96-98 cobra cam swap mach 1

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not personally, but I hope to do it when my engine comes out.

what kind of research did you put in before purchase?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice.

what kinda info can you pass along? Is the lift different? or just duration? or both?

why did they change the cams out if the B head cams are better performers? All i know is that a guy on here told me to do the B-head cam swap while my motor is out. lol.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
nice.

what kinda info can you pass along? Is the lift different? or just duration? or both?

why did they change the cams out if the B head cams are better performers? All i know is that a guy on here told me to do the B-head cam swap while my motor is out. lol.

Ford redesigned the cams for the 99/01 cobra because of the new motor. kinda like the NPI to PI changes. BUT the mach 1 uses truck cams to get alot of torque (thus why it is rated at 305 unlike the 01 cobra). the factory mach cams are 184degrees at .050/.397, the 96/97/98 are 204degrees at .050/397. basically its like adding a tiny comp cam. Usually the gains seen by dropping them in Dot to dot (not degreeing) nets about 15-20 HP, advancing them 4 degrees (via cloyes secondary timing gears, so easy I figured them out) shifts the power curve so instead of getting all the torque in the mid/upper rpm range(what they were dsigned for) it shifts it to the lower/mid range, and continues to make power into the upper 6k range. people who advance them 4 degrees are seeing gains of up to 30hp. This is were a short runner comes in hand, as people are making power to the redline with this combo netting numbers from the 350-380 HP range. consider me sold.

especially since I got the cams and cam gears for under 250$. assuming I only make 20HP, thats $12.50 per HP on top of the added benefit of getting that torque down low where the 4v needs it.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, brotha! i've never seen teh adjustable cam gears on 4vs. I'm excited to see your build! :-D

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score

All In all it was a very easy swap. so easy I couldn't believe it. once you figure out how to get the booster and master cylinder out (6 bolts, one clip and a book of cuss words later) the drivers side cover slips right out.

I actually had to do it twice, one last night and one today, because I was a tooth off. Woops. luckily to valve damage in my case.

My only complaint is I didn;t get to use my adjustable gears. one of them cracked upon torquing the cam bolt. how? who knows. bad heat treating/forging..dunno. after I got it back together and test drove it I immediately felt the power increase. I was honestly amazed. it feels like going from a stock NPI to a geared and PI 2v.. it's kinda shocking. TOTALLY worth the 8 hours to swap them out (if your slow) If your really interested in doing the swap I'll give you my number and walk you through it, Very easy. I was honestly a little intimidated by the timing but after reading through the ford manual a couple times I couldn't believe how idiot proof these motors are!

hottwheels04

Reaction score
nice sounds like a good bang for the $ , now if you had to pay for the labor and new cams I hear its not worth it, alot of guys buy aftermarket cams and they cost $1,500+ for them (esp being there are 4 cams) and then labor is usually $1,000+ so spending like $2-$4K+ to net 20-40hp isnt usually worth it..

alex302

Reaction score
so did you swap all 4 cams or just intake or exhaust?

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
You only swap intake cams. all the 4v exhaust cams are the same. doesn't matter what 4v it is, they are all the same. the 96-98 just happen to have the largest intake, and machs......the smallest....

alex302

Reaction score
im going to have to look into this and do some research.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
What is there to research? Its an easy 20 HP if you drop them in dot to dot. 25-30 with no loss of torque if you advance them 4 degrees with cloyes secondary timing gears. If you have any questions i'll give you my numbers. completely worth it.

joe65

Reaction score
I know, old thread. but pulling it back from the dead because I'm considering this on my 4v set up I'm working towards. If I can find some good condition 96-98 cams i'll probably do this on mine.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
If I end up buying these 106300s I'll sell you mine this winter lol. Only got 30k on em

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online