95 plenum set up 1st timedoing

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Ok so I drove the GT up on ramps to check exhaust and change o2 sensors and to my surprise it has no cats just a streight back with a X weld about four feet back ok so now I know I do not need my Egr hooked up so I used a plate and blocked off the intake and I put on the eliminator plug on the wire connector and now it actually runs better now,my low idle start up surge is mostly gone now that its all off,when I go to put on my tuned headers I'll remove pump and pluming and put on a shorter belt. I also took off the cheap programmer I got for 60 bucks but I might just plug it in again and see if it changes anything now that it's running good.
My timing cover,chain,water pump,cam,lifters and heads are all here now so I get to tear it down again witch is not a big deal now since I've already did it once.
i also just ordered 4.10 gears and traclock kit and a install kit but that will sit untill I figure out what to do about my Trany and 2nd gear,thinking of buying a stage 2 rebuilt good to 400-450hp,this I must think over.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Ok so I drove the GT up on ramps to check exhaust and change o2 sensors and to my surprise it has no cats just a streight back with a X weld about four feet back ok so now I know I do not need my Egr hooked up so I used a plate and blocked off the intake and I put on the eliminator plug on the wire connector and now it actually runs better now,my low idle start up surge is mostly gone now that its all off,when I go to put on my tuned headers I'll remove pump and pluming and put on a shorter belt. I also took off the cheap programmer I got for 60 bucks but I might just plug it in again and see if it changes anything now that it's running good.
My timing cover,chain,water pump,cam,lifters and heads are all here now so I get to tear it down again witch is not a big deal now since I've already did it once.
i also just ordered 4.10 gears and traclock kit and a install kit but that will sit untill I figure out what to do about my Trany and 2nd gear,thinking of buying a stage 2 rebuilt good to 400-450hp,this I must think over.
I wonder if new O2's made it run better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score

FYI, EGR and SMOG are completely separate systems. They literally have zero to do with each other. I ditched both smog and EGR, I'm just saying you can have one without the other....

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
FYI, EGR and SMOG are completely separate systems. They literally have zero to do with each other. I ditched both smog and EGR, I'm just saying you can have one without the other....

Correct... My opinion on the egr is: if it's working leave it alone. No one goes any faster w/ out an egr nor do they go any measurable amount faster w out smog. Well maybe a thousandth faster in the 1/4 w out smog.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter to me if the Egr/smog pump,cats,o2 sensors are on this car or not for one its not my daily driver and 2 it's more of a what can I do to this car to get some speed/hp and have fun without going overboard,one thing nice is we do not have smog testing here to get tags(yet) so that's why I'm fine with or without emission stuff I just can't trade it in at a dealer without emission on it. Would like to post pics but can't figure it out on this forum,copy and paste doesn't work for me and I don't really have a file name or whatever it says but anyway this is a fun project and I enjoy all the feed back you folks give so keep it up the kitchen is open hahaha and I'm in a learning curve so it's a day by day adventure with this Mustang......Thanks I like this forum.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Should add that no service engine lights are on either but I'll go see if there are any codes tonight with the tester.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Should add that no service engine lights are on either but I'll go see if there are any codes tonight with the tester.
If you're on a smartphone I found out that you have to add the tapatalk app to add pics and such on this forum. You won't get any "cat" codes due to the fact that it's OBDI and the O2's are before the cats, you defiantly won't get a cel for the same reason. I hear ya on "free horsepower" but removing smog stuff won't give you enough to outrun anyone that you previously couldn't and it's not really with the effort of removing and having to modify (blocking off the egr, re-routing the belt etc). Let's say for example you're making 210 rwhp and after the smog stuff is gone you'd make 212-215 at best. Not enough to even give a "seat of the pants gain".

lutter94

Reaction score
I didn't remove mine to gain horsepower, only because i got an off road midpipe, and wanted to clean up the engine bay. Its not that much work. I removed the EGR after I got a few codes about it having issues. I have a chip that doesn't throw a CEL without the EGR.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
True true about hp but I guess it cleans up the engine bay some makes changing plugs a bit nicer on the passenger side but what's funny is the thing that bugs me the most is the clock doesn't work don't know why but it just bugs me........
Down the road I might even remove the AC after all I did fine in my 66 pony without air hahaha but it is nice on those days.

