96 Cobra Gearing

CobRyan

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain my 96 Cobra has the stock 3.27 gearing but how can I tell?
I'd like to swap for 3.73 or 4.10 for primarily street driving around town. Which ratio do you suggest and where can I find and what manufacturer do you recommend?

Thanks

joemomma

Reaction score
There may still be a sticker on the rear diff, but unlikely after almost 30 years. You should be able to decode it from the VIN. As for gear manufacturers, Ford. Always.

Plans for the car? Mods current/future? Either will be a good choice honestly.

badass98svt

Reaction score
You can spin the tires and driveshaft to see what the ratio is.

Also, on a NA 96-98 Cobra that is primarily for the street, I'd either go 4.30s or 4.56
If you go higher (lower numerically) you'll be wishing you went with more. These cars love to rev in the mid-higher RPMs. I ran 4.30s for many years before I changed my whole setup.

LEGALLYFAST

Reaction score
There is tags on some rear ends. But for the most part, Cobras came with 3.27, GT Autos 3.08, and GT stick 2.73.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im a fan of 3.55 or 3.73 for the streets. Just the right ratio for launching and 5th gear cruising. Ford gears are the most easiest when it comes to swapping. The manufacturing is so close you almost dont have to rearrange shims from the stock setup to set it.

OP
OP
CobRyan

CobRyan

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies and information, it's been very helpful. I've only owned the car for 3,000 miles now and know of a few mods from the previous Owner (s): Aftermarket clutch (not sure which but it feels good), Bassani X Pipe and JLT Cold Air Intake. The car runs great, sounds great but I'd like some more performance. I've made a few improvements - Plugs, wires, coil packs, tires, springs, shocks, struts, sub frame connectors, Moog Control arms. I'm relatively certain that the gears are stock but if not they still aren't steep enough. I agree Ford gears are the best fit for the Cobra, just now need to decide which ratio. BTW, where/what is the best site to order Ford gears?
Any idea on how to squeeze some more power from the 4.6L? I thought about a supercharger but not sure if I want to spend that kind of money.
Thanks

Procharged87

Reaction score
Im a fan of 3.55 or 3.73 for the streets. Just the right ratio for launching and 5th gear cruising. Ford gears are the most easiest when it comes to swapping. The manufacturing is so close you almost dont have to rearrange shims from the stock setup to set it.
Totally agree here. If your car came with 3.27s, I’d go 3.73 or just keep it stock like it is. Not worth the cost for just going to a 3.55 from 3.73. If you stay NA, that will help rev that 4v motor up quicker. For power added cars, I think 3.55 is the ideal streetable gear and that’s what the T56 SC Cobras had. If you go power adder later, your just going to boil the tires every time you take off and first gear, while fun, will be essentially useless. To my point, my 95 GT has a Kenny Bell (7lbs), a Cobra T56 with the lower (numerical) first gear than my T5 had, and 2.73 gears and I can still boil the tires at will in first and a power added 4v Cobra would probably produce even more power. That being said, I probably need a 3.55 or 3.27 in mine as it is a little more difficult coming off the clutch for basic street cruising with both a low rear gear and lower first (again all numerically low).

LEGALLYFAST

Reaction score
Ultimately I think it just comes down to what you’re going to do with your car. If you’re only going to street drive it then I probably wouldn’t do anything. You can save up for a supercharger and although gears are cheaper and if you supercharge it later you’re still gonna lose a little something just for a streetcar.

If you’re building a street strip car, then do a 3.73 or 4.10 gear. Because when you’re at the dry strip you’re gonna wanna be happy but you needed to still be drivable on the street. If you’re doing an auto cross/road car then at 3.55 gear will be really good for that.

For example, I am currently building my car to be a great all-around car. Going to have great suspension so I can auto X or do a track day. I’m always been a big fan of quarter mile, so I’m just going to add power to compensate for gearing. At the same time I’ll be able to drive my car on the street and on the freeway I don’t wanna cruise in the slowly. So all that has to be taken into account for.

Historically, 3.73 gear has been a great gear for all the platforms. It will be a significant difference from the stock gearing. If you’re not a drag guy, it will probably feel like too much, and that’s where the 3.55 would be good. If you had a 9 inch you could just slap in a different differential set up but that’s not really cheap. It’s cheaper just a regular your 8.8. It’s almost cheaper to buy a supercharger instead of going to the 9 inch LOL.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Almost blind folded stupid easy
I agree on gears

Snorky

Reaction score
Let me empart some wisdom to you. Use a gear/mph calculator linked here. That will help you figure out your current gear ratio. Just google your transmissions ratios, and add your tire size and guess the gear ratio. 2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56 are all generic aftermarket or stock ratios.

Next. I would highly suggest figuring out your entire plan of modifications, and do the gearing last. It is kind of like a sway bar, a tuning instrument to bring everything together. I may not be a 4v owner, but i have taken my 2v through 2 forms of boost. 3 different sized turbos, and four different gear ratios... and i am back to the original gearing. So.. i will let that speak for itself on why I suggest that. Plus your uses may change over time as well.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Let me empart some wisdom to you. Use a gear/mph calculator linked here. That will help you figure out your current gear ratio. Just google your transmissions ratios, and add your tire size and guess the gear ratio. 2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56 are all generic aftermarket or stock ratios.

Next. I would highly suggest figuring out your entire plan of modifications, and do the gearing last. It is kind of like a sway bar, a tuning instrument to bring everything together. I may not be a 4v owner, but i have taken my 2v through 2 forms of boost. 3 different sized turbos, and four different gear ratios... and i am back to the original gearing. So.. i will let that speak for itself on why I suggest that. Plus your uses may change over time as well.

I've been through 3 different gear ratios too, but even if someone was planning a turbo or SC 2 years into the future, I wouldn't suggest them to get 3.55s or 3.73s. If staying NA for a while, it's totally worth it to just swap the gears again down the road. You're usually in there doing axles etc anyway if going FI.
4.30s are THE gear for all around performance on the 96-98 4V. I was still routinely getting 22 mpg on the highway with the 4.30s too, all while driving 80 at 2600 RPMs or so. These engine love to rev.

For what it's worth I'm currently running 3.55s with the turbo setup, and still wish I went 3.73s in my case. I still may change it at some point.

Snorky

Reaction score
I've been through 3 different gear ratios too, but even if someone was planning a turbo or SC 2 years into the future, I wouldn't suggest them to get 3.55s or 3.73s. If staying NA for a while, it's totally worth it to just swap the gears again down the road. You're usually in there doing axles etc anyway if going FI.
4.30s are THE gear for all around performance on the 96-98 4V. I was still routinely getting 22 mpg on the highway with the 4.30s too, all while driving 80 at 2600 RPMs or so. These engine love to rev.

For what it's worth I'm currently running 3.55s with the turbo setup, and still wish I went 3.73s in my case. I still may change it at some point.
Yeah, i started with factory, went 3.73s NA. Then bumped it up to 4.10s added a blower and ET streets. Then went 67mm turbo built motor and 3.55s now i am at 75mm turbo with 3.27s. Con.. wasted a lot of time and money doing gear changes. Pro.. i am like Rembrandt with the paint. Its gotten a lot easier...

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah, i started with factory, went 3.73s NA. Then bumped it up to 4.10s added a blower and ET streets. Then went 67mm turbo built motor and 3.55s now i am at 75mm turbo with 3.27s. Con.. wasted a lot of time and money doing gear changes. Pro.. i am like Rembrandt with the paint. Its gotten a lot easier...
I'm running a 67mm now with the 3.55s, but really want to go down to the 3.73s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online