96 GT: Auto to Manual swap

RareBreed

Reaction score
When you do the swap, you will also need to tie wire the cable that runs from the shifter to the steering column in the closed position. I think is's a neutral safety switch. The car will not start without doing this. I did it on my 98. Oh and like the rest of the guys said, you will need a tune on the ECU, mine would shut off when stopping at traffic lights until the ECU was corrected. All the parts can be sourced from a scrap yard pretty cheaply. LRS carries the drive shaft yoke [Item # M236041X ]for $72.99.
[http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...line-Driveshaft-Yoke-Tremec-T45-3650-T56-Tko]

Good luck with the swap and post pics if you can.

drftrmike

Reaction score
check out ampperformance.com they sell complete swap kits its where i got my kit from and its fairly cheap.

vtecftw

Reaction score
i used a manual trans harness with auto ecu. the car had a hesitation when the ecu was expecting a shift, it revved around 2-2.5K rpm when rolling, and the OD light continuously flashed. used PRP to change the trans switches to fix the OD / hesitation and dashpot settings to fix the revving. luckily i already had an aluminum driveshaft on the auto, so i just swapped the yoke back to the manual one. don't forget the longer flywheel bolts or you might end up with some stripped threads.

Corie clausen

Reaction score
I've done the swap. You need the trans, clutch kit, clutch cable, pedal assembly, and a tune to turn the automatic trans functions off in the computer. I can't remember if I reused my driveshaft or not. I'm pretty sure I used the factory one though. You don't need a trans crossmember. I used the same cross member and the same trans mount, although I did have to elongate the holes in the crossmember where the mount attaches. You can also use your factory automatic trans harness too. You have to splice in the reverse light switch. You don't need an automatic computer either. Handz, where do you get your stuff? Did you just make all that up?
Hi I was wondering where you got the tune to turn your automatic functions off I did this swap on my 98 but don’t know where to get it tuned or who to go to???

Nathan Rixmann

Reaction score
Don't want to hijack this thread but... the t45 cars are still cable clutch? Not master/slave? That was my biggest fear in this swap.
Also, is the harness leading from the ecu to the engine bay the same? Only difference is engine harness?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes cable! You gonna need the clutch pedal and brake housing set up along with a quadrant. Im not certain if the cable hole in the fire wall is there, so check that out.

Neutral safety switch and odometer ....if i recall correctly is all the hook up needed for the 5spd.

Nathan Rixmann

Reaction score
Yes cable! You gonna need the clutch pedal and brake housing set up along with a quadrant. Im not certain if the cable hole in the fire wall is there, so check that out.

Neutral safety switch and odometer ....if i recall correctly is all the hook up needed for the 5spd.
Thanks man, you the best!

Reaction score
master/slave is honestly a horrible setup IMO

the more analog and less tech the better. especially in these cars. pretty easy swap too. plenty of us here have done this swap in the driveway, including myself with a friends 99 he used to have.

i still use my factory clutch cable and for all i know its the original one from 97 with 300K miles and you can tell im not easy on my car considering its use

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online