95 stang idles ruff and sometimes times dies when warm

yellowgt98

Reaction score
I've had this some issue with my 1997. Replaced the Idle control valve, used CRC cleaner and sprayed the MAF sensor insides making sure I cleaned the little electrical sensors inside and opened the throttle plates and cleaned the throttle body air plates (cobras have 2) I believe GTs have one big plate. The inside of the throttle body was really dirty. After cleaning everything, Everything cleared up and it runs great, idles fine and doesn't die. You supposedly have to make sure you use spray cleaner made to be used on MAF sensors and throttle bodies. CRC sells one spray that is made just for these systems. The car will have to be turned over several times before it will start right after you clean it, but that will clear up once you clear the system out and drive it. If you decide to got this route, it's at your own risk, it worked for me.

OP
OP
badsheep5.0

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
I've had this some issue with my 1997. Replaced the Idle control valve, used CRC cleaner and sprayed the MAF sensor insides making sure I cleaned the little electrical sensors inside and opened the throttle plates and cleaned the throttle body air plates (cobras have 2) I believe GTs have one big plate. The inside of the throttle body was really dirty. After cleaning everything, Everything cleared up and it runs great, idles fine and doesn't die. You supposedly have to make sure you use spray cleaner made to be used on MAF sensors and throttle bodies. CRC sells one spray that is made just for these systems. The car will have to be turned over several times before it will start right after you clean it, but that will clear up once you clear the system out and drive it. If you decide to got this route, it's at your own risk, it worked for me.
Thanks man I did all the same last night and It feels like that It may be fixed but I have not gotten to drive it a whole whole lot so time will tell.

yellowgt98

Reaction score
It might have been the idle control, but when I replaced mine, it ran a little better, but still died sometimes. Not until I cleaned/sprayed the MAF and Throttle body did it actually run correctly and not die. I've done this cleaning/maintenance on several of my cars and each time, it seemed to help the way the car rans. I'm a believer in keeping the MAF and TB cleaned.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
It might have been the idle control, but when I replaced mine, it ran a little better, but still died sometimes. Not until I cleaned/sprayed the MAF and Throttle body did it actually run correctly and not die. I've done this cleaning/maintenance on several of my cars and each time, it seemed to help the way the car rans. I'm a believer in keeping the MAF and TB cleaned.

I keep an eye on mine too.
The PO installed a K/N filter in the stock airbox. A couple months after having the car the CEL starting throwing lean codes intermitantly. I chased it down to a dirty MAF. And that was from the K/N filter. That POS went in the trash and I havent had another lean code since. But I do still ck it periodically anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online