96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Drove the car a bit but it wasn't going into boost without some serious throttle so I bought a 2" shorter belt to make up for the difference in pulley size from the supercharger and the removed a/c compressor.

It hits boost easier with the shorter belt but has a tendency to kick the belt partially off (until the idler pulley guard stops it). After a few days of investigation I've discovered that my alternator must be the culprit; every other pulley seems to be aligned properly and spin straight but the alternator has a clearly noticeable wobble when spun by hand.

I'll probably replace that next since it's 23 years & 165k miles old. I just replaced one on my wife's 07 civic SI with similar mileage 2 weeks ago for ~$100 with an advance auto coupon so I'm hoping I run into another deal like that for the mustang

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn I don't know how I missed this thread, I love SVO builds. Glad you stuck with it and didn't part out.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also yours is the only other 3 series FRPP blower that I have seen other than mine. I know they are out there but I never saw another PI version.

000_0175.JPG 000_0172.JPG

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Also yours is the only other 3 series FRPP blower that I have seen other than mine. I know they are out there but I never saw another PI version.

View attachment 2169 View attachment 2170

Yours looks like it's had a lot less abuse than mine! Is yours running right now?

I'm still jumping over hurdles here; replaced the alternator and now it won't start lol. I must have blown a fuse or something but I'll try to mess with that after work today. I wanted to give up on it but it's pretty damn close now and I spent too much to let it go to waste

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Still no start after changing the alternator. Checked all the fuses and they looked good, still no start. Swapped back to my old alternator, still no start.

I hear the fuel pump kicking on so I don't know what's up with it.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Murphy. That dude should be shot, then hung, then burned at the stake.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Did you disconnect or break the solenoid wire going to the starter? I would get the multimeter out and start checking the starter relay to make sure it’s getting power and ground.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
isn't there a fusable link on the power wire for the alt? Check for +12v constant on the terminal on the alt. My guess is that wire shorted out.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! You guys lead me in the right direction, @lwarrior1016 i failed to mention that it's cranking over strong just not firing up. Could it still be an issue with the wire to the starter?

@ttocs I will check for the 12v at the alternator. You are probably on to something here, the fuseable link is tucked away in my fender but not hard to access at all. I believe it looks like a white plug

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_2807.JPG

Close enough to 12v, gonna rule that out.

Another variable I didn't think about earlier is that I took my wife to Target and filled it up with premium before we got there. It took a long time to start when we left Target and had a slight miss. I wonder if I got bad gas

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Bad gas can do it. I don’t think it’s a starter problem. I would try to start it a couple times and then pull a couple plugs out and see if they are wet. Make sure your injectors all have 12v going to them.

Did you confirm that you’re getting fuel at the rail?

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Bad gas can do it. I don’t think it’s a starter problem. I would try to start it a couple times and then pull a couple plugs out and see if they are wet. Make sure your injectors all have 12v going to them.

Did you confirm that you’re getting fuel at the rail?

Thanks for the advice!

I don't have a fuel pressure tester but it'll spray out of the testing port when I press it lightly with a screwdriver.

All 8 injectors have 11.4v going to them (because my battery needs charged again from cranking it over)

Also have the same voltage at the power wire at the coil pack plugs.

I tried to start it a few times, pulled two spark plugs and they both were dry.

I think I'll go get a bottle of HEET just to try something else and dump it in the tank.
IMG_2812.JPG IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG

07GtS197

Reaction score
Check your fuel cutoff switch in the trunk. Is the theft light flashing? Are you using the same key youve been using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
how old was the gas that was in it?

Not more than a few weeks/months, it was near empty when I parked it and filled it with premium before starting it a few months ago. I'm onto something though (see below)

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Check your fuel cutoff switch in the trunk. Is the theft light flashing? Are you using the same key youve been using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked the inertia switch last night and it was good to go, and same key as usual. I made a discovery though; after taking the alternator out again using one hand to hold and one to unbolt, it was resting on the crank sensor wire (I re-routed to hide) and I realized the weight of the alternator broke a solder point.

I think an inoperable crank sensor=no start. I'll fix that and report back.

Ok a side note, I've learned so many things doing so many stupid things.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
A bad crank sensor will most definitely cause a no start. It won’t even let the fuel pump continue to run while cranking. I think you found it.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_2818.JPG
A bad crank sensor will most definitely cause a no start. It won’t even let the fuel pump continue to run while cranking. I think you found it.

I re-soldered the wires to the crank sensor and wrapped them with the last bit of electrical tape I found on the floor of the garage. Cranked the starter with the dying battery and it fired up on the last dying revolution.

She's humming now! Glad it was something else stupid. I revved it up harder than my neighbors probably liked and the belt didn't get kicked off so I'm hoping that issue is solved as well.

Gonna let it run for 20 minutes to get the battery charged back up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online