96 cobra engine cut out.

1996 cobra

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have heard a lot about engine cut out due to spark blowout ect. at high rpms. I have a blown 1996 cobra with a different issue, the motor is cutting out at high loads anywhere under around 3000 rpm. If I floor it after it gets up to or past around 3000 it has no issues traveling through the rpm range, but if I get on it before it sputters intermittently all the way through. Any ideas what this could be? thanks in advance!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bad wires then coils. Run the engine at night with the hood up and look for arcing to ground, then take a spray bottle of water and spray around and try to force sputters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be as simple as the throttle position sensor. With a volt meter it takes 2 mins to test

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
update? when mine was doing something similar it was the plug wires even though they were pretty new and ford racing wires.

OP
OP

1996 cobra

Reaction score
I changed the coil packs plugs and wires, this did the trick. I believe it was the coil packs, I ohm checked the old wires and they seemed fine. You never know how good the connection was though. Old spark plugs looked okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online