collinselectric5
Reaction score
It broke on the driver side near the mounts and was flopping so I removed it

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
So I haven't had any overheating issues yet besides a leak that I don't know where it is. But yesterday my temp for to the L and I pulled over, it went down a little and started to creep when I started driving again. Pulled over again and I revved the engine to 3-4000 rpm and the temp went back to normal down to around the O. Is that a sign of something stuck, needing to be replaced?

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Sooo, my coolant was a little low and the temp stays where it normally does. I'm an idiot lol... I just didn't check it cuz my coolant light didn't come on at all. Btw, I go through about a half gallon of coolant every 200-300 miles. I've yet to find where it's all going

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
No puddles under the car, I don't notice any puddling in the engine bay and my oil is clear. I do smell coolant when I park after I've driven it pretty hard but still can't see any coolant. If I'm driving it easy I don't really notice a smell

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pin hole in the radiator. Under pressure it will spray a very hard very small stream. Mine did that once and it was in a spot that you could never see it but you could smell it. The hole was so small that the stream was so tiny that it was pretty much evaporating before it could puddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had same problem once. Figured it out when the temps got 0°. The excaping coolant froze, revealing itself.

Pull the sparkplugs out one at a time. Cylinder could be leaking. I went through this with my Durango.

Look at the underhood padding for coolant residue. Usually be a green chalking look. Heavier towards the leak spot.

Take a flashlight try to peak into the engine block valley under the intake manifold. Could be the heater tube.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
First of all I appreciate all ur guys help with my noob questions lol... I replaced the plugs 2 weeks ago and they all looked exactly the same, nothing bad that stuck out in my eyes anyway. I guess with the temp being pretty cold today I should check under the hood again. I'm assuming I should run it pretty hard since that's when I smell the coolant the most then check?

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
evilcw311 I'll b checking to see if some of those suspension parts u have are still available in a couple weeks, as long as nothing major pops up with this car lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
evilcw311 I'll b checking to see if some of those suspension parts u have are still available in a couple weeks, as long as nothing major pops up with this car lol

Good luck finding the problem.

Just hit me up when your ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
I had same problem once. Figured it out when the temps got 0°. The excaping coolant froze, revealing itself.

Pull the sparkplugs out one at a time. Cylinder could be leaking. I went through this with my Durango.

Look at the underhood padding for coolant residue. Usually be a green chalking look. Heavier towards the leak spot.

Take a flashlight try to peak into the engine block valley under the intake manifold. Could be the heater tube.

Your coolant should most definitely not be freezing lol.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
go by a radiator place, they may be able to find it for you. even if a pin hole, with the pressure it is under after you stop, you should be able to see or hear it if it is spraying out. how much are you loosing by the day or week or whatever time frame you are using to check it.

the stock style radiators for these cars don't cost that much so if you think that is it, just get another one and see if that fixes it.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I think my leak is coming from a coolant hose though I can't pinpoint it. I'm just gonna buy a hose set since pretty everything on this cobra looks original. Will a cheaper brand of hoses be a bad choice? Also, I need a pcv hose but can't find one specific for a 96 cobra. Has anybody else ran into this?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
for the pcv just get the right diameter and cut it to length.

when you get the coolant hose, be careful. most stores including NAPA sell the wrong one for the one that goes straight down in front of your radiator (from the coolant crossover tube down to t stat housing). they sell ones that are too short and too big. you need the right one for that one in particular.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Pcv hose is done, I just gotta order a radiator hose kit. I also replaced my fuel filter yesterday and discovered some rusted fuel lines (Everything's rusted under this car) and I'm having second thoughts on putting money into this cobra to get it the way I want it.
4d1a78b21e8f31b7e59dfa3086114ea3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online