95 Mustang GTS hesitation after explorer gt40 intake swap

95Fobra

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 1995 Mustang GTS that I have did the explorer gt40 intake swap. While doing this swap I also change the throttle setup to a fox body style using a BBK 70mm throttle body and spacer, I also changed the egr system to be like a fox body style. The car has a MSD 6a box installed as well. The swap went fairly smooth with the exception of having two fuel injectors break on me while removing the fuel rail from the lower. I replaced them with two I had laying around from an old fox intake I had. Now the problem is the car has a hesitation when I first take off, mostly when the cars cold but sometimes when it’s warm as well. I can hear a pop through the intake Some times as well. I’ve checked for vacuum leaks using two cans of carb clean, I’ve sprayed absolutely everything the idle doesn’t change a bit. I’ve checked fuel pressure with the line on the reg and off, it’s within spec both ways. Now I had the timing set at 10 degrees initially after the swap was completed and it had a worse hesitation than it does now, so I bumped it to around 12 degrees and it still has the hesitation just not as bad. I’m at a complete loss as to what to do now, the car ran fine before the swap no hesitation at all, could the timing chain in the car have some slack in it causing problems and making my timing off from what the balancer reads because I have no pinging that I know of with it being set at 12 and running 87 octane gas. The car is also a 5 speed with 160~ miles if that matters at all.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated as I’ve been dealing with this for 4 months now thanks.

Her name is Jaz

Reaction score
Man, I feel for ya, I'm working through idle issues and stuff on my Cobra. So far I can say that SN95 5.0's just generally idle line garbage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

95Fobra

Reaction score
Luckily I haven’t had any idle issues so far with this car, I’ve heard lots of stories with the sn95s having issues like that.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They only have idle issues when people change more than the ecm can handle and Don’t get a chip and a tune.

Did you check timing with the spout in or out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks. I have had them where carb cleaner did not detect it, but smoke came out - IE vac leak.

Smoke a cigar, exhale smoke into a vacuum hose. Usually the brake booster works the best. Look for smoke.

Cheap, easy, effective.

OP
OP

95Fobra

Reaction score
Alright I might give that a shot I have a buddy that smokes like a train so I’m sure he can help me, I’m gonna trying throwing in another whole set of injectors I have this weekend and see if anything changes I’m also gonna try bumping the timing a bit more and try that.

OP
OP

95Fobra

Reaction score
Quick update on the car, I changed the passenger bank of injectors and the problem had either went away or is so little I don’t notice it any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online