96 GT driving me nuts

Taker73044

Reaction score
Okay start out I bought this car for $500. The kid I got it from told me is had a tranny issue but everything he described sounded more like hesitation and stumbling and dying. When I went and looked at the car it wouldn't start. So I bought anyway $500 for a GT is hard to pass up. Got it home did some digging around and discovered the PCM ground was not grounded to the radiator core support it was just hanging there. Hooked it back up and it still refused to start. After some playing around I finally got it to start. But it was idling high at about 2,000 rpms so I replace the IAC which did not make a difference. So I pulled the kick panel off on the passenger side where the PCM is. Discover that the middle connector out of the three large connectors in front of the PCM ground wire that was melted to the other wires in missing 90% of its insulation. After seeing that went to the Salvage about another PCM and followed that ground wire to the OBD2 diagnostic port and replace the whole wire. Before I put the other PCM in I started the car and it was still running at 2,000 rpms. So I replace the PCM now that seem to fix my high idle issue.

After replacing the PCM new issues have come about the car seems to idle at about a 1000 to 1100 RPMs
When I rev the engine the idle hangs and then slowly drops. She is also hard to start. When I get out on the road I get lots of hesitation stumbling and popping through the intake. The RPM's also seem to stay between 12 and 1500 until I come to a stop. It also seems to bog out at times when I'm driving. One thing I did notice is that when I unplug the TPS nothing happens at all no changes. I also have a P0302 code for a cylinder 2 misfire. Also have code p0141 p0142 p0172 p0175 any help PLEASE.

Also since this grounding issue I had fried my prior PCM should I also change the ccrm could it be the problem with everything above? I really don't think it's the problem but I'm not too familiar with the 4.6 liter set up.

OP
OP
T

Taker73044

Reaction score
Also I forgot to mention because of the PCM frying was the kid that I got it from thought the two ground wires that was supposed to connect to the radiator core support we're supposed to be hot wires so he connected them to the battery positive terminal. I found this out after I got the car home. That's why I was wondering if I should change the ccrm to.

07GtS197

Reaction score
All those codes are o2 sensor codes, have you checked the wiring for the o2 sensors?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online