96 GT Vert - Interior Restore / PI Build

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Details are in my build thread in my signature, check it out if your interested in doing it yourself. This was only my second time doing a seat recover. If you have any questions about it just lmk.

Bluex, those seats look awesome, exactly what I want down to the seat heaters. Where did you mount the seat heater switch, and are you pleased with them?

bluex

Reaction score
Thanks I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. The vinyl is nice but I don't think it will get mistaken for leather. For the price it's worth it. Its definitely better quality stuff than from back in the day. This is who made the upholstery http://www.tmiproducts.com/contact-us.html drop a note to them that your interested in redoing your seats an you'd like a sample of whichever color. Include your mailing address an you should get one.

As for the seat heaters I still haven't hooked them up yet an haven't really decided a good switch location either. I'm thinking in the shifter bezel will be the best spot though.

bluex

Reaction score
You comparing to new car leather? Or oem mid-90's Mustang leather?

It seems very similar to what was left of the factory leather in my car. My seats were in really rough shape though so it might not be a fair comparison. From what I found only the insert parts of the factory seats are leather, the rest of the fronts and the entire rear seat are vinyl from the factory. This also helped me decide to do the the all vinyl replacement. The TMI stuff is definately nicer than what I removed off my factory rear seat which honestly wasnt in that bad of shape but it wouldnt have matched the fronts as well had I not recovered it. The vinyl upholstery in no way resembles the leather in a new car today.

SwimGreg, you can also buy just the front covers from TMI if you dont want to mess with the rear seats. Again the sample will help you decide if the rears have aged to much for a close enough match. That might be an option of you only want to redo the fronts and will save you some money.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
It seems very similar to what was left of the factory leather in my car. My seats were in really rough shape though so it might not be a fair comparison. From what I found only the insert parts of the factory seats are leather, the rest of the fronts and the entire rear seat are vinyl from the factory. This also helped me decide to do the the all vinyl replacement. The TMI stuff is definately nicer than what I removed off my factory rear seat which honestly wasnt in that bad of shape but it wouldnt have matched the fronts as well had I not recovered it. The vinyl upholstery in no way resembles the leather in a new car today.

SwimGreg, you can also buy just the front covers from TMI if you dont want to mess with the rear seats. Again the sample will help you decide if the rears have aged to much for a close enough match. That might be an option of you only want to redo the fronts and will save you some money.

Well, it sounds like the best corse of action is to request samples of both the vinyl and leather. Would love to save the $$$. Maybe I could just tell the wife its leather.........

bluex

Reaction score
Well, it sounds like the best corse of action is to request samples of both the vinyl and leather. Would love to save the $$$. Maybe I could just tell the wife its leather.........

Thats what I would do if I was undecided between them. To be honest the leather was totaly out of my price range and I was only considering the cloth or vinyl. The vinyl won mainly for the easy clean up, which has already been put to the test twice now since I got them installed lol. They would probably already be stained if I had went with cloth.

bluex

Reaction score
To compare here is a picture from another forum of a very nice stock leather seat

Here is mine

I caught some flack on the FB page because I went with vinyl and they were "cheap looking" just from the pictures though I dont really see much difference. Thats just my opinion though.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
I caught some flack on the FB page because I went with vinyl and they were "cheap looking" just from the pictures though I dont really see much difference. Thats just my opinion though.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference by looking at them. I am going to ask them for a sample of each.

What Facebook page?

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Got the radio installed today. After a lot of research, I was prepared to run into issues with the Mach 460 amps. But, all went smooth and easy. I did modify one of the connectors I received when I bought the radio from Crutchfield. Total install was less than one hour (with a few cold beverages thrown in). I love being able to jam some of my 80's music over Bluetooth!

Also, the color of the radio is adjustable, so I am going to fine tune it to match the new LEDs. Its just set on Blue in the pictures, but it matches pretty well.

Before

After

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looking good so far! I totally get doing interior upgrades over the engine first. It's hard to enjoy your car, even if it's fast, if you don't like sitting in it.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Looking good so far! I totally get doing interior upgrades over the engine first. It's hard to enjoy your car, even if it's fast, if you don't like sitting in it.

Thanks mcglsr2, I am hoping to at least get through the summer with the 4.6. It runs great, but probably has over 200K on her, and pees on the garage floor a little, so I know a rebuild is coming. We are definitely enjoying her, the wife more than me I think!!!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The stock "leather" front seats are half vinyl so going with the TMI vinyl isn't a bad idea for the $$$$$ you save. The sides and rear of the front seats are not leather, only the part where your ass and back touch.

I redid my seats a few years back with Katskinz leather and while it is all leather you really can't see/feel a huge difference over stock leather/vinyl.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
The stock "leather" front seats are half vinyl so going with the TMI vinyl isn't a bad idea for the $$$$$ you save. The sides and rear of the front seats are not leather, only the part where your ass and back touch.

I redid my seats a few years back with Katskinz leather and while it is all leather you really can't see/feel a huge difference over stock leather/vinyl.

Seats look good DropTop!

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work man! I have that same CD player in my truck and love it! Don't have to touch anything as long as the Bluetooth on my phone is turned on, it automatically starts when I start the truck. I like what you did with the cup holder in the old ash tray, I may do that as well.

OP
OP
S

SwimGreg

Reaction score
Great job freshening up your vert so far!

Nice work man! I have that same CD player in my truck and love it! Don't have to touch anything as long as the Bluetooth on my phone is turned on, it automatically starts when I start the truck. I like what you did with the cup holder in the old ash tray, I may do that as well.

Thanks guys. I really like the stereo with the bluetooth. Was really happy I didn't have any issues with the factory amps.

The cup holder is awesome. I know it sounds silly, but it really makes a difference to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online