96 GT Vert - 2nd Time Around

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, been lurking here for about 2 months. Thanks to everyone for sharing so much great information about these great cars.

I recently purchased a 1996 GT Vert......for the second time. I purchased the same car in 1999.

In 1999, I bought this car for my wife as a graduation present. We drove it a few years, then we sold it to my parents. Its journey then went from my parents, to my brother, to one of my brother's kids, back to my brother, to another kid, back to my brother, and now.......back to me 15 years later.

The first time around, we did nothing but drive it. This time around, I plan to do some mods!!!

I also have an 8 year old daughter who will grow up riding in the backseat of the Vert!! The begging to go for rides has already started.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome! That's awesome to see the younger generation excited about these cars. Keep us posted with your mods and have fun!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Always awesome to know the history of a car! Glad you got it back, looks to be pristine!

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Hey SwimG...Welcome..Glad you could join us!

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for the warm welcome. MYK, my immediate plans are fixing / upgrading numerous minor items around the car. Long term plans include a complete engine rebuild.

Short Term
1" Wheel Adapters - done
New headlights - done
New Tires - done
New Corner lights
Repair and Resurface Stock Wheels
Cup holder mod
Replace broken odometer gears
Replace passenger window regulator
Replace windshield
New leather / foam for front seats
New leather for rear seats
New single DIN radio to add bluetooth and add a storage compartment under radio
Sequential Tail Light Mod
Interior & license plate light LED upgrade

Long Term
Rebuild Engine & add PI components

That's about it for now. Luckily, the car is still in pretty good shape, both the interior and exterior.

myk

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for the warm welcome. MYK, my immediate plans are fixing / upgrading numerous minor items around the car. Long term plans include a complete engine rebuild.

Short Term
1" Wheel Adapters - done
New headlights - done
New Tires - done
New Corner lights
Repair and Resurface Stock Wheels
Cup holder mod
Replace broken odometer gears
Replace passenger window regulator
Replace windshield
New leather / foam for front seats
New leather for rear seats
New single DIN radio to add bluetooth and add a storage compartment under radio
Sequential Tail Light Mod
Interior & license plate light LED upgrade

Long Term
Rebuild Engine & add PI components

That's about it for now. Luckily, the car is still in pretty good shape, both the interior and exterior.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm starting to think I should've gone with 1" wheel spacers instead of 1.5" but oh well. A lot of your plan coincides with mine with exception to the interior. Make sure to keep us updated and show pictures of your progress...

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
I will put up a build thread once I get enough done to make it interesting. At this point, I'm not looking to go crazy with her, just update her enough that she will serve as a fun weekend driver for the family. I am looking forward to the modest power gain the PI upgrade will bring, but that will happen this summer (hopefully).

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Nice looking car man. To be completely honest though; Mustang and "going crazy with it" go together like peas and carrots.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
I know what you mean.....I've only had the car a few weeks, and my mod list keeps getting longer and longer. I'm sure I'll join the numerous people who are never really done modding.....but, I plan to take my time and enjoy it along the way.

I can feel the Mod Gods calling me to spend more $$$!!!

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
MYK, do you have a build log of the updates you've done to your interior? Or any pics, would love to see.

myk

Reaction score
My 98 was bone stock up until a month ago. In that time I did Koni shocks, SR lowering springs, front chin spoiler, S281 wing, 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the rear, clear headlights and corners and ......a Bullitt fuel door in black. :rolleyes:

The tear down for the PI swap begins in the next couple of weeks. I am keeping the stock GT wheels and don't plan on changing anything else except painting the S281 wing white to match the car. I could use an interior cleaning but it's not too bad right now. I wish I had taken pictures as it went along. Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, OP...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online