96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_3448.JPG

My wife snapped a photo of the struggle on the way back from the farmers market. I forgot to add that the frayed belt kicked off the the crank sensor wire and made me coast into the water treatment plant parking lot to plug it back in.

I've got to keep a sense of humor with this build to keep me from giving up.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Got a thinner washer, the belt seems to be holding steady on there revving it up in the garage. I didn't take it out yet but I'll see what it does when I have more time this week

IMG_3449.JPG IMG_3450.JPG

01yellercobra

Reaction score
If it keeps up get a laser level to check alignment. I hung mine from the hood and made sure it was showing up on the pullies. It showed a couple idlers out of alignment that looked fine to me. I fixed those and was good from then on.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you just tried slapping a straight edge on the front of the pullies to see if they all line up? It only needs to be 1/16" off to be a pia and its impossible to see with out some help.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Have you just tried slapping a straight edge on the front of the pullies to see if they all line up? It only needs to be 1/16" off to be a pia and its impossible to see with out some help.
The problem with that is some pulley lips are thicker than others. The best way to do it is over the ribs.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
If it keeps up get a laser level to check alignment. I hung mine from the hood and made sure it was showing up on the pullies. It showed a couple idlers out of alignment that looked fine to me. I fixed those and was good from then on.

Yeah that's next on the agenda if it keeps kicking the belt off. I don't have a laser level but they aren't too pricy so I'll pick one up if needed

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

I had all my straight edges out trying to check but it's tough to tell because the front of the pullies differ in thickness. Gates makes a laser level pulley alignment tool but none of the local parts stores have them in the loaner tool program, I'll just buy a regular laser level and work with that if I keep having issues

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Drove quite a bit today without belt issue. The only thing that concerned me was how bad it stumbled and missed when I was in 5th on the highway (going about 60-65) and hit the accelerator without downshifting. Shifted into 4th and it smoothed out.

I enjoyed the car quite a bit finally but the copious amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust is out of hand. Need to do my valve stem seals soon

IMG_3651.JPG

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one! A buddy of mine used it to change his valve seals with the cams on the heads so I know it works.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one! A buddy of mine used it to change his valve seals with the cams on the heads so I know it works.

I ended up getting an Amazon gift card for my birthday and used it for the tool (posted above) and an e-brake handle for my wife's civic. I appreciate the offer to borrow tools but I know how slow I can be at getting non-emergency car repairs done.

To update this: I started the car last Saturday on my weekly trip to Aldi and it died after moving out of the garage. I pushed it back into the garage and it wouldn't start up again.

I figured it was due to previous damage to the crank sensor wire when the belt shredded and caused some mayhem. I pulled a wire and connector from a crown vic at the junkyard this week, hooked it up and everything works as it should.

Probably going to be until next spring when I feel comfortable driving this car regularly

PinkieT

Reaction score
Glad you got the parts and tools you wanted. I'm trying to get my second garage remodel in order so I can get my Mustangs in for their winter naps. Slow going...

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Glad you got the parts and tools you wanted. I'm trying to get my second garage remodel in order so I can get my Mustangs in for their winter naps. Slow going...

Slow going is still going!!! Keep it up man!

I found a few exposures on the crank sensor wires and was able to hook things up and back the car out of the garage under its own power; just in time to make garage space to change tie-rods and ball joints on my wife's civic si.

People should know that work on a 4.6l mustang is a little frustrating, but nothing compares to the rage that comes with installing new ball joints on an 07 civic.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Started to tackle the valve stem seals. I always wonder why I lack motivation to start projects like this, then as soon as I get going I remember why the hesitation is there. I know this is a relatively simple job and there’s not much point in documenting it but it might give someone a laugh and I can vent.

I started in the rear drivers side since there’s absolutely no room and I figured it would be the most difficult; I was right. The tool worked ok at getting the spring off but it kept slipping off the cam with the extension I had to use. Getting the spring back on got the best of me. The bottom piece of the tool fell into the K member twice, had to Jack the car up and use a magnet to find it both times. After about an hour of struggling failure I decided that this level of rage was probably taking years off my life expectancy so I put a magnet on the valve to hold it and drained my compressor (cylinder is at the top as well).

New plan of attack:

-Ordered the spring compressor that bolts to the cam cap holes.
-Going to wedge the timing chain tensioners (worked for my last cam change), remove the cams and try the new tool when it arrives.

I’m not patient enough to work around the cams with a two piece tool that keeps slipping off. Hoping for better luck with the new one.

photos for reference:

75416389-6545-4B16-B75B-4D064DB361D6.jpeg D716C955-0F72-4481-86CF-6D3B01170630.jpeg 46E7B6E6-D63D-46A2-8F6B-E1F49183CD9D.jpeg 9C11AA7B-ADFC-4C10-82FD-6A7C015D0741.jpeg D5E3A16E-1DFD-446C-B15D-E3F479B1B6A2.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.