96-98 Cobra or 03-04 GT?

Defiant

Reaction score
Trying to pick between these to buy. Originally I wanted a Mach 1 or N/A new edge Cobra but they're hard to find nearby and most are just a hair out of my price range. I want to have extra money for mods/repairs unuttamean?

I like that the Cobra starts with 305hp, and saying "I have a Cobra" just sounds cool as hell. Does it not? I like that the GT is a bit newer, updated styling, but 260hp is ehh.

Interior wise they seem pretty similar. I plan to get the wheel wrapped in black alcantara from redlinegoods. Drool. But I like the digital dash updates in the new edge, and how the gauges sweep.

Mainly I've heard that the ECU is newer and updated 98 up? And that the Cobras had oil consumption issues and don't have as big of an aftermarket. Honestly I could settle for 260hp just to have an all around nice car, I just want bolt ons. My current car that I'm trying to get rid of has too many engine mods I got a little sick of it.

Sometimes you just want a fun happy engine with some simple bolt-ons you know? Plus that torque must be nice. :driver:

fran5o

Reaction score
What kind of model is this? Look at the title of the ad http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5933223722.html<br />
<br />
Is this the one that annoys you until you take out the trash?

An 04 v6.....

Any way, I'd say the one you think looks the best....If you do the typical mods ( gears exhaust ECT.) They will both be fun to drive that's for sure.

For me I'd look for a 96-98 cobra over the 03-04 GT.
For one the black interiors that can be found on the 96-98s is much nicer then the taxi cab grey of the 03-04. Plus I feel mod for mod the cobra would be faster in most cases.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Aw you didn't get the joke. Thx for the input though, I do like the black interior more. Seems like each side has a trade off.

Lanter

Reaction score
It's all personal opinion. I actually like the styling of the 94-98 better when you compare the cobra to the GT. The aftermarket support is vast for both cars so I wouldn't worry much on that. I'm biased though owning a '98 cobra but I think grabbing a rare color 94-98 would be the better option between the two. Though perhaps your budget could afford a bullitt? A true blue bullitt would make it a tough choice.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
It's all personal opinion. I actually like the styling of the 94-98 better when you compare the cobra to the GT. The aftermarket support is vast for both cars so I wouldn't worry much on that. I'm biased though owning a '98 cobra but I think grabbing a rare color 94-98 would be the better option between the two. Though perhaps your budget could afford a bullitt? A true blue bullitt would make it a tough choice.

There's a mystic Cobra for sale near me for 4500, that's a pretty rare color hey? I haven't seen a bullitt for sale, they aren't really appealing to me. It's not like with the Cobra that has IRS and a 4V to justify paying more for a rarer car ya know? And it seems like the bullet only comes in dark green but I really really want a black car. I'm really split on between a Cobra or GT, they both cost around the same, one has a better engine while the other is a little more updated. Not sure if the pre-facelift Cobra had IRS though probably no right?

Cobra > GT

Why do you think that? Not tryna argue just genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.

Lanter

Reaction score
There's a mystic Cobra for sale near me for 4500, that's a pretty rare color hey? I haven't seen a bullitt for sale, they aren't really appealing to me. It's not like with the Cobra that has IRS and a 4V to justify paying more for a rarer car ya know? And it seems like the bullet only comes in dark green but I really really want a black car. I'm really split on between a Cobra or GT, they both cost around the same, one has a better engine while the other is a little more updated. Not sure if the pre-facelift Cobra had IRS though probably no right?

Bullitts actually came in a couple colors, black, green, and blue. I get the notion of not having the IRS and the 4v for a new edge bullitt that will be more expensive than a GT. The 94-98s do not have IRS's but you can always swap one in.... that's what I did lol. If I were buying another I would be all over that mystic, assuming the paint is nice. I have a black 98 and wish it was any color but black. They are terrible to keep clean and paint matching stuff makes everything disappear. My sumped tank is painted to match, black fuel lines and fittings to match, black export mirrors, black cage, and the list goes on. Black is so hard to keep clean and everything blends in, but when it is clean it does look good lol.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you think that? Not tryna argue just genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.
I like both body styles, maybe the earlier a bit more.
The cobra styling is better in either body style than the gt. With the cobra you get 4v. Also, cobra name.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
I like both body styles, maybe the earlier a bit more.
The cobra styling is better in either body style than the gt. With the cobra you get 4v. Also, cobra name.
Yes very true, like I said it would be pretty cool to say "I own a Cobra" heh.

