96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You need a newer 5.4l alternator. Its case diameter is smaller. Probably gain you an inch of space.

I have a few alts layin around, try to get you size comparison pic.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
You need a newer 5.4l alternator. Its case diameter is smaller. Probably gain you an inch of space.

I have a few alts layin around, try to get you size comparison pic.

An inch of space from the alternator and a small spacer plate under the sway bar mount (if needed) might be the perfect fit. If you are able to get a comparison I'd appreciate it!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I made one for my rc car so I don't see why you can't for a full size :) . Although it would be a pain as you need some really stiff pipe and to get it done perfectly will be difficult.

Just send me your schematics and I'll multiply the dimensions by 18.

I did remove the sway bar tonight, figured one step forward to getting this car running is progress. Hope to get a few things checked off the list this week as the weather improves

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Drained some coolant, removed the PI intake manifold and set the supercharger into place. Everything seems to fit pretty well but I'm going to need to buy shorter bolts to go into the heads.

ccc34309ca023c0ac3d8a5c92e6116da.jpg

84f0cba497c36eb5d405d2dbdde5577a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Wasn't the mark8 alternator shorter as well? I know there were a few tbird people looking for a similar setup that needed a short alternator... The Allen s/c people maybe? Check tccoa for a search on short alternators, you might get some leads.

Draining coolant is always a pain in the butt. And every time you think it's empty, there's more. Swap going nicely!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My wife helped me take the hood off and the extra room & light are amazing. Tucked some wires under the manifold and discovered that the rear coolant port (that goes into the heater core) isn't sealed off by the manifold base. The hose is supposed to be re-routed to the front crossover pipe, just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to seal off the coolant hole at the back of the passenger side head.

be6dcc379d2e0a16357cbd13632771dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

EDIT: I discovered is just a hole that goes down to the valley of the top of the block. Doesn't look like it serves a purpose other than to contain coolant on top of the motor if your intake cracks. Not gonna worry about sealing it off

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Wasn't the mark8 alternator shorter as well? I know there were a few tbird people looking for a similar setup that needed a short alternator... The Allen s/c people maybe? Check tccoa for a search on short alternators, you might get some leads.

Draining coolant is always a pain in the butt. And every time you think it's empty, there's more. Swap going nicely!

Thanks man, I'll check a few out next time I go to the junk yard too. Can't get better info than by looking first hand!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
5fc713318bafcf1f949d5b0ec32974ec.jpg

Didn't do a ton today but I got the injector harness tucked underneath (hidden enough for me). It's going to be a pain to cram the COP harness next to it but I want it out of site and under the manifold too if I can find a way.

Need to do some research on what to do for the throttle cable bracket next

Silver95bird

Reaction score
My wife helped me take the hood off and the extra room & light are amazing. Tucked some wires under the manifold and discovered that the rear coolant port (that goes into the heater core) isn't sealed off by the manifold base. The hose is supposed to be re-routed to the front crossover pipe, just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to seal off the coolant hole at the back of the passenger side head.

be6dcc379d2e0a16357cbd13632771dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

EDIT: I discovered is just a hole that goes down to the valley of the top of the block. Doesn't look like it serves a purpose other than to contain coolant on top of the motor if your intake cracks. Not gonna worry about sealing it off
Check your old gaskets and manifold, but I'm pretty sure that's a sealed passage. On the left bank it goes from the water pump to the thermostat.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Check your old gaskets and manifold, but I'm pretty sure that's a sealed passage. On the left bank it goes from the water pump to the thermostat.

You're correct, after looking at it again it just goes straight down and is open at both ends. Doesn't look like it serves a purpose for head function, might have been used to hold the head during manufacturing or something

d.garza18

Reaction score
Since your not using your pi intake, would you sell it?? I can buy it today man

d.garza18

Reaction score

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

I shouldn't need it anymore so send me an offer over PM or at [email protected]

The second coolant sensor is drilled and tapped to work on NPI cars. I broke a few of the bolt holes for the coil on plugs but that shouldn't matter if you're sticking with coil packs.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
You're correct, after looking at it again it just goes straight down and is open at both ends. Doesn't look like it serves a purpose for head function, might have been used to hold the head during manufacturing or something
No. It's because the heads are universal castings. You only need to swap the oil galley plugs I believe.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Took a little time away to do some racing that I'm better suited for at the USATF 100k championships (running). Came back with the gold so it's time to take a break from training and dive back into the car!

b9b73b28c778b7a2054dbe8540b0b005.jpg

Spent way too long trying to remove the plug in the coolant crossover where my second sensor goes. Got fed up and heated it till it was cherry red so I could remove the stripped square bolt with vice grips (and new found old man strength). The plug was crammed in there and stripped out the crossover so I re-threaded the hole and put my sensor in. That's enough for the night

e72e578a209b2753ef184f89e7fb1e1c.jpg

d82af80777ee344302c1d42ee07329a1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online