96 Mustang 3.8 P1443 and P0156

Zethioth

Reaction score
I need direction, as I'm not sure to which direction to head.

I bought the car with a check engine light in hopes to fixing it. So far, it hasn't been the simple stuff.

P1443 - EVAP Control System Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve Fault

I have already:
-Replaced Purge Valve and Purge Flow Sensor
-Checked Carbon Canister (No Crack, Not Plugged)
-Replaced all Rubber Hoses from the Canister to the Intake Manifold

P0156 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

I have already:
-Replaced O2 Sensor
-Verified Battery Voltage (12v) at connector
-Verified Continuity from O2 Sensor Connector to PCM Connector (Signal and Heater Wires)

This is what I get on the scanner. No activity for the rear sensors, although when I switch the rear sensors to the front, and recheck my scanner, I do indeed get activity. So I'm certain the the rear sensors are OK.

Any guidance before I give up and take it to the dealer?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've removed all of that, so I'm not sure.

With the oxygen sensor, that seems odd they work up front. Have you checked the harness to see if its any good?

I don't think there would be a fuse issue, but it wouldn't hurt to pull all the fuses and check them.

I'm assuming if you clear the codes, the come back right away?

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I live in California, so I'm legally not allowed to remove emissions components and still drive. Lucky me.

Could you please explain the process of checking the harness. I did check for continuity from the connector to the PCM connector.

I checked all fuses (Under hood and under dash) with my multimeter. All had continuity.

If I clear them yes, they do come back. First the P1443 then the P0156.

All help and input is appreciated!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Could you please explain the process of checking the harness. I did check for continuity from the connector to the PCM connector.
Yeah, thats what I meant. Take a multimeter to it quickly and check.

I don't have really any knowledge of the emissions junk, too bad you couldn't just pull it.
The 02 sensor seems odd not sure what else could be checked.
[MENTION=10997]g36 monkey[/MENTION] can you think of anything?

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
The harness is good then, I did indeed have contunuity. I verified 12v for heater and battery voltage. I read that there is a Orange wire ground for the O2 sensor? I couldn't find it...

Hoping I don't have to go into the stealership, but I'm running out of ideas...

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Ok, I've come to notice that with the P1443 code, it goes away every time I have a full tank of gas. Then comes back when I get to a 3/4 tank. Would it be logical to assume that with more fuel in my tank, more vapors are created that the PF Sensor sees? If so, then I'm looking for a leak near the gas tank, since I have replaced everything under the passenger fender-well?

What could be leaking? Aren't those lines steel all the way until they reach the passenger fender-well?

Also, I've moved some sensors around again testing to make sure I've got 4 working sensors, and this is what I see now. The replacement sensor (less than a month old) is stuck rich. I'm starting to not trust my scanner. Thinking I need to tap into the sensors with my multi-meter to verify accuracy.

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
Yea, I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body a few days after I got it. My scanner doesn't show any irregularities with the MAF, everything looks normal.

I'm stuck on this full gas tank thing turning my CEL off. Are there any seals on the gas tank or hoses that go bad? Can I check or will the thank need to be dropped?

Car is going to the dealer on Monday, hopefully. But if I can get one these fixed and I could save myself the cash I would greatly appreciate it.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any seals on the gas tank or hoses that go bad? Can I check or will the thank need to be dropped?
Filler neck grommets go bad on sn95. Not sure if that would cause these issues. I believe when they go bad they typically dump gas everywhere when doing things such as cornering with a full tank?

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
I've looked over that seal too! It looked very well intact, no leaks. Here in Northern Cali these seals tend to last longer..

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like your gas cap is bad. Typically the code you're getting come after a fill up.

Are you using Motorcraft O2 sensors? Typically the aftermarket ones constitute failure, to pass their quality inspections they only need to work something like 60% of the time. The quality demands are much higher on the Motorcraft parts.

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
Gas cap is new. I did not get a Motorcraft O2 but I made sure to avoid Bosch Sensors. As of now the 2 sensors that are not working are the OEM. I'll have to get some more...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do a vacuum leak test. Easiest way to do so, get a cigar, pull of your brake booster hose, light the cigar, get a mouth full of smoke, exhale into the hose (so it's going towards the motor) and watch for smoke coming out. Shops use a similar method with some crazy expensive machine, where you can use $0.72 on a swisher sweet to get the same results.

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ford dealer says Orientation matters for the Purge Flow Sensor as mine was backwards. They said my MAF is reporting out of spec for my area. They also suggested a fuel induction service, to clean out the fuel system of any gunk. They want $270 to replace my MAF. I'll end up replacing the MAF myself.

What do you all think about a the fuel service?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like them doing the service or you just running some sea foam through the gas tank? lol

OP
OP
Z

Zethioth

Reaction score
Well I assume their equipment is much stronger than Sea Foam and other Fuel System Cleaner additives. I'm just going to start with the MAF sensor replacement and see if my intermittent miss goes away. I'm always gonna get rid of the oiled K&N filter, which most likely led to the MAF sensor failure. Oil and Critical Electronics do not mix well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online