeber there are ones on the fuse boxes its' not them.
relay-resisted-02.jpg

your best bet might be to first find the brain, it's just a black boc with a wireing harness on it. most of the times on the back side, of course in black they will have a diagram of what color wires go where. for example it might say - orange- ign which is orange wire is to be hooked up to ignition more than likey ignition relay kill switch.
if you luck out with find a diagram just follow the wire color till you hit a relay.

your going to have to get under the dash without a doubt. if i remebered correct, i had to remove that panel under the column that goes from the left end of the dash all the way to center console. and it opened up alot of room to see and fit mysef . but first try without removing the panel. like i said it could be hanging right there. a bright light will help you out big time lol
feel free to ask any questions. i will try and log on sunday night to check back.

M

musclemustang94

I didn't see anyone mention actually volt dropping the battery cable to the starter. It would only take a teeny tiny amount of resistance to F that up royally since it a shit ton of amps. To do this just take your volt meter leads and put one on the battery POSITIVE post and one on the terminal on the starter and have a buddy try and crank it. The number that comes up on the meter is how much voltage that wire is using up, if its over half a volt its fucked change it.

OP
OP
M

Mach5Racing4

Reaction score
ok, i am going to try that when i get home later. thanks guys i'll let you know how it goes

M

musclemustang94

you can also do the same for the ground side. Only this time do the battery negative post and the starter ground wire. I can't remember if 5.0's actualy hace a ground wire for the starter now that I think about it, sometimes they just ground through the belhousing internally. You should look for one though, in this case .5 volts or less is good, if you just get 0's then you have a bad wire on the positive side. Remember to do this while cranking the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson