95 plenum set up 1st timedoing

Addermk2

Reaction score
That's what I'm referring to. You're just throwing parts together, and you're going to end up with a lack - luster turd when you're done.

GT40X heads are terrible for boost. The E303 isn't a great cam. Your brand new intake isn't compatible with a kenne bell supercharger. Your 19# injectors will need to be changed when you go boosted, and you'll likely need to swap out that maf as well.

I'm sure you can see my point now, and there is no need for me to keep pointing out the flaws in your plan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Adder I'm building a whole differant motor this winter the motor I have now is at 188k I'm just putting on some things just because I can it will be a whole differant motor that I build block,heads,cam,gears,headers,intake ect I guess it could be confusing because it sounds like I'm doing it to this motor IM NOT so like I'm saying I've never messed with FI so I'm just learning and the motor I have now is just a let's try this type of thing.

Trust me when I build my street legal 5.0 there will be no cheap it will be done right..........I'm just using this high mile motor as a learning tool so when I really build I'll understand the concept of FI better......So sit back give me feed back and don't worry my new motor will be done in the right manner plus I can sell most of the stuff I've put on this motor to anyone who wants it....

Addermk2

Reaction score
nope, im out. have fun with your soon too be turd.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Will do adder I'll have fun playing with the TURD as you call it I guess building a motor from ground up isn't your cup of tea so no feelings hurt here I'll keep playing with the turd as I build my motor this winter and then see what the turd does at the speedway next summer with a proper built motor.
Guess if you don't have any knowlage that would be useful to me in a ground up build there are lots of folks here that do. Back to polishing my Turd now you go have fun cutting others down for trying to learn while I go put my 64/190 with 202/160 valves on my turd with the 303 cam but I'm sure I'm just turdin it down in your book.
Kitchin is open hahaha.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
One option I'm looking at is a Kenne Bell system but still have lots of reading to do on it and some comparisons with others but the price seems right and I just want to get it close to 400-450hp and still get away with the stock hood being I want it to look stock on the outside but still be a fun small tire car. Once I get that figured out then I'll see what heads,cam,pistons and crank to go with or maybe there is a long block that will work for under 5k that will save me some time and keep the total under 10k with automatic tranny.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Looks like my 4.10 gear set will be here Monday with a track lock rebuild kit and assembly kit,know a guy that will rebuild it for 200 labor been in the biz for 38 years so I know hill get it right for me and hold up to what I'll put in next year.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Adder you need to get the motor I have now out of your mind it's just a motor that I'm learning on and dressing up what my needs are is when I start my real motor build,if you have any thoughts let me know but calling someone's car a turd is kinda funny when you don't know what's really going on. I'm more interested in what will be in it this spring not what's in it now at least it will be a little funner to drive this fall.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
understand that you need to take the majority of what he says with a cube of salt He is just short/blunt and to the point because you are going a few different directions at one time and to reel you in would probably take a little more patients then he is known to have. I think people do not understand that he has been through this many many times on here just like I have done in the electronics section and it just makes us less able to type in a way that doesn't in some way offend.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Adder knows his shit better than most. His tunes are well known, his build is quite a beast!!!

So if he is passing knowledge it's usually very much to be taken seriously, but at the same time his approach is an acquired taste.

I've gotten to know how he is over the last few years and I don't even see it as attitude as much any more cause I know there is more to it than that.

But yes, to the unknowing his short appearances can come across harsh.
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION], aka Scott, also has had his time in the past when he came across the exact same way and has leveled out over the years.

You just gotta learn when to listen with an open mind and take what needs to be taken while also being able to just roll on past the the other parts.

These guys are a great help if you know how to let them help you.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Ok guys I got ya and understand it can be frustrating for someone like Adder to deal with new guys like me...

Adder I Appoligize for confusing you on what my intentions are I will clear it all up.

I just had Dave T at my home from MPLS MN he is a certified tuner from the city's and was up here visiting a friend of mine.....Hear is what he told me to do with what I'm doing..

He said I should put the heads and cam in like I planned and what I've done is ok so far( not the route he would of went but doable )then get a H pipe with o2 bungs then buy wide ban O2 sensors and hook them up and leave the Egr off like I did then he said to spend some money and buy a good tuner one that he can make changes on using a phone or laptop and then he wants me to put every thing on and call him and he will come up here and tune the vehical for me for free.
He said when I start my other build to talk with him and he will let me know what I need as to not be throwing/spending money on parts that will not Beniffet me.
So it looks like I'm back on track to finish what I've started and will let you know how it ends.......I was really givin a lot of good info this morning and it was nice to talk face to face with dave and show him my TURD and started it he likes the way it sounds and just by looking he said my lower end is good and should still handle some good horsepower,he also told me what to do with the tranny and converter.
talking face to face is way better then trying to explaine things on the Internet...........OK now what Tunner to get he is leaving that up to me but he also said don't be too cheap on it get something good.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are more then a few on here that have probably been online too much(guilty) and it just makes for short to the point answers and yes maybe an occasional spat from misunderstanding. Most of the people on here that will give you the best advice are not going to include a hug with the advice. If anything consider it like asking your big brother. He will eventually give you the info you need but probably not until he calls you moron at least one time and then just be happy I wasn't a wedgie or something bigger then just a name.

there is not a lot of choices with our cars and tuners. If he is a certified tuner, doesn't he have the gear you need? Otherwise the megasquirt is what I have been considering but there is a lot to learn on it. He just told you to get any tuner you want? From my experience most tuners tend to stick to one brand of gear once hey get use to it. When I took it to the dyno they used SCT and SCT only. Bring a megasquirt or Anderson in there and you would be on your own.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
Yep Daves a nice guy and he is about 4 hours away from me so that's the issue there he also Tuned Harley's and Dyno tuned in the city till he retired out.......Anyway he gave me advice and then it was more me that said I would get a tuner witch I'm finding out is a pain,I understand now about wideband o2 witch makes sense,open up the window a bit more but now I'm confused more but it a learning curve,I have been looking at LC1 wideband but still don't understand why one o2 not two.
Dave has dealt with guys like me that are trying but seem to not fully understand and he is a little ruff to talk to but I'm the one who said I would look into this but now I should just call him and ask but that's not me so off I go...

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
So when a person tunes with wide band do you wire in to your ecu and then basically do one bank then the other or do you only need one bank done and do I need a gauge or is that more for looks and seeing if your lean or rich....It seems like most is for obd2 not 1. Maybe the Innovations LC2 is the way to go but I'm open to any suggestions.
Why can't I just throw a Holly 650 on it and be done like back in the 70s. Ok off to read more.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So when a person tunes with wide band do you wire in to your ecu and then basically do one bank then the other or do you only need one bank done and do I need a gauge or is that more for looks and seeing if your lean or rich....It seems like most is for obd2 not 1. Maybe the Innovations LC2 is the way to go but I'm open to any suggestions.
Why can't I just throw a Holly 650 on it and be done like back in the 70s. Ok off to read more.

Your not going to find that most tuners are for obd2, you will find that ALL of the tuners are made for it. If you do not take it to a dyno you will need to be to do some serious wiring to get the new computer Like a megasquirt/Anderson pms or I think I have heard the moats is about the easiest but also the oldest and soonest to be replaced. with all the wiring you would need to do to work correctly the wideband will be the least of your worries. As for how its tuned that is adders area and I am not even going to try and act like I know much about it as I am still learning as am facing the same decision of going with a stand alone system or trying the new dyno that just opened up a couple of months ago.

OP
OP
ranger56528

ranger56528

Reaction score
No dyno's around where I live for cars that's why I want to find a tune that I can install and adjust on the road,both my Harley's have been dynoed with tuners stag 2 at a shop so it was easy and now this is a lot more complicated then I thought it would be. I'll start tear down tomorrow and go from there and least get that done and back together,wonder how hard the cam will be to pull,hope there is room once the radiator is out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now remember that the wiring is only half the battle. If you get that perfect then you just have to learn the software and know what to do when if your going at it alone. You can also just get a set of gauges that will allow you to data log the results while you are driving and then you can email an internet tuner the data, they write the tune, burn it to the chip and a good tuner can get it pretty close. I am not going to say as well as on the dyno but on the other hand it should have more experience then all of use together...

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
That's what I'm referring to. You're just throwing parts together, and you're going to end up with a lack - luster turd when you're done.

GT40X heads are terrible for boost. The E303 isn't a great cam. Your brand new intake isn't compatible with a kenne bell supercharger. Your 19# injectors will need to be changed when you go boosted, and you'll likely need to swap out that maf as well.

I'm sure you can see my point now, and there is no need for me to keep pointing out the flaws in your plan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Which was the bad advice? I think he's just doing the stereo typical gt40 head/intake, e303 build. Yes, lack-luster by today's standards (250 rwhp maybe??) but his combo isn't miss-matched, that combo has been used for 20 years, It isn't miss-matched, it's just "small". Yeah he should probably go w 24# injectors, keep the stock maf, and get a tune so the 24's will work. Do you know a guy ;) ...?
If the porting the intake was the "bad advice", I concur. It's not worth it really to port the cobra/explorer intake if he's using the gt40 heads.
PS: If he were to add a Vortech 6-8lb kit (which I believe is cheaper than the KB if memory serves) to his "turd" he wouldn't have to buy a new intake manifold, and he'd be close to 400 rwhp making him a lot less "turdish". I gained 107 hp at the wheels with the the fore mentioned kit using a comp cam that's similar to the e303 with e7 heads. Being a street car that's shifted below 6k rpms the cam didn't really hold me back any, I don't have the topend to rev much higher and nor does he. But he'll still be plenty fast from stoplight to stoplight and during the occasional wot highway pull.
OP. A tune might not be required but when I did a cam swap on my 95 I had idle issues so I had to get one.
That's all I have to say about that.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
There are more then a few on here that have probably been online too much(guilty) and it just makes for short to the point answers and yes maybe an occasional spat from misunderstanding. Most of the people on here that will give you the best advice are not going to include a hug with the advice. If anything consider it like asking your big brother. He will eventually give you the info you need but probably not until he calls you moron at least one time and then just be happy I wasn't a wedgie or something bigger then just a name.

there is not a lot of choices with our cars and tuners. If he is a certified tuner, doesn't he have the gear you need? Otherwise the megasquirt is what I have been considering but there is a lot to learn on it. He just told you to get any tuner you want? From my experience most tuners tend to stick to one brand of gear once hey get use to it. When I took it to the dyno they used SCT and SCT only. Bring a megasquirt or Anderson in there and you would be on your own.

Sorry for the thread jacking in advance. I've only had dyno tunes so the whole self tuning is something I've never dabbled in. What made you go the self-tuning route? Was you're car running and driving before you started tuning? What if a guy does does an h/c/i job and it won't even idle? Will he have to sit and concur the learning curve for a week or however long it takes just so he can get it idling? As far as "remote" tuners go I'm guessing those are generally experienced "self-tuners" who decided to make business out of it? What's a ballpark figure for a remote tune? I was kinda looking into it the other day but I was having trouble finding someone that would do OBDI. The one guy I found tried to sell me larger fuel injectors before he'd even give me the rundown on the tuning process and price.
I've been dyno tuned using an sct chip, would it be worth the money to invest in a remote tune? I'm not really looking for anymore hp, just maybe a tune that would give me better street manners and not lose much wot performance.
Thanks and my apologies once again for the "jacking" OP.

That's all I have to say about that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online