96 GT: Auto to Manual swap

Shane

Reaction score
How involved is the swap to the manual transmission?

What are the parts I need?

I assume;
Driveshaft
T-45/Bellhousing
Cross member
Clutch assembly
Pedal assembly
Quadrant
Cable; What else?

Does the electical need to be changed? Wiring harness, Computer,, Is the trans electrical?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you need the trans harness and the ECU also.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i think you also need the Trans crossmember for T45

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
I've done the swap. You need the trans, clutch kit, clutch cable, pedal assembly, and a tune to turn the automatic trans functions off in the computer. I can't remember if I reused my driveshaft or not. I'm pretty sure I used the factory one though. You don't need a trans crossmember. I used the same cross member and the same trans mount, although I did have to elongate the holes in the crossmember where the mount attaches. You can also use your factory automatic trans harness too. You have to splice in the reverse light switch. You don't need an automatic computer either. Handz, where do you get your stuff? Did you just make all that up?

mustang183

Reaction score
You will need a 5-speed drive shaft or at least the front yoke from one and swap it over to your drive shaft. The T-45 has more splines than the 4R70W. I re-used my cross member but I bought the off-set trans mount from Ford for an easy install. If you hunt around ebay or the junkyards you can usually pick up a trans harness for under $50, you don't need it but again it will make the install easier. I don't think anyone mentioned a flywheel yet either. I didn't realize how many small parts I needed until I got into the swap like the shift boot/bezel, lower shift boot, shifter, new clutch & flywheel bolts etc... But it was worth it! :headbang:

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
T45 GT Spec uses same cross-member as the Auto. T45 Cobra spec uses a different cross-member because its mounted further back. I would go 5-speed Computer and Harness just to be legit. If your like me that do not like hacking stuff up go that route. And you can reuse your original drive-shaft. Just need to change the front yoke out for a 5speed one, or buy a new yoke which Latemodelrestoration sells. The rest is basic 5speed equipment you need like pedals, etc. I have a master list on my computer if you need it let me know.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Goindeafonmtx said:
Handz, where do you get your stuff? Did you just make all that up?

I have never done the swap, But i know what is involved since i have taken apart both an automatic SN95 and a Manual SN95.

You dont need the trans crossmember, but you will have to modify the stock one.

You dont need a 5-speed ECU, but you will need a tune.

the things i listed just make the swap quick and easy.

98green5.4

Reaction score
5 speed computer isn't necessary if you are okay with a check engine light. lol.

but if you have emissions in your state/county then you'll need that light off.

OP
OP
S

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I bought the car. It's red with black leather interior, 90,000mi. Paint is abit faded and sunbleached on one fender from sitting in a window in storage (No car cover!!!).. Its rust free which is hard to find in Nova Scotia, and the car is tight on the road. I think I got a pretty decent deal at $4900, took some dickering though. Just trying to gather 5 speed swap parts now and then we will be starting the work.

OP
OP
S

Shane

Reaction score
Managed to get a clutch quadrant pedal assembly and a set of 95 tail lights tonight for $20

This is going to be slow and painfull. I'm having a hard time trying to find a T-45.

OP
OP
S

Shane

Reaction score
Am I able to use my stock flywheel or do I need to buy a flywheel.. I know I need the bolts, anyone have a ford part number or a size?

98coop

Reaction score
there's one in the classifieds for sale i believe.

and DO this. its easy and the best thing you can do for an automatic car. hands down. Fun factor goes up 100 times, car sonds better, and itll make it a good little bit quicker also. I did mine, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat

98coop

Reaction score
Dont know the part numbers, but you'll need a flywheel for sure. and auto has a flex plate, which wont work with a clutch set up. make sure you get the right flywheel bolt pattern also. You'll need a 6 bolt set up assuming your car's got a 96-98 engine with the six bolt crank. and you'll need the longer flywheel bolts. Call mps for the random odds and ends you'll need 770-867-2644. They' helped me alot with bolts, wiring, and little stuff like that.

OP
OP
S

Shane

Reaction score
Do I need a blockplate aswell or will the one I have now work

mustang183

Reaction score
Shane said:
Do I need a blockplate aswell or will the one I have now work

I re-used the block plate when I did the swap, the lower inspection cover will bolt right up to the T-45.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
too bad i didn't see this sooner, i have the parts in my car, except the actual trans...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online