96 GT runs hot

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Belt is new, I replaced that because it was old.
Thermostat works, I tested that during my radiator flush.
It took 9 flush cycles to get clear water...
Radiator is a common issue with the 96 and a 3 core is on my list of things to actually upgrade.
For now my concern is getting the pieces I have now to work.
I did check the connectors on the wiring harness, as mentioned nice and clean, most things that burn tend to either turn black or leave discoloring, these are still shiny, wires I unpinned from the harness and checked, then repinned, condition and connection is verified.
Coolant is less than 2 weeks old, 40/60 mix, with new Tstat gasket, stays at the Cold fill line where I had topped it off after burping it.

Thus far I am shooting for fan or sensor, in regards to money set aside for general maintenance, I am considering just revamping the whole system.
Overkill? Most likely, but a new fan, 3 core radiator, and sensors, would leave only the harness to blame, in which case another easy fix.

I have a rather large modding budget, but am only alotting 700 to the cooling system. I was trying to just fix it myself first so if anything should happen down the road after my upgrade, I wouldn't have to ask.

PonyGlued

Reaction score
The sensor is very simplistic and does rarely fail it can be tested for V's with a multimeter though. Fan is most likely still good and should turn on at 221F. The fan works, or you would be over heating already IMHO

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Problem fixed.
All in all cost $180
Finally got a volt meter, ordered a fan. Put it in yesterday in about 15 minutes, turned the a/c on, started the car, about 10 seconds later fan kicked on. Drove it around, (and yes I know dummy gauge) But regardless never went past R. Forgot my SCT tuner in my DD so I couldn't log temps, but all is well!

Now ordering toys to dress up the interior.

I appreciate everyone's help.
This would have been much faster if I didn't have to wait for reasons to drive 100 miles round trip to the store but hey, it worked.
Got my fan from LRS, it's a Dorman...hopefully it lasts.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Just curious, are you still problem free? I've been having the same issue, new t stat, hoses, and radiator. If its the fan ill just swap mine out

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Mine turned out to be just the fan.
It runs a bit warmer than I would like, but that's just the old radiator. My new fluidyne should fix that.

But yes in the end, I bought a new fan from LRS and all is well now.
I got a ccrm, tested it, and mine was fine so the money spent was refunded.

But its been changed for a while, I've been driving it quite a bit after the fix.
Hottest temps have been 61, but average around the 40s.
I even drove to drill which put around 230 miles over one weekend.
All is still well.

As I said, it cools fine. Just runs a little warmer than I would like. But still much cooler than before I fixed it.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thanks man, after digging around I realized why my fan was screwed up. The wires going to the fan were wrapped in electrical tape from the previous owner and the exposed wires were corroded. I'm going to replace the wires and that should do it, if not ill go your route and get a fan next

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I know LRS has the harness replacement.
Everyone told me to check mine, so I did.
Mine wasn't hacked as you described, looked factory.
I did accidentally break the little clip, but it still works haha

I checked the pins and connectors, nice and shiny, so nothing was burnt.
Glad it was the fan, I was about to gank everything and replace.

This summer I'm upgrading the whole thing anyway.
But I wanted to learn how to fix and diagnose anyway, glad I did, if anything happens again, I now know what route to take in troubleshooting.
A lot of parts to our cooling system. Fan, wiring harness, CCRM, sensors, T Stat, Radiator, water pump, I found out under the PS dash there is a resistor that is connected to the fan as well...too many parts to not know where to start looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online