'96 Cobra

switch96

Reaction score
Hey guys
I didn't see a Newbie forum so I guess I'll make this my first post. I'm 18 years old, from NW Ohio. My entire is big into cars, particularly Fords. Numerous family members have worked at the Lima Engine Plant. My Grandfather retired comfortably after serving as an accountant. However the most influence on cars I've recieved was from my Father, who recently auctioned off his '69 428SCJ Mach 1 in order to buy an '08 G.T. 500 (which is INCREDIBLE, by the way). My first car was an '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I sold that and bought a restored '86 Turbo Coupe shortly after I turned 17. After a few mods (FMIC, 3" Exhaust, Fuel Upgrades) I was putting 220hp to the rear wheels. About 6 months ago I decided I wanted something newer, more reliable, and preferrably much faster, so I started working my a$$ off and counting pennies. I was able to sell my car on Thursday, and drove down to Cincinatti to pick up the car pictured below. I've always wanted a Cobra, ever since my Dad owned a Pacific Green '97 with Tan Leather. I never thought I would have one so soon!! For all you haters, let it be known that I don't "mooch" off of my parents. I started saving for my first car when I was 10 years old. I have paid for literally everything, including gas and insurance. While this was tough at times, it made me really appreciate what I had -- a car that was mine, one that I could be proud of. I'm happy my parents did it that way. The Cobra is the same deal. It's all mine! So to all you young guys out there, remember, work your tail off and your dreams can come true... lmao.

But you don't want to hear my life story. You want to hear the facts.
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Laser Red w/Black Leather (one of 926)
T-45
Mach 460
91,000 Miles
BONE Stock
Kicker: $5,000!

Supposedly I am the 3rd owner, although I'll be running a Carfax soon to verify. It was at a dealer in Cincinatti, approximately 2 hours away. I was able to talk him down to $5,000 from $5,500. There are a few things that don't make it the perfect Cobra. Most are due to sitting in one place for apparently quite some time.

1. The paint is quite faded. The door jams make the rest of the car look peach or pink.
2. The headlight lenses have some moisture inside.
3. There is a small dent on left front quarter.
4. The passenger side was keyed.
5. The water temp. guage is non-functional.
6. The CD player is non-functional.

Mechanically, the car is absolutely sound. The thing that I love the most about the car is that it is completely stock, unmolested. I even love the fact that the fender or scratch hasn't been fixed. Not only did those things allow me to afford the car, they will allow me to fix it the correct way. Outside, the car shows more wear than average for a '96, but not too bad at all. The interior is fantastic. The front seats have a few spiderwebs, but no tears, no cracks in the dash, nothing. The rest of the interior looks brand new, minus the shift knob.

Here's a list of things I've done since it came home yesterday.
1. Replaced fog light bulbs (burnt out)
2. Installed and wired underdash water temp. guage
3. Temporarily resolved CD player issue
4. Detailed engine, interior, and exterior.
5. Removed Pony from grille.
6. Found out it is 3x worse than a TC in the snow (but I can't stop driving it, anyways).

For the time being, I'm planning on opening up the exhaust (a LOT) and fabbing up a CAI. After that, I'll be saving up for something that starts with K and ends with enne Bell.

Enjoy, I look forward to learning a lot here!

[attachment deleted by admin]

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
It was a great buy for $5,000! Sounds like you know what you want to do to it! Nothing wrong with that!! Keep us updated on its progress & post pics! Sweet!

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support, guys.

Tomorrow I'm going to temporarily fix how quiet my exhaust is... I'm going to have a shop replace the mufflers with straight pipes. Planning on going to headers, x-pipe, and straight through mufflers soon anyways, might as well have some LOUD fun in the mean time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.