Bullitts actually came in a couple colors, black, green, and blue. I get the notion of not having the IRS and the 4v for a new edge bullitt that will be more expensive than a GT. The 94-98s do not have IRS's but you can always swap one in.... that's what I did lol. If I were buying another I would be all over that mystic, assuming the paint is nice. I have a black 98 and wish it was any color but black. They are terrible to keep clean and paint matching stuff makes everything disappear. My sumped tank is painted to match, black fuel lines and fittings to match, black export mirrors, black cage, and the list goes on. Black is so hard to keep clean and everything blends in, but when it is clean it does look good lol.
Black is worth it though! I've owned so many bright colored cars I just like the darkness. It's like a black hole everywhere you go, just looks menacing. Yours is pretty mean by the sound of it!

I like the mystic cobra but it seems like p.i.t.a to have to paint in case it needs body work. The door on it is a little smashed/rusted at the edge so the seller is including a good condition mystic door with the sale. Idk :/

Lanter

Reaction score
Yes very true, like I said it would be pretty cool to say "I own a Cobra" heh.

Black is worth it though! I've owned so many bright colored cars I just like the darkness. It's like a black hole everywhere you go, just looks menacing. Yours is pretty mean by the sound of it!

I like the mystic cobra but it seems like p.i.t.a to have to paint in case it needs body work. The door on it is a little smashed/rusted at the edge so the seller is including a good condition mystic door with the sale. Idk :/

If the mystic may need body work I'd run, painting it will cost more than its worth. If I were looking honestly it would come down to two things.
1. What body do I like more.
2. Is the 4v a must have compared to the PI 2v.

I say this based on what I did, I like the 94-98 body more but wanted a six speed, IRS, 03-04 cobra power, etc. So I bought the '98 and have since built it to be what I want, i.e. built 4v, magnum six speed, single turbo, IRS, and on and on. So it's everything I could have got with an 03-04 but in a body I prefer. So if I were you I would go with the body style you like more and get the best one your budget allows as far as low miles, owners, etc.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
If the mystic may need body work I'd run, painting it will cost more than its worth. If I were looking honestly it would come down to two things.
1. What body do I like more.
2. Is the 4v a must have compared to the PI 2v.

I say this based on what I did, I like the 94-98 body more but wanted a six speed, IRS, 03-04 cobra power, etc. So I bought the '98 and have since built it to be what I want, i.e. built 4v, magnum six speed, single turbo, IRS, and on and on. So it's everything I could have got with an 03-04 but in a body I prefer. So if I were you I would go with the body style you like more and get the best one your budget allows as far as low miles, owners, etc.

That's very true that's a good point there. I guess I can always swap engines and suspension but never the body. Sometimes the 98 and older look better to me, like when I see Orange's car in his sig. Or the cars at the top banner. But I think right out of the box the new edge is my preference, both with mods can look very clean. I think you're right though it's a choice of body style and then mechanicals. The 4v isn't a must have but it's a very nice thing to have. I guess I could always do bolt-ons and cam on a 2V at the end of the day. I sort of want to stick with N/A for a while.

Lanter

Reaction score
If you are planning to stick NA I wouldn't put as much weight on the early 4v. The b heads are not the best NA with their massive intake runner volume so if the total plan is NA you'd benefit a lot by going with C heads but at that point a cammed nasty head 2v will be fun NA as well and probably make similar power.

What's the story on your DSM? I've always had a soft spot for them, actually my first car was a 95 eclipse gs. If it was a turbo I probably would have wasted all my money in it instead of buying and wasting money on my mustang lol. Lets see some pictures of yours, looks good in the signature pic.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
If you are planning to stick NA I wouldn't put as much weight on the early 4v. The b heads are not the best NA with their massive intake runner volume so if the total plan is NA you'd benefit a lot by going with C heads but at that point a cammed nasty head 2v will be fun NA as well and probably make similar power.

What's the story on your DSM? I've always had a soft spot for them, actually my first car was a 95 eclipse gs. If it was a turbo I probably would have wasted all my money in it instead of buying and wasting money on my mustang lol. Lets see some pictures of yours, looks good in the signature pic.
Wow this is good info you are really helping to sway me toward a 2V GT :thumbsup:

My last 3 cars were boosted, I also own a SUV with a 5.7 and a cadillac with a V8 and it's just so much better than a small 4 banger roided up on boost. So yeah I would really like a N/A V8 monster, and eventually if I get bored I can go with a SC. Having torque really underrated. All the import guys bash American V8 engines because they don't make 120hp/ liter like a S2000 but tbh f**k that. Big engine working light is always better than a small engine working hard. Tons of torque and glorious noise over everything.

