96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

AStangThang

Reaction score
I was thinking about the alternator in the AC spot, just have to make up my mind if I want to give up cool air. I think @96blak54 made some brackets a while back that looked pretty stout
MMR has the relocation kit for the Alt. I think there like $60-70. I'm just going to go ahead and make mine. My Bullitt intake makes me either get a Bullitt alternator or I can do the relocation kit. I took my AC off, so its easy for me. I weighed the AC and all the lines for shits and giggles, it weighed 27lbs all together if you was wondering.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Put a thick coat of paint stripper on it tonight, the label said to give it "plenty of time" to work so I'll see what it does in 24 hours when I can get to it tomorrow.

f352fac3193f0ce23bbd0abc0a61dbf1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
MMR has the relocation kit for the Alt. I think there like $60-70. I'm just going to go ahead and make mine. My Bullitt intake makes me either get a Bullitt alternator or I can do the relocation kit. I took my AC off, so its easy for me. I weighed the AC and all the lines for shits and giggles, it weighed 27lbs all together if you was wondering.

27lbs is a notable amount of weight off the front end, thanks for the info! I'll check out the MMR kit too.

AStangThang

Reaction score
Put a thick coat of paint stripper on it tonight, the label said to give it "plenty of time" to work so I'll see what it does in 24 hours when I can get to it tomorrow.

f352fac3193f0ce23bbd0abc0a61dbf1.jpg

Definitely give it time. You might want to check it during the night and see, just to be safe. Like 12 hours or so. I do love that blower though, how many pounds you going to run? 8?

PinkieT

Reaction score
I hope you get it all sorted out and after a while want more power, get a Kenne Bell, and sell your Ford Racing set up to me!

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I appreciate the link you posted and the experienced based advice. I was hoping someone on here had some knowledge about these, you're the guy I'm gonna need!

I'll take more time to gather the supporting parts and get it tuned properly if you're experience says that it's worth it.

There's a post below mentioning relocating the alternator to the AC location, this thought crossed my mind but I'm not sure I'm wanting to give up AC yet. What size belt did you get with the alternator relocated closer to the drivers side?

Thanks!
It's a good kit for what it is. Where this kit really maxes out (pulleys, cams, water/meth, porting etc.) is right about where a stock bottom end gives out. So in a way it's a great setup. Stealthy too. If you want more than 400hp at the wheels, start with a forged bottom end and a different blower.
The big downside is no intercooler. If you don't go water/meth then IATs are higher. Don't be discouraged though, they always seem to run better at the track than the dynos would have you believe. Nothing beats an M112 for bottom end punch though.

My recommendation is the way Ford set up the kits in the instructions. The tccoa roots SC forum has a few guys with pictures when you're ready for that. There's one goofy bracket for the alt that's the only hard part to make, and they've got that figured out.

Belt sizes vary, depends on the pulley and exact setup, since not all cars have the same pulley locations. I want to say around 111-112 is a start, but it's trial and error. Don't count me on that.

Sadly, mine is sitting on my bench. Once the kids don't require 24h supervision I'll be able to work more in earnest. That and all the damn remodeling on the house. Lol

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
How did it turn out?

It seems like it dried and most of the paint stuck back onto the aluminum lol. I wire wheeled off a bit in the easy to reach areas but I'll have to let it sit for less time and try again.

Definitely give it time. You might want to check it during the night and see, just to be safe. Like 12 hours or so. I do love that blower though, how many pounds you going to run? 8?

It came with a 6lb pulley so I'll plan on sticking to that initially and leave some room for improvements down the road.

I hope you get it all sorted out and after a while want more power, get a Kenne Bell, and sell your Ford Racing set up to me!

That's not a bad idea! I'll probably be slow on collecting parts and finally installing this but if I ever get rid of it I'll keep you in mind. How's your car coming along?

It's a good kit for what it is. Where this kit really maxes out (pulleys, cams, water/meth, porting etc.) is right about where a stock bottom end gives out. So in a way it's a great setup. Stealthy too. If you want more than 400hp at the wheels, start with a forged bottom end and a different blower.
The big downside is no intercooler. If you don't go water/meth then IATs are higher. Don't be discouraged though, they always seem to run better at the track than the dynos would have you believe. Nothing beats an M112 for bottom end punch though.

