96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
You will read vacuum until your pushing the pedal enough to be making boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I revved it up a bit after loading the tune and it stayed around -9. I definitely screwed up on the vacuum lines but I have a better idea of how to re-route them now

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_7415.JPG IMG_7416.JPG IMG_7417.JPG IMG_7418.JPG Had some time today and pulled out my box of vacuum lines I bought from junkyards over the years. I still don't know what to hook the bypass box up to.

From looking at silver95bird's photos and google images (there's not much else out there online) I realized I had the PCV (and catch can) hooked up in the wrong spot. Fixed that and started hooking things up the way other builds looked like they were done.

So far it runs the smoothest this way but I don't have it right yet.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Ordered an innovate motorsports wideband and some NGK TR6 spark plugs Wednesday and they came to my door Thursday.

Gapped the plugs to .033 per recommendation.

Im planning to order some higher quality fuel injectors (I never learn my lesson about eBay parts) and change them out when I do the plugs.

I have MIL eliminators on the rear O2 sensors so I was hoping I could unscrew a sensor, leave it plugged in & tied away underneath the car, and put the wideband somensor in its place rather than weld in a new bung. Anyone have any input on doing that?

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_8410.JPG Installed and calibrated the wideband last night. Still don't have the vacuum lines routed properly but it's smoothing out. Didn't get home in time to mess with it tonight but hopefully will get something done this weekend

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
IMG_8493.JPG Didn't realize how big of a pain getting wires under the dash would be. Spent a few hours today tidying up wires for the gauges and got the wideband & boost gauge mounted in the pillar pods permanently (I hope)

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Been chasing down what seems to be a misfire. I couldn't tell if it was from vacuum lines, my homemade COP harness, or a coil pack; so I changed all the plugs to NGK TR6 gapped at .033, took out the COP harness and re-installed coil packs & wires. Seems to run better at idle but it's still pig rich ( bouncing between 10-12:1 air/fuel) and blasting fuel heavy smoke that makes me throw my clothes in the washing machine after I'm done. Going to get some better injectors and see if the tuner can help me out.

Overboost

Reaction score
I like both styles of gauge pods. center bezel and the A pillar. I was going to go with the center because I want to keep a low profile and not give away, too obviously anyways, that I have boost.
you can hear the blower wine but it is faint.
great looking project, it will be interesting how it all turns out in the end. unless you are like myself, and there is never really an END to a project.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I chased similar problems with mine that sending them off to be cleaned helped a lot.

The injectors are brand new from China (I assume) off eBay; I think it would be better to send my memory off to be cleaned! I seem to forget that you can't have a quality & inexpensive part unless you spend a lot of time making it yourself.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I like both styles of gauge pods. center bezel and the A pillar. I was going to go with the center because I want to keep a low profile and not give away, too obviously anyways, that I have boost.
you can hear the blower wine but it is faint.
great looking project, it will be interesting how it all turns out in the end. unless you are like myself, and there is never really an END to a project.

I debated about where I wanted to mount the gauges but it came down to what was in stock at Summit Racing in Akron, OH when I passed it on my way home on a payday lol

I hope to get this car running reliably so I can go to the 1/4 mile track occasionally and have another choice than my rusty truck to go to the store when I'm not in my company vehicle

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The injectors are brand new from China (I assume) off eBay; I think it would be better to send my memory off to be cleaned! I seem to forget that you can't have a quality & inexpensive part unless you spend a lot of time making it yourself.
good-fast-cheap = pick 2
I have no idea what the quality of your injectors in the car is to compare but I know from exp that bad injectors are a pain to figure out. I diagnosed it through the individual header temps after starting cold and pulling the plugs and inspecting them

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
good-fast-cheap = pick 2
I have no idea what the quality of your injectors in the car is to compare but I know from exp that bad injectors are a pain to figure out. I diagnosed it through the individual header temps after starting cold and pulling the plugs and inspecting them

They were about $120 online and no name brand so I have a feeling they could be the culprit. I hated my job at Snap-on but I do miss having a temp gun and a $10,000 scanner at my disposal whenever I wanted.

I am still not 100% sure on my vacuum routing but I don't know if that would cause something like this

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Well I talked to Willie over at dirty dirty racing and he sent me another tune to lean things out a bit. It's running better so I decided to take it for a spin (12 miles or so). AFR is bouncing between 11-14 but staying closer to 14 than the old tune, still might need better injectors.

It's running decent but I'm still thinking I have my vacuum lines screwed up. It took a lot of throttle to even see 1lb of boost and I've got a little bit of a hanging idle.

Felt good to finally drive it and wash off the dust.

I drew a vacuum diagram, if anyone wants to tell me how wrong I am I would appreciate it!!!
IMG_9668.JPG
IMG_9670.JPG
IMG_9673.JPG

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have 48 lb and my tuner told me they are too much. Funny that is what holley recommended but I am sure they are thinking to leave room to grow later.

My tuner also told me to get rid of my pcv valve. I have got mixed reactions on what to do with it before this but I trust him more then most and will be doing so.

I would think that you should take the charcoal can out of the vac lines but I am still learning as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online