96 GT AUTO - Transmission clicking - video

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Ill have to look at a power flow to see what is common between the two. Does the car drive ok?

Seems to drive fine. I went down a narrow road with house both sides and I could here it then. I thought there was a motorbike or something as it sounded tinny/raspy.

Ive been underneath and can't see anything loose. Oil & trans oil are ok. I jacked it up and revved but it didn't do it with the wheels off the floor. So I dropped it back down and went for another drive. It didn't do it so I drove home again spirited and stopped outside my house and it's doing it again now but only in reverse

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Seems to be just under load.

After viewing some you tube vids I'm thinking that the noise maybe timing chain/tensioner related. Going away for a week anyway so I'll need to forget about it till I get back now.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Ok so back from my hols and popped out to my car club meet tonight, replicated the clacking noise for a couple of the mechanically minded members. They all agree that the noise is not coming from the engine and seems to be further back i.e. Towards the tranny.

One guy did say that my engine was moving a hell of a long way back and forth. If I have a poor engine mount could this movement back and forth cause any rubbing/fouling between the starter plate, flex plate or torque converter etc?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok so back from my hols and popped out to my car club meet tonight, replicated the clacking noise for a couple of the mechanically minded members. They all agree that the noise is not coming from the engine and seems to be further back i.e. Towards the tranny.

One guy did say that my engine was moving a hell of a long way back and forth. If I have a poor engine mount could this movement back and forth cause any rubbing/fouling between the starter plate, flex plate or torque converter etc?

It shouldnt make any difference because the engine and transmission are bolted solid together. Is there any way you could try to pinpoint location of the noise? is it coming from the torque converter or further back in the transmission?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online