Yeah that is my 2G dsm in my sig, I used to really like those cars but really idk suddenly I just got a real strong desire towards a SN95 and I find the dsm ugly now so I put that stupid rainbow in there. It's got a bigger turbo, solid mounts, competition clutch, etc.. etc.. bouncing off 2 step and launching with awd was fun for a while but I still rather have a rwd V8 right now. Really hoping to find something nice and clean by spring time. My dsm is fast but like I said turbos on small engines get boring, I have no torque and that sucks when going up hills. I don't see full boost until around 4k rpm so downshifting everywhere is a must.

The transmissions on them aren't great either, people say the TR3650 is notchy but I bet it's not as bad as a dsm. Plus the community is pretty douchey, meanwhile you peeps are awesome on here.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Newer GT over an older Cobra. I've seen stock 96-98 Cobras go against stock 99-04 GTs. Drivers race, so the old 4V IMO isn't a big deal. I've owned an 04 Mach, so I have had experience with a 4V. However, the new edge is newer, rear end is a little wider, and those 2V's are fun as hell with bolt ons and some gears. Cobras are awesome. But I guess after owning this body style for 4 and a half years, I wouldn't buy another. The 3650 trans was my favorite part in my Mach, GTs have the same. Notchy with a short throw, but smooth and reliable. Just my personal 2 cents. Btw, a bolt on GT, gears, short throw and good tires will go low 13s easily. 96-98 Cobras don't go as fast as easily, so take that into account as well. But! Both are great cars, both have advantages and disadvantages. The older Cobras still rocked a T45 trans, a lot weaker than a 3650.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Newer GT over an older Cobra. I've seen stock 96-98 Cobras go against stock 99-04 GTs. Drivers race, so the old 4V IMO isn't a big deal. I've owned an 04 Mach, so I have had experience with a 4V. However, the new edge is newer, rear end is a little wider, and those 2V's are fun as hell with bolt ons and some gears. Cobras are awesome. But I guess after owning this body style for 4 and a half years, I wouldn't buy another. The 3650 trans was my favorite part in my Mach, GTs have the same. Notchy with a short throw, but smooth and reliable. Just my personal 2 cents. Btw, a bolt on GT, gears, short throw and good tires will go low 13s easily. 96-98 Cobras don't go as fast as easily, so take that into account as well. But! Both are great cars, both have advantages and disadvantages. The older Cobras still rocked a T45 trans, a lot weaker than a 3650.

Good info as well! Thanks! The transmission is a deal breaker I didn't even think about that. Yes I do want at least a TR3650, obviously I would take a T56 too but they're pricey. Is the 4V in the mach worth it over a 2V? Like did it feel like a big difference to you? Everybody calls the 2V slow but you and others say it's a fun engine and that's what a want. Some cars give the impression of speed, while others goes fast but feel meh, ya know?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing has torque like a pushrod!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Good info as well! Thanks! The transmission is a deal breaker I didn't even think about that. Yes I do want at least a TR3650, obviously I would take a T56 too but they're pricey. Is the 4V in the mach worth it over a 2V? Like did it feel like a big difference to you? Everybody calls the 2V slow but you and others say it's a fun engine and that's what a want. Some cars give the impression of speed, while others goes fast but feel meh, ya know?

I have a few buddies and female friends with bolt on 2V's, they're fun! I feel you though! The 4V in my Mach was sluggish down low like all 4Vs are, strong top end. Would need 4.10s to fix that and IMRC delete etc yadda yadda. I like the 2V down low, they are torquey little sits. However! My 95 is a pushrod with heads cam intake, 2 step, coilovers etc, and I whooped many 4Vs and 2Vs. But. Me personally, newer 2V over the older Cobra any day. Stronger trans and it being newer are my selling points. Tbh, an intake, headers, exhaust, short throw, gears and some suspension, and the 2V would be really fun. They're light cars too. My opinion, if you really want a 94-98 body, grab a 94-95 pushrod 5.0. Wayy cheaper to build than a 4V, and IMO the T5 always felt better to me than the T45 despite being super similar. I think a properly modded 2V would do well for ya. But the 4V in my Mach had more power stock than a 96-98 4V. There are some differences. Hope that helps!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Eh my Mach was pretty stock besides an exhaust, JLT intake and short throw. So it was pretty slow compared to my pushrod, but barely quicker than my buddies full bolt on GT. One advantage is the 4V revs out higher

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.