96 Gt Sputters/misfires/stalls when hot

96lhsb

Reaction score
I’ll try to be as specific as possible with my symptoms. I just bought a 96 Mustang Gt with a 108k miles. The car will start right up and drive perfectly fine for about 20 minutes until the car has warmed up and gotten pretty hot from the summer sun. Then when I come to a stop at a stop sign or red light the car will start to sputter and die unless I put it in neutral and keep on the throttle but if I don’t pull off and let the car cool down after the first stop of having to stay on the throttle it will die at the next stop even if I’m on the throttle the whole time. I’ll let the car sit for about 30 minutes and then it’ll drive for another 15-20 minutes without any problems. I also have a misfire during hard acceleration but I think it may be unrelated I’m not sure. I’m pretty lost I can’t find a TFI module on this car anywhere I’ve never own a ford at all before this last Friday.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Can be the fuel pump, IAC (Idle Air Control Actuator), or even the ETC sensor (coolant sensor)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
First thing to do is hook up a good scan tool and see what the codes are. Then I would check fuel pressure and like boostr said, make sure the coolant temp sensor is reading correctly.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Above are great starts to look into but I'll add a couple things you can look into as well. Pull the codes and post them up.

Dont bother looking for a tfi. Doesnt exist on the 4.6.

Pretty common to have intermittent coil pack failures related to heat (2 of them on front of engine with 4 plug wires each). Could also be fuel pump intermittently failing as well although less likely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

96lhsb

Reaction score
First thing to do is hook up a good scan tool and see what the codes are. Then I would check fuel pressure and like boostr said, make sure the coolant temp sensor is reading correctly.
Unfortunately my obd2 port doesn’t work I pulled the fuse for it and found a 30a fuse where there should be a 20a so I’m afraid something might have shorted the circuit and couldn’t blow a 30a fuse I went ahead and put a 20a fuse in but it still didn’t work

OP
OP

96lhsb

Reaction score
Can be the fuel pump, IAC (Idle Air Control Actuator), or even the ETC sensor (coolant sensor)
Would the idle air control cause the rpms to hang too? I can press the throttle to get the RPMs up to say 2500 and it will take a good 10-15 seconds for them to settle back down to 750. I think my coolant temp sensor is working it never shows it’s overheating and it takes a pretty normal amount of time to get up to operating temp but I’ll go hit it with a multimeter real quick

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
There are two different temp sensors, one for the computer and one for the gauge. They may not report the same. Yes, the iac can cause the rpm to hang and can cause stalling, but it will not cause the stutter or misfire. We need to find out why that obd port isn’t working. You really really need that. Maybe someone has a schematic so you can troubleshoot the circuit?

OP
OP

96lhsb

Reaction score
There are two different temp sensors, one for the computer and one for the gauge. They may not report the same. Yes, the iac can cause the rpm to hang and can cause stalling, but it will not cause the stutter or misfire. We need to find out why that obd port isn’t working. You really really need that. Maybe someone has a schematic so you can troubleshoot the circuit?
I have everything I need to trouble shoot it I tried looking up a schematic but I couldn’t find anything matching. I do have a check engine light though

Boostr1

Reaction score
I have everything I need to trouble shoot it I tried looking up a schematic but I couldn’t find anything matching. I do have a check engine light though

If you have a check engine light, you need to get that OBDII connection fixed. The ECT looks similar to the temp gauge sensor but it's on the right side of the Intake if you are looking at it from the front of the car.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Water/moisture in the sparkplug holes. Cracked coil packs, old cracked sparkplug wires, a plug wire rubbed a bare spot shorting out, blown head gasket will start up great and run cold but sputter when hot.

Get under the hood and start flipping things over

OP
OP

96lhsb

Reaction score
Replaced my fuel filter which seems to have stopped the stalling for now. I pulled each spark plug coil and tested for spark and cylinders 1 and 5 had really slow intermittent sparks while the other 6 were arcing the entire time

OP
OP

96lhsb

Reaction score
Looks, like your finding the problems.
Yessir as soon as I read fuel pump I started thinking about the fuel filter because the guy I bought it from let it sit for 3 years and probably didn’t empty out the bad gas before getting it running

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online