My next move is to tear it down and put the GT40 heads on with cam and headers and see what I get I know it won't be much but it will hopefully get me 35-40 more hp when all said and done,it's only time and money( have time but not so much free cash)and elbow grease.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I put on a BBK 8007 76mm 19lb inj CAI....think I typed 74 but it's 76mm my TB is a 1523 70mm.
Just an FYI the throat to the 94/95 cobra intakes is only 70mm wide so unless you port it your not going to get any more power out of any TB bigger then 70mm.

IMG_20150307_181912621.jpg

to give an example this is the gasket I got with my 75mm and what I used to port the throat to allow for it to get the full benefit of the enlarged tb. But then if you do this it would also be a good idea to port the lower/upper openings to again allow for more air.
IMG_20150307_235211757.jpg

and then after it was all done it looked like this
IMG_20150309_014823332.jpg

You can see by the gasket the room you have to work with and the lower intake is the same way.
IMG_20150307_234854405.jpg

all you really need to do this is an engine porting kit. I use my pneumatic die grinder but if you didn't have one you could always use your drill. This might limit where you can reach and it will take a little longer since its slower but it would work and isn't all that hard to do.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/eastwood...ign=shopping&gclid=CJauz5SskcgCFcOQHwodmNcH-w

This is the kit I got and I still have plenty of barrels for the next time. But after saying all that I have to warn you that you can go too big and end up loosing torque. I am using a 75m but it is being fed by a vortech blower and meth and 42 lb injectors. Its something that would be upgraded sooner or later if you know that there are upgrades in the future that would need this extra air but until you have the mods to support all the air put in you might hurt your performance. It doesn't sound like your in a huge hurry myself so if that is the case I would take the time to get it as good as it can be prior to installing it by porting and polishing it.
IMG_20150428_190045341.jpg

and just tell me ya don't want to polish it?! Only took me 2 years :)

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Just an FYI the throat to the 94/95 cobra intakes is only 70mm wide so unless you port it your not going to get any more power out of any TB bigger then 70mm.

IMG_20150307_181912621.jpg

to give an example this is the gasket I got with my 75mm and what I used to port the throat to allow for it to get the full benefit of the enlarged tb. But then if you do this it would also be a good idea to port the lower/upper openings to again allow for more air.
IMG_20150307_235211757.jpg

and then after it was all done it looked like this
IMG_20150309_014823332.jpg

You can see by the gasket the room you have to work with and the lower intake is the same way.
IMG_20150307_234854405.jpg

all you really need to do this is an engine porting kit. I use my pneumatic die grinder but if you didn't have one you could always use your drill. This might limit where you can reach and it will take a little longer since its slower but it would work and isn't all that hard to do.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/eastwood...ign=shopping&gclid=CJauz5SskcgCFcOQHwodmNcH-w

This is the kit I got and I still have plenty of barrels for the next time. But after saying all that I have to warn you that you can go too big and end up loosing torque. I am using a 75m but it is being fed by a vortech blower and meth and 42 lb injectors. Its something that would be upgraded sooner or later if you know that there are upgrades in the future that would need this extra air but until you have the mods to support all the air put in you might hurt your performance. It doesn't sound like your in a huge hurry myself so if that is the case I would take the time to get it as good as it can be prior to installing it by porting and polishing it.
IMG_20150428_190045341.jpg

