95 plenum set up 1st timedoing

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Just ordered the lower intake 54122 for 161.00 so I'm good there and my BBK 70 mm TB just showed up with a few other items so now I'm trying to get the Egr supply tube nut off witch is rusted heated cooled salted did I say rusted on,going to try some heat in a bit. I have Egr code so I need to replace it,thought about blocking it off but it's not that big of a deal to leave it on being I have a new Egr and sensor for it already and I might as well throw the new strut brace on to oh never mind I'll wait till the lower gets here.
Cant wait to drive it with new TB on.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Installed the BBK 70mm TB and now I'm letting it all sit with battery fully unhooked and I also touched - + together to clear the system and will go start it up in a hour or so.
The Egr is going to beat me to the ground so I'll wait till my lower gets here.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Went out and hooked battery back up and started her up,definitely pulling more air as you can hear it,Rpms up a tad bit and it sounds nice,it starts right up and now I need to get it out on the highway and let it run for a bit at highway speeds.
I think it needs some GT40 heads to go with the upper and lower I have now(lower on way).

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Well the BBK 70mm TB along with the cheap tuner has made a difference to the good side of things now I'm waiting for the lower intake to show up so I can put that on along with the BBK tuned headers I just ordered. I tried to get the AIR tube off the Egr and heat won't even help and I've sprayed the heck out of it with knock r loose and a jb product with no movement so I will just cut the tube and just pull the intake and headers being I have a new tube and Egr valve sitting here in their boxes and I guess I should find some vale covers to put on too,I also ordered remand 19lb injectors for it with a new stock chrome rail.
this should get me by till I figure out what to do. I think I'll be just building a long block this winter and then all I need to do is change over the parts I want and buy new with the others.......

What spark plugs do you all like the best in your 5.0s?

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Well I went stock 25s for now and if I need to be cooler I'll step down to 24s but I now have a set of alum heads on the way here with some rollers and push rods that I'll put on as long as I'm into it that far what's a few more bolts and I'm going with a 70-74mm MAF at 19psi to let in more air don't think the stock 58 is doing much to help me out,I'm looking at a e303 also because you never know but I would like to save it for the rebuild this winter.
i finally got my son to take a Harley out of my upper garage along with 2 go carts so now I have room for the GTS to be parked in the garage while I wait for the rest of the parts to get here,think I'll take some pics of the engine for reference for when I go back to reassemble it....I going to look around and see if I can find anyone to do the rear end,want to put 3.73s in it for a little more push.
Anyway can't wait to start tearing it down and I did get the air tube off after a lot of not so nice words.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Have it half back together and just did a pressure test on fuel and no leaks,tomorrow I put air intake items back on and give it a crank,wasn't happy the way the fuel rail mounted to the lower intake,has a slight tilt to the front so I think the 4 bolt holes were drilled a bit off at factory Other then that things are going good for my 1st FI project,learning experience for sure.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Well it's all done for now and can't wait to take it out on the road tomorrow hope it starts and I got all the vacuum lines back in the right spots And it stays leak free anyway I think I will invest in a bama chip with the 3 different settings,for 269 bucks it can't be all bad plus the reviews are good for what it does, going to have a friend put the headers on and replace the o2 sensors this weekend,my health keeps me from going under the car and I'm already paying the price for leaning over the engine bay the last few days.
gotta say what I did sure dressed up the engine compartment and my heads showed up today(figures)after I get it all back together but I'll put them on the block I build this winter after all this one has 188K on it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
save your money on the bama chip. If you insist on getting a tune there are better places and ways to do so but honestly until you got a few more bolt on I would say the money for the tune could go better in other areas. I got a tune from them after my HCI swap hoping it would clean up the drivability of it. All the bolt ons were in the drop-down menus and should have worked but when I put it in it ran so rich your eyes wanted to bleed. I took it to a dyno after that and the tuner said he wasn't sure what the tune was they put on it as it was WAY off. The free tune idea for life doesn't work that well for us since you would need to take the chip out and send it back to them to reflash...

95opal

Reaction score
Save the money and forget the bama tune its junk.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I will stay away from the Bama chip and use that money elsewhere like my short block build this winter,try to keep it around 350-400hp build.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Needs a lot more TLC but this is it,have plug wires,headers,O2 sensors and plugs left to do.
imagejpeg
Won't let me post pics.?

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Started right up and runs nice but still need to do plugs,wires and O2 sensors and I'm done and now to start looking for a short block to build during the winter months,have a leed on a 95 5.0 and a aode for 500.00 complete but would like to find one closer to home. Going to go for 350-400hp on this build.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Well I went stock 25s for now and if I need to be cooler I'll step down to 24s but I now have a set of alum heads on the way here with some rollers and push rods that I'll put on as long as I'm into it that far what's a few more bolts and I'm going with a 70-74mm MAF at 19psi to let in more air don't think the stock 58 is doing much to help me out,I'm looking at a e303 also because you never know but I would like to save it for the rebuild this winter.
i finally got my son to take a Harley out of my upper garage along with 2 go carts so now I have room for the GTS to be parked in the garage while I wait for the rest of the parts to get here,think I'll take some pics of the engine for reference for when I go back to reassemble it....I going to look around and see if I can find anyone to do the rear end,want to put 3.73s in it for a little more push.
Anyway can't wait to start tearing it down and I did get the air tube off after a lot of not so nice words.
If you haven't already purchased a larger maf I'd hold off and use the stock one. MAF's are really a supporting mod and not "power making" mod. The agin from a larger one at this point will be nil or close to nil. The stock maf will support over 300 rwhp and it can be used with any injector size after a tune. PS: the 94/95 GT's and Cobras came with 70 mm mafs.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
No way was that a 70mm MAF I took off more like a 54,the BBK 74 I put on was way bigger but thanks for the heads up. I don't think the PO had any idea what he was doing and I say that just by seeing things when I took off the upper and lower intake.
someday I'll figure how to paste pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online