95 Mustang GT idle issues

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll check the injectors tomorrow. Good news is I took all the plugs out and made sure they were at .54. While doing that I found that cylinder 8 plug had worked itself lose. Corrected that and the car is idling much smoother now.

What were the plans for this car? You keeping it stock or planning on modding at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinny D'Amato

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue as you on my stock 94 with 56.000 on it!!!! Looking forward to what this reveals

dcm0123

Reaction score
Put a bottle of Tekron Fuel injectior cleaner in the car with a full tank full of gas. This brand worked well in the past for me.

Could also be a sticking idle control valve. Had problems with them in the past.

If the EGR valve is still being used spray the stem with WD40. Sometimes the sensor on these can go then cause problems.

Check the system for codes and run the engine on self test sequence. Problems with the EGR sensor often shows up there.

Check for vacuum leaks. Spray WD40 in areas you suspect a leak. If there is a leak it will cause your idle to increase.

Last edited:

Stangely

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 95 5.0, except mine won’t stay running

dcm0123

Reaction score
I posted this yesterday to another post and it could help here as well. In particular checking for vacuum leaks.

Had problems in the past with connectors- the ignition control module and the engine coolant temperature sensor. At one time you could buy both from Ford and splice into your harness. RockAuto has both connectors.

The engine coolant temperature sensor (MOTORCRAFT DY1145) monitors the temperature for the computer to set the fuel ratio.

I would look for possible problems with connectors, possible shorts in the harness where the connectors terminate including the cable junction to the O2 sensors.

Pull the vacuum line of the fuel pressure regulator. If there is signs of gas in the hose or the hose smells like gas, replace the regulator.

Look at the ground connections which are part of the engine control system. Make sure they are good. Keep the spark plug wires away from your engine control wires.

Run the engine on self test program. One part of his test checks the engine cylinder balance which may indicate a bad fuel injector.

Spray WD40 at suspected areas and see if the engine speed increases which indicates a leak. I would spray at the gaskets on the intake manifold as well as around the fuel injector o-rings. Install a vacuum test gauge to verify the vacuum is proper. Low vacuum may indicate a leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online