96blak54 Reanimated

d.garza18

Reaction score
Purchased an ebay radiator. Roughly $150 to the door. It showed up a few days ago and i managed to snap some pics. Sat it down in its new home, the fit is good. I do believei am going to delete the abs braking unit. I dont see its purpose useful here. Anyonw with experience deleting one, any info is welcomed.
View attachment 13233
I believe lmr sells them

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I moved mine back
Mine still works and I'll keep it that way

But I believe its just unhooking and plug the fittings
Not real sure
I may end up doing it later

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Been a few years since Ive updated my build thread. I have since acquired a new career path with the FAA and its been a God send. No more 7 days a week on night shift. I dont feel tired 100percent of the time. No overtime and i have the weekends off along with all the holidays. Im going on 4 months with the new position and im settling in good. From what i came from and the stress levels to what im doing now is night a day....literally.

Plans are in motion and fingers crossed Ill be wrenching on my car in about a 45 days. We got my sons 1989 F250 truck rebuilt and running really good with my new open schedule. I need to finish up some work in my shop. Then rebuild the upstairs bathroom. The bathroom is stripped down to wall studs, so its a matter of just putting in new. Then I got to do some training out of state for a few weeks with the new job. And then the plans(my plans, everyone else can kiss my _ _ _) are to get my car running again.

Catching up with what ive been moving towards with the car,

Rebuilding a set of NPI heads with bigger intake valves, cnc and hand ported ports,
Regrind the compcams I have for them,
Attempted machining a set of aluminium rods(fail). Simple fix to correct the fail, just needs time,
Freshen the 5.4l short block,

A few things ive been moving towards is eventually delete the fuel injection in favor of either carbureted or carb injection system and distributor drive driven from the camshaft. Im currently mocking up a dist drive valve cover and hacked up cheap aftermarket HEI distributor. Im using the stock composite valve cover. I made a brace to hold the distributor to the valve cover and be rigid. The brace was fitted to the distributor and then machined, which was oddly very rigid when being machined. I figured if the cover could withstand the pressures of being machined with steel attached to it, it can withstand its purpose during operations. Its a gray area of R&D, but im going to send it.....see what happens.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The distributor sticks out a tad....like 7inches...lol

But I had to start somewhere and i wasnt about to hack up a $350 msd. A remote coil mount dist cap is made for these as well and would cut down the length to 5inches. Ill be buying that here soon too.

You might be wondering why im not simply using aluminium valve covers instead. Well that was the original plan and I actually have a set of aluminium valve covers just for this project. Problem is the covers are not space saving conformed to the head like the composites are. They are bigger and box shaped. Me having the wide and big 5.4l, there wouldnt be room between the cover and brake reservoir and the a/c box. The covers would be rubbing against them.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
congrats on the new job. So no more inside info on the intakes?!
Sorry ttocs, i never noticed your post. The new job is great. No more nights, no more weekends and i still have connections at the old job for intake info.....which pretty much is a has-been. They were phasing out all manifold production at that facility. Sending all new manifold production down to Mexico. However the 7.3L/6.8L manifold is still being produced there. At one time, they produced nearly all Ford plastic manifolds there along with some Chevy, Nissan, Mazda, Dodge.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
1000002170.jpg

Im getting closer!

Since the year begining, Ive been telling the wife im going to be putting the car back together soon as current projects finish up and here we are at the end of March. The current projects mostly include house updates. Redoing the basement and upstairs bathroom. And then my new job traveling and training for weeks. Speaking of, ill be heading over to Oklahoma again in the middle of May. Ill be in Orlando for a week in April doing cheerleading competition. We just did a weekend of cheerleading competition in Gatlinburg TN. If anyone wants to meet and greet while im in your area, let me know.

Pictured is a npi head ill be running on a 5.4l. Its been cnc ported, hand ported, cut for bigger intake valves, seriously decked and will harness a modified set of comp 274 npi cams. But look at the rust on cam cap bolts.....i need to get busy!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I figured more would respond to the "CNC porting" judging by how the ports look. They look like trash, but thats the whole idea.

Honestly, ive debated stepping back to a 4.6l only because of size. These 5.4l are big and painful for literally no gain in HP

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I figured more would respond to the "CNC porting" judging by how the ports look. They look like trash, but thats the whole idea.

Honestly, ive debated stepping back to a 4.6l only because of size. These 5.4l are big and painful for literally no gain in HP
They don't look pretty but I bet they'll atomize the shit out of the mixture going in.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its not that way for the length of the port. Just there at the beginning.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Glad to see you doing well and making progress with the car man! Hoping to drag mine home soon and so I can start wrenching on it again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online