and just tell me ya don't want to polish it?! Only took me 2 years :)
Yeah the 94/95 GT's and Cobras had the same MAF's and I'm pretty sure they had the same size TB. I wouldn't buy a larger of either unless the heads were like 190cc or bigger, it's not gonna make a difference otherwise. If he has gt40 heads I wouldn't port the intake, upper or lower, it wouldn't be cost affective. Say he had a set of AFR 165's or tfs 170 then having the lower gt40/cobra intake might be worth while. But if a guy had a gt and was adding the fore mentioned heads, it be better money spent to buy an aftermarket intake vs buying an explorer and having it ported. Porting the lower is around $300 and it seems like the going rate for explorer intakes are around $300. You could get a better and new aftermarket intake for $50 more.
All of that being said, for the 94/95 GT guy who can't quite afford a new set of heads and all that goes with it, having you're lower intake ported is better $ spent vs buying a used explorer or an aftermarket (tfs etc). The aftermarket is overkill and won't work al that well. It'll "work" but it wouldn't be that much advantageous vs the explorer bc the heads are still the limiting factor and you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the aftermarket higher rpm operating range. A ported ho lower w stock upper will flow about the same as the cobra/ explorer but the beauty is you don't have to pay another $60 or so for the elbow adapter.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I sent my lower out to be done by tmoss just because I was trying to the intake ready for ceramic coating and wanted to have it done quickly to get it out to nitroplate. I actually ended up opening the head/lower hole a bit as I am not sure he knew I was using trickflow heads. There was just more material there then I wanted to have and I also smoothed out some spots that were rougher then I liked but I can't say that after paying what I did I wasn't a little disappointed that I needed touch it up. But now the upper I did myself with that porting kit in the link and I was every bit as happy with outcome as with the lower. Yes it isn't cost effective to have them done(and then need to touch it up) for the price of the kit and an hour or two of your time I think its worth it if your planning on going deeper into the motor then just he intake.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Heads are 64cc and 190...so I should be good to around 350-400whp or I could throw a 2.1L Blower on it for about 3 grand and see how long the heads last hahaha really not kidding I'm starting to think out the box and have been reading up on a 2.1L Blower thinking it would be the cats meow in the 95 and a lot less issues setting up.
Just ordered a set of Russell break lines for it being I have new(Red)calipers and(Black)rotors coming to help me stop better if the need arises.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
I also have a dremel and a small air dremel/router if I want to do some portin and polishing but don't think I'm going that far and I have to say I'm happy with the way it runs now after I found a vac leak on a 11/32 line back of intake it's kinda a bum that I'll be tearing it down again right after I have it running nice,I just painted the new timing cover and water pump today so those will have some good drying time and also my gauge pod showed up today so tomorrow I'll be putting oil pressure and water temp gauge in it and install it on the pillar and run wires......This stuff never ends thought the Harley's and Rifles were bad yikes.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Holy crap... this thread makes my head hurt.

OP, not only are you going about your build in a completely ridiculous and aimless manner... But most of the advice you are getting in this thread just boggles my mind.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

OP, not only are you going about your build in a completely ridiculous and aimless manner... But most of the advice you are getting in this thread just boggles my mind.

please correct or tell me if I am giving bad info. I don't want to do that and would rather know the correct answer.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

He's alive!!!!!!!

I was wondering when you'd chime in!!!!

How's it goin dude?!?! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
No no no all I'm doing is putting Alum GT40 heads on with a e303 cam and I put a new 19lb 76mm MAF on with a new TB,rebuilt 19lb injectors and a upper and lower intake and I've replaced all shocks,sensors,eliminated the EGR(just because I can)new alt,timing cover ,water pump,timing chain and gears,lifter and push rods,rockers,rocker studs,fuel rail,a couple gauges in a pillar pod(temp,oil pres)new stock tires being its a plain no power windows no thrill GT/GTS. I'm keeping the outside just like it came except for a little hood scoop and rear side window louvers..........

Nothing differant then most do I'm just not touching the lower end planning a build for this winter that will get into that with,right now I'm reading up on 2.1 blower set up for around 3k just to cover a couple options out there.

So you see it's not as bad as it appears,just my 1st FI build up so I'm learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online