95 Mustang GT Convertible Automatic

BillG

Reaction score
Ok my friends and fellow mustang owners have a question for ya. The project is now road legal and took it out for first good drive and noticed the following things. After changing differential fluids and stuff the whine is still there. I take put it in neutral as it is slowing down and the whine goes away. Which tells me not rear end I hope. The other issue is i press the O/D button and it doesn't work. It did work before console swap and cluster swap. What could be issue? The other thing is I get a rumble or could be a chatter at around 35 to 40 MPH at acceleration. Could that be the need for friction Mod in Dif Fluid. I used synthetic and was told it wasn't needed. Excited to have it on the road and just want to get bugs worked out before I have it tuned. Was told the exhaust smells rich.

Dustin Conner

Reaction score
Ok my friends and fellow mustang owners have a question for ya. The project is now road legal and took it out for first good drive and noticed the following things. After changing differential fluids and stuff the whine is still there. I take put it in neutral as it is slowing down and the whine goes away. Which tells me not rear end I hope. The other issue is i press the O/D button and it doesn't work. It did work before console swap and cluster swap. What could be issue? The other thing is I get a rumble or could be a chatter at around 35 to 40 MPH at acceleration. Could that be the need for friction Mod in Dif Fluid. I used synthetic and was told it wasn't needed. Excited to have it on the road and just want to get bugs worked out before I have it tuned. Was told the exhaust smells rich.

Dustin Conner

Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't need a friction modifier even if it is a synthetic blend. But im no expert. I would definitely take a look at the wiring for your O/D switch. Could have gotten pulled loose or pinched during the install since you pulled the console. If you are running a 4R70W-AODE they have issues in the valve body after repetitive use of the O/D button. The o-rings on the plunger for that get worn and fluid starts to squeeze past causing it not to engage. If I'm not mistaken. Hopefully that isn't your problem but is an easy fix.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't need a friction modifier even if it is a synthetic blend. But im no expert. I would definitely take a look at the wiring for your O/D switch. Could have gotten pulled loose or pinched during the install since you pulled the console. If you are running a 4R70W-AODE they have issues in the valve body after repetitive use of the O/D button. The o-rings on the plunger for that get worn and fluid starts to squeeze past causing it not to engage. If I'm not mistaken. Hopefully that isn't your problem but is an easy fix.
Gonna add friction mod to see if that fixes that issue. Then pull console to see if it came loose. Thanks for info
Gotta find a good mustang mechanic in my area. My Mr. Tire place couldn't even check the timing when they had it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m having a similar whining issue that goes away when I coast or am in neutral though I have a tr3650. I’d be interested to see what it turns out to be with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Thanks for info on O/D Dustin. I looked at everything and all the wiring was good but i did look at fuse box and saw the fuse for the anti lock was missing so i popped in the fuse back in and sure enough the light comes back on when buttons pushed. I noticed this afternoon while driving when i step on the gas and took off quick the rattle in rear doesn't happen so something to look into it.

Dustin Conner

Reaction score
That's good. Funny how something so easily overlooked can fix certain issues. Hope you do not have anymore problems out of it!!

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
OK Update on the issues. Over drive button was the fuse and works fine now, the friction modifier has been added and no change in rear end. Good news is the people at Side Pipes in Newton NC (Sorry had to plug the guys they are Awesome) got differential plug loose and told me what it would cost do fix the apparent thrown together exhaust under the car (Which may be the source of the dragging issue seeing how one of the nuts on one of the clamps is almost ground off) took the car for a test drive. I later found out the owner who was working on my car is a mustang enthusiast and guru (There Words) told me the rumble i heard was the torque converter trying to lock and shuttering and causing the rumble noise in rear. He also told me the whining i was hearing was normal in rear end. So looks like new torque converter and a new rear main seal and exhaust will be my next thing done here shortly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online