96 Cobra H pipe remove

Discussion in '96-04 - 4V Specific' started by Limey, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Limey

Limey New Member

Hi Guys
    I am removing the H pipe on my '96 Cobra and I am having trouble getting a socket on the passenger side lower manifold to H pipe nut. I have removed the other 3 but I have broken a socket UJ trying to remove the last one. Is there a way of either raising the engine or dropping the sub-frame to get a straight access to the nut?
    Bruce

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Have you removed the starter?

3. Limey

Limey New Member

The starter is not in the way and I need to remove the H pipe to get to the top starter bolt

4. cwgu3

cwgu3 New Member

You get the top starter bolt out by going in from the front of the motor mount. I use a 10" and 6" extension with a 13mm shallow socket .
    As for the manifold nut, if it doesn't turn try heating it 1st then use a shallow socket with a swivel.

5. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

A shallow socket is normally too short. You need a mid depth, 6 point, impact, 18mm socket. Then a good universal swivel and a long pull handle. You can get it. If not, it’ll break, and then you just start with the next phase of repair.

DKblue98GT and PerryB. like this.
  6. Limey

Limey New Member

Thanks for your replies guys
    You have confirmed my own thoughts. I just didn't want to carry out any unnecessary strip down.