96 GT vs Foxbody 5.0

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
Ran my car for this first time down at House of Hook in Jackson, SC... just thought I would post up a video we took. I know it's an impressive run, so don't knock on me too badly.

96 GT vs Foxbody 5.0

I'm in left lane... My sepentine drive belt is a little too big for the smaller SC puller and tensioner wasn't quite making up for the slack. With the slipping serpentine belt, the car was only making 4-6lbs of boost at best (tuned for 10-11lbs) and the track temps were easily pushing over 100*F... either way, I still outran the 5-speed 5.0 w/CAI & gears...

RT: 0.003 - I was quite happy with ths!
60': 2.090
1/4: 14.535 @ 91.99mph - Not exactly where I wanted to be, but definately gives me room for improvement. Again, this isn't a race car.

Hope to improve my ET's once I get the correct size belt on the car... Also, full interior, AC, PS & spare tire in trunk.

OP
OP
B

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
Code:
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN COPIED FROM THE TIMESLIP THREAD TO HELP KEEP THAT THREAD ON TOPIC AND FREE OF CLUTTER

RT: 0.003 - FTW
60': 2.090
1/4: 14.535 @ 91.99mph :(

Slipping charger belt, only making ~4lbs of boost - FTL

14537.jpg
14535.jpg

------

97 king cobra said:
Supercharged..... 14.5 @ 92mph?!
Venom351R said:
ouch.........

Track temp = 101*F
Slipping belt making ~4psi
My first 2 trips down a 1/4m track ever...

...yeah, 14.5 @ 92mph

------

Duff Daddy said:
what year is your car ???

It's a 96

------

97 king cobra said:
boosted4pt6 said:
Duff, it's a 96

What was the 60'? A bone stock 96 usually mph higher than that.... Was the car tuned?

I just dont want to see the car blow up because there is obviously something wrong... What supercharger?

Post up more details, maybe we can help.

Well... according to the timeslips posted above, 60' times were 2.088 & 2.090. The car was tuned at 10psi w/Vortech V2 S-Trim, O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Exhaust, FRPP 3.73 Gears, 90mm Lightning MAF, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, FRPP Green-Top 42lb Injectors, AEM UEGO Wideband, Steeda Springs, 17" Bullitt Wheels, 275/40 M/T ET Streets

As I said before, that night it was 101*F and I was having some belt slip issues from the belt being about 1" too large and only making ~4psi, needless to say, it was running pretty rich the night of the runs. I have since replaced the belt and am making boost correctly, I plan on going back this Thursday to retest it.

I will be taking logs this time as well.

------

Venom351R said:
Is is tuned at all right now?

Yes, I'm running a Delta Forces Sniper Tune for 10psi.

...and as stated above, the belt has been changed and the car is now making boost again. Also, it's an automatic... IDK how much of a difference that will make in 1/4m MPH...

------

EDIT: I have consolidated all my posts to keep the thread clear of too much clutter. If you would like to further diagnose my slow ET & mph, please post in my video thread to help keep this one on topic. I'm not complaining, I appreciate any advice I can get, but I don't think this is the right thread for it.

Thanks,
Nick

97 king cobra

Reaction score
From your original post I thought this was another backyard hack job but your setup seems pretty good. Only problem might be the auto, if its stock. How much hp did you make on the dyno?

Hopefully the problem was with the belt and youve fixed that. When are u going back out?

OP
OP
B

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
Going back out this Thursday, unfortunately we're looking at another 100*F night... The auto is stock with carbon clutches, I also refuse to go any further than a mild shift on the Sniper software. I think I may need to do some adjustments with my shift points. I haven't got her on a dyno yet, started with the Sniper base tune for my can and it put me at 10.2 AF's at WOT, so we have been slowly pulling fuel to get to a conservative 11.3-11.5 AF at WOT. I went down to a 112" belt from a 113" but there is still some slack (not nearly as much as before), so I may be replacing the belt with a 111.5" next week, but we'll see how she holds boost Thursday.

What kind of times do you guys think I should be running and what kind of speeds should it be trapping?

97 king cobra

Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors.

I see youre on Dr's so traction shouldnt be a problem, do a nice burnout till you can see smoke for a couple seconds.

Depends on what the race weight of the car is (you+car).

Also do u have exhaust, cai, suspension mods, etc? Your setup, dyno tuned should make 300rwhp through the auto trans.

So id guess low 13's, high 12's @ 105ish mph. But the above factors will make a big difference in either direction.

OP
OP
B

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
I didn't say it wasn't possible... I was just wondering if that was a reasonable goal for my setup w/automatic tranny & 100* heat...

97 king cobra

Reaction score
boosted4pt6 said:
Low 13's in 100* heat?

I live in south florida. I ran 13.23 @ 103.19 a few weeks ago in my bolt on N/A 95 5.0 with a ton of suspension work and a ton of weight reduction. The temp was 95 w/ a heat index of over 105. With 90% hummidity....

Trust me, it can definately be done.

OP
OP
B

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
Okay cool... any quick and easy weight reduction I can do today since I'm off work? I know I need to pull the spare tire, but is there anything else? I really need to get some lighter wheels; but that will be on down the line.

97 king cobra

Reaction score
rear seat and passenger seat can be removed and reinstalled in a hour or less. (I did it one too many times when the car was still on the street). Those two combined weigh close to 100lbs.

97blackgt

Reaction score
I have almost an identical setup :97 gt, 5spd, 3.73, vortech v2, FMIC, 42 lb injectors, lightning maf, UCA and LCA's, catback, with about 100 lbs weight reduction. I dont go to the track very often, but i ran 12.9 at 109 best. Thats with no traction offf the line.

I also have a sniper tune...around 11.9 afr at 8 PSI. How if your drivability with that tune anyways? Im using the same aem wideband, and it jumps around a lot driving around town...mostly runs rich.

97blackgt

Reaction score
Can you send the log any differently...when i load it..it comes up, but its hard to read..can you send it to me in an email so it will be on a table like in recon.? Something is def. majorly wrong..i was running slightly faster times before the charger.

OP
OP
B

boosted4pt6

Reaction score
You should be able to go into Recon and click File>Open, then select the file... then it should open as a table in the software. If that doesn't work, I can email you the file I have (should be the same file) that I just opened like that.

NotQuik

Reaction score
Something definately isn't right and I can't open the file. As a comparison my 96 with only a PI intake in florida summer heat went 14.5@94 on street tires, only got one pass before the tranny broke. That's full weight with a/c, p/s, spare, leather, stock full exhaust including mufflers, ect.

If you have a wide band on there what is your a/f?

As you know...there is definately more potential in your car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online