My recommendation is the way Ford set up the kits in the instructions. The tccoa roots SC forum has a few guys with pictures when you're ready for that. There's one goofy bracket for the alt that's the only hard part to make, and they've got that figured out.

Belt sizes vary, depends on the pulley and exact setup, since not all cars have the same pulley locations. I want to say around 111-112 is a start, but it's trial and error. Don't count me on that.

Sadly, mine is sitting on my bench. Once the kids don't require 24h supervision I'll be able to work more in earnest. That and all the damn remodeling on the house. Lol

Thanks for all the info sir! I'm going to start digging into that thread and piecing stuff together.

You gotta focus on the family and house first, so it's completely understandable to have the car further down the list. We just finished a lot of house projects but more keep coming up that are definitely going to slow me down too.

If E85 is available, swap to it!

That's what my buddy suggested, i haven't paid attention enough to know where they are at but I'll have to keep my eye out while filling up.

PinkieT

Reaction score
My car? Firing it up once a month. No plans for any major work until next fall - last thing I want to do is lose another summer of driving when a project stalls. I do plan on doing the PI swap in the fall along with an exhaust upgrade.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My car? Firing it up once a month. No plans for any major work until next fall - last thing I want to do is lose another summer of driving when a project stalls. I do plan on doing the PI swap in the fall along with an exhaust upgrade.

That's a good plan, I like to have my ducks in a row before installing parts to minimize down time because of our short driving season.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
37542bf8de8c2dd8c15d26253a975457.jpg
5bbf4a896e9ef97b7d3d779decca44d9.jpg
6312c6bec1046fff81ed2adbb02b2400.jpg

Lots of time but little progress. Hit some of the easy to reach spots with the wire wheel. Getting this thing cleaned up entirely may take more time than I'm willing to put into it, is there any down side of prepping it and painting with high temp paint?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes, its nowhere near as durable as powder and only a matter of time will you wack it with a wrench, or drop something on it that leaves a blemish. I guess the question is how bad is that first scratch gonna bug you? IF you want to hit the easy button take them in for powder, paint is the cheap button and then polishing is a completely different beast. The upper I got was painted red, on top of the factory powder. After stripping it all off I would spend an hour here, an hour there polishing it and it only took me 2 years.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Now that you know what a PITA cleaning it up is, have you considered having it media blasted?

AStangThang

Reaction score
Hey brother, I would definitely get it powder coated, it will last and it will be nice. I had my Bullitt intake powder coated a graphite color. Its my pic on here. Vote for the powder coat.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
A red scotch Brite pad will help a bunch in the smaller corners. Mine is still in the natural aluminum, so I haven't had to go through this myself. Are there any markings between the two plugs in the back? Is the printed tag still on the nose? Is it readable? I'm the one running the registry of these, so we can determine how many were made, and hopefully of each type.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A red scotch Brite pad will help a bunch in the smaller corners. Mine is still in the natural aluminum, so I haven't had to go through this myself. Are there any markings between the two plugs in the back? Is the printed tag still on the nose? Is it readable? I'm the one running the registry of these, so we can determine how many were made, and hopefully of each type.
an intake registry?

95opal

Reaction score
Ive polished, powdered and painted many intakes. Paint is by far my favorite for many reasons, ether way you go prep is key and the most time consuming. jFYI powder does chip and scratch and can only be cleaned with mild soap and water so dont be fooled by the hype.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Indeed. There's conflicting reports of how many were made, and no breakdowns of which ones. There are 3-4 different varieties of the above blower:

Roush racing casting on top (all NPI),
SVO cast, NPI ports
SVO cast, NPI ports, with COP bosses tapped,
Ford Racing cast, PI ports and tapped bosses .

Some are stenciled with the serial number from the rotor pack tag, some are just stenciled with a number... If I can get enough of them together I can see if there's a pattern to the numbers that helps decipher how many total or how many of each type originally existed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online