96-98 Cobra or 03-04 GT?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would probably go with the newer 2v. Or find a GT shell and drop an explorer PI 4.6 into it so you get the weight savings with the aluminum block.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
I have a few buddies and female friends with bolt on 2V's, they're fun! I feel you though! The 4V in my Mach was sluggish down low like all 4Vs are, strong top end. Would need 4.10s to fix that and IMRC delete etc yadda yadda. I like the 2V down low, they are torquey little sits. However! My 95 is a pushrod with heads cam intake, 2 step, coilovers etc, and I whooped many 4Vs and 2Vs. But. Me personally, newer 2V over the older Cobra any day. Stronger trans and it being newer are my selling points. Tbh, an intake, headers, exhaust, short throw, gears and some suspension, and the 2V would be really fun. They're light cars too. My opinion, if you really want a 94-98 body, grab a 94-95 pushrod 5.0. Wayy cheaper to build than a 4V, and IMO the T5 always felt better to me than the T45 despite being super similar. I think a properly modded 2V would do well for ya. But the 4V in my Mach had more power stock than a 96-98 4V. There are some differences. Hope that helps!

I don't want to go higher than 3.73 gears because I want that low rpm highway cruising. I feel like that's a happy medium.

I would probably go with the newer 2v. Or find a GT shell and drop an explorer PI 4.6 into it so you get the weight savings with the aluminum block.

Trying to keep it mainly stock with some light bolt-ons while I get familiar with the platform.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's actually exactly what you're doing. If you find an explorer motor it just has an aluminum block and is somewhere in the 70 pound or so range of weight savings. Plus, if I remember correctly it is the updated PI heads with more threads so you don't have the spark plug issues.

This route could probably save you some doll hairs and make for a faster car.

My buddy dropped a PI motor into his 97 GT. He had 3.73 and a cold air intake. He was able to cut 12.9's occasionally and consistent low 13's on a primarily stock car.

Just food for thought

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Well that's actually exactly what you're doing. If you find an explorer motor it just has an aluminum block and is somewhere in the 70 pound or so range of weight savings. Plus, if I remember correctly it is the updated PI heads with more threads so you don't have the spark plug issues.

This route could probably save you some doll hairs and make for a faster car.

My buddy dropped a PI motor into his 97 GT. He had 3.73 and a cold air intake. He was able to cut 12.9's occasionally and consistent low 13's on a primarily stock car.

Just food for thought

That's pretty sick actually. I don't get why Ford gave their SUV a lighter engine when the GT could have benefited from it as well.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A clean low mile SN Cobra is one of the best cars on the market IMO. It has looks, brakes and an engine with potential.
I do like my 2V's and a Bullitt is high up on my list of favorites but the Cobra is almost great as is.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
You like the N/A Cobras too? I've been browsing the classifieds here in OC, seen a few NA Cobras with engine knocking. People prolly flog the crap outta them.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Not a fan of the 2v.. I like the 94-04 cobras and 94-95 gt.. The stock t45 sucks. Ive owned One of each except a 2v.. They all have advantages and disadvantages

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You like the N/A Cobras too? I've been browsing the classifieds here in OC, seen a few NA Cobras with engine knocking. People prolly flog the crap outta them.

They aren't bad N/A if you gear the rear with some 4.10's but honestly I would have boost on a 4V as soon as the UPS man could get there.

macuser27

Reaction score
Trying to pick between these to buy. Originally I wanted a Mach 1 or N/A new edge Cobra but they're hard to find nearby and most are just a hair out of my price range. I want to have extra money for mods/repairs unuttamean?

I like that the Cobra starts with 305hp, and saying "I have a Cobra" just sounds cool as hell. Does it not? I like that the GT is a bit newer, updated styling, but 260hp is ehh.

Interior wise they seem pretty similar. I plan to get the wheel wrapped in black alcantara from redlinegoods. Drool. But I like the digital dash updates in the new edge, and how the gauges sweep.

Mainly I've heard that the ECU is newer and updated 98 up? And that the Cobras had oil consumption issues and don't have as big of an aftermarket. Honestly I could settle for 260hp just to have an all around nice car, I just want bolt ons. My current car that I'm trying to get rid of has too many engine mods I got a little sick of it.

Sometimes you just want a fun happy engine with some simple bolt-ons you know? Plus that torque must be nice. :driver:

I assume that this is your first Mustang. They're both good platforms with their own positives and negatives. I'd say get the one that is cleaner, lower mileage and lower priced. Eventually you'll want to move up to Mach 1 or 99/01 Cobra anyway - I know I do! LOL

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Yep true true. I've had a couple answers in this thread now say to just get the cleanest/nicest car regardless if it's a 2v or 4v and I think that's the right logic to go by. Yes this is for my first. At the end of the day I am buying into a platform that can be upgraded to no end :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online