95 Mustang 5.0 BBK equal length shorty headers on stock motor?

riot9maker

Reaction score
I bought an off-road h-pipe and installed it today after work. Sounds pretty good with the flowmasters behind it. The guy I got it from wouldn't separate the h-pipe from the bbk shorty headers he was selling, so I bought both. My motor is basically stock with 160k and BBK CAI. So would putting these headers on really benefit me at all over the stock "headers". I saw somewhere it was like a 2 hp gain or something, but would it make it sound any better? Any thoughts appreciated. Also, if I don't put them on, they will be for sale. if intersted, make an offer.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh yea they sound really good I used to have the exact same setup on my car

TanTop94

Reaction score
Im sure it would sound a lot better but the gains wont really be that much. Equal lengths are the ones that are a ***** to get in and dont fit right?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you'll feel a differance with the BBK's over the stockers. equal shorties are a giant PITA to install. you'll be better off with unequal shorties. Long tubes are a different story though.
My BBK shorties had a excessive amount weld bead on the inside of the flange so I used diegrinder and opened each header port to about a 1/2" bigger.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Equals are fine to install I even had the bigger primary ones they no longer list on the site. It's Notta big deal to get them in

OP
OP
riot9maker

riot9maker

Reaction score
Equals are fine to install I even had the bigger primary ones they no longer list on the site. It's Notta big deal to get them in

Nice, I already deleted my EGR and smog pump so it shouldn't be too difficult. Still up for debate though.. I could use the extra cash for lowering struts/springs at the moment..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
that vid was a bit confusing at first.
white car, yellow car, white car, yellow car.

Pushrodsnake

Reaction score
I had a set of BBK equal length shorties on my car before I went with the long tubes. In my experience, equal length primaries (whether on shorties or long tubes) give a car a more organized exhaust note. You won't gain tons of power, but you will notice an improvement in sound. That's really the only reason why we install aftermarket exhaust anyway, isn't it?

Concerning installation, it wasn't too difficult. I didn't have to lift the engine; I just removed or unbolted some things and moved them around to get them into place. Concerning fitment, they fit fine on my '95 Cobra with the exception of making contact with my steering shaft. I didn't feel like removing it to clearance it; I just left it that way until I installed the long